Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Build 1430: Error line everywhere

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Christopher Holt Posted - Nov 10 2005 : 1:38:08 PM
Ever since I upgraded to build 1430 I'm getting the error line all over the place in my source. What I mean by the error line is the red squiggly line under certain items in your source.

I'm using VS2005 RTM with C#. I'm currently working within an ASP.NET application but it happens in any project.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Aug 08 2006 : 01:23:16 AM
Case 913 is fixed in build 1531.
support Posted - Jun 19 2006 : 5:42:33 PM
Fixed in build 1524:

Option to prevent underlining of mistyped symbols is respected. (case=882)
Christopher Holt Posted - Mar 22 2006 : 3:51:10 PM
Ahh, I see now. Sorry about that.
feline Posted - Mar 22 2006 : 3:48:43 PM
Christopher my query was to macke, the post on Mar 16 2006

macke, it would probably help if you could post this, along with a bit more detail, in a new thread to help cut down on possible confusion.
Christopher Holt Posted - Mar 22 2006 : 12:44:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

brian i am seeing the same thing

case=970

Christopher, is this problem limited to members that you add to the partial class via the IDE, e.g. with the form designer? or are you also seeing it with members that you yourself are manually adding? there is a known outstanding bug with members added automatically by the form designer.

I believe it is just members added through the designer.
Christopher Holt Posted - Mar 22 2006 : 12:42:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

you are going to have to help me a bit here. i have placed this into a C# program in VS2005 with VA 1440, since i am assuming that this is C# 2 code.

the only words that are *not* underlined as mistyped symbols are "new" and "delegate" *sigh*

i know some basic C# in VS2003, but never really got this far.

I lost the context of what you need help with. The fix I'm waiting for you said you could already reproduce (case 913, I believe).
feline Posted - Mar 21 2006 : 5:47:12 PM
you are going to have to help me a bit here. i have placed this into a C# program in VS2005 with VA 1440, since i am assuming that this is C# 2 code.

the only words that are *not* underlined as mistyped symbols are "new" and "delegate" *sigh*

i know some basic C# in VS2003, but never really got this far.
macke Posted - Mar 16 2006 : 6:03:04 PM
I see the issue when using anonymous methods.

The following code produces underlining in the method declaration:

connection.MessageRecieved += new MessageEventHandler(
delegate(Connection connection, MessageEventArgs e)
{
	ProcessMessage(connection, e.Message);
});

"e" and "e.Message" gets underlined. Well, except for the dot in "e.Message". Code compiles and works just fine though.
feline Posted - Jan 25 2006 : 3:15:13 PM
brian i am seeing the same thing

case=970

Christopher, is this problem limited to members that you add to the partial class via the IDE, e.g. with the form designer? or are you also seeing it with members that you yourself are manually adding? there is a known outstanding bug with members added automatically by the form designer.
Christopher Holt Posted - Jan 24 2006 : 5:31:30 PM
I see the problem (case 913) on newly added members of anything to do with partial classes (Web Forms, Forms, etc.).
brian_winfield Posted - Jan 24 2006 : 3:05:45 PM
I was able to reproduce in 1440 with the following:
Create a windows C# class library. This will create a file Class1.cs In the file put the following:

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Text;
using System.Diagnostics;

namespace ClassLibrary1
{
public class Class1
{

public bool foobar
{
[DebuggerStepThrough()]
get { return true; }
}
}
}

The DebuggerStepThrough will be underlined in red
feline Posted - Jan 23 2006 : 5:26:50 PM
you are correct, case 913 is still in the list of things to address. this only effects newly added member variables on forms in C#. are you seeing other types of member variables underlined as mistyped symbols?

if you are then can you give me any clues on how to reproduce this?
Christopher Holt Posted - Jan 23 2006 : 07:08:32 AM
Build 1440 does not fix the main problem of the thread, Case 913. But it does seem
to fix the problem with the namespaces not being parsed properly (at least in C#), which is
what you reported fixed in the thread (Case 884). This seemed to be only
quarter of the problem I was experiencing. My main problem is with member
variables being marked as mistyped symbols.
feline Posted - Jan 22 2006 : 1:42:53 PM
odd. using VS2003 and VA 1440 i cannot reproduce this in a pure C++ project, i.e. there is no .NET code here. into a header file i have placed the code:

namespace XYZ
{
    class felineColour
    {
    public:
        felineColour();
        ~felineColour();
        void MyFn();

private:
        int m_MyVar;
    };
}

i have checked, and this compiles quite happily, so i have not made any typo's with the namespace. i wanted to check, since i do not normally define them. in the matching cpp file, at line 6 (there are three #include lines above this) i added the code block:

using namespace XYZ;

felineColour::felineColour()
{
    m_MyVar = 0;
}

// checkkkking out speelining error underlining in comments
void felineColour::MyFn()
{
    m_MyVar = 1;
    banana = 2;
}

as the attached screen shot shows, VA is only underlining the things it should. i have changed the underline colour for VA's mistyped symbols to be more distinct, to avoid any confusion with the IDE.

if i comment out the undeclaired banana line then this code also compiles fine. can you try this example in your code and see what happens? it is possible that VA is failing under more complex conditions, or it could be something about your IDE or project settings that is confusing VA.

is this underlining a new problem, or were you getting it with the previous version of VA that you used?
rsim Posted - Jan 19 2006 : 5:16:28 PM
I just tried out a few things, and while at the top of the CPP file I have "using namespace XYZ;", I still have to fully specify XYZ to avoid VA incorrectly underlining symbols.

In other words, this will underline m_MyVar:
using namespace XYZ;

void MyClass::MyFN()
{
   m_MyVar = 1;
}

While this does not (which is correct):

using namespace XYZ;

void XYZ::MyClass::MyFN()
{
   m_MyVar = 1;
}
rsim Posted - Jan 19 2006 : 4:56:59 PM
I'm still seeing this issue in (native) C++ projects in 1440.
support Posted - Jan 19 2006 : 12:33:15 AM
Case 884 is fixed in 1440.

Namespaces within using statements of C# are recognized and parsed properly.

If you experienced this bug, please confirm the fix works for you.
feline Posted - Dec 15 2005 : 5:45:38 PM
if you open this file on its own, so no solution open, do you get the same problem? if so what are the options for posting or emailing this file?

if this is commercial code, which is common here, then can you try and trim the file right down, so you still get the problem, but the file is so small and meaningless it can be emailed to me?

plus are you seeing this with any other files?
rsim Posted - Dec 13 2005 : 5:09:22 PM
Yep, this is in C++.

I just happened to be working on a file that had this occur at the time I read this, so I restarted the IDE, made a change, and Boom! Underlines. Again, the underlines go away as soon as the opening { of the anonymous namespace is on-screen.

Yes, I've changed the VA underline to be purple for this exact reason. :) Planning in advance!

English XP, VS 2003, VA 1432.
feline Posted - Dec 12 2005 : 2:08:02 PM
rsim i have occasionally seen problems like this in C++ when something in the file totally confuses the parser. are you working in C++? at first i assumed you were using C# since so much of this thread has been about C#, but i am seeing a pointer return type in this screen shot.

if the code is confusing the parser (which seems more likely in C++ than C#) then this effect should persist after you restart the IDE.

which IDE and version of VA are you using? can you keep an eye out for any files that show these sort of odd effects and try them after a restart? you may have to make a code edit in the file before any underlining takes place, adding a known invalid variable is a good test for this.

given the colour of the underlines am i correct in saying you have changed the VA mistyped symbol colour to purple? if so then we can be certain that VA is doing this.

looking at the screen shot, is GetContainer() the first function in this file to return a AnimContainer* ? i don't see anything else obvious about this function that would explain why the underlining starts there *puzzled*

are you using an English OS? if not then foreign language characters could be a factor, although this is rather grasping at straws.
rsim Posted - Dec 06 2005 : 4:19:06 PM
It's hard to say if this is a repo case for what I see or not - for me, the underlines happen on every member variable and their methods, not just the recently added ones.

A very strange thing I found yesterday was that in two separate files at two different times, the underlines would only show up if the start of an anonymous namespace was NOT on screen at the time - as soon as I scrolled that line in view the underlines would disappear (and reappear if I scrolled it back off screen). After a while it just gave up and always had the underlines though.
To add further twists to the case, sometimes half the file is OK, then randomly it just breaks part way through.

Christopher Holt Posted - Dec 06 2005 : 08:00:15 AM
There are other times I get the problem but I think they all fall under the categories of unknown namespace or the member variables issue.

I'm glad we finally nailed this one.
Looking forward to the fixes.

Chris
feline Posted - Dec 05 2005 : 6:35:58 PM
good! i finally caught this one in the act is there any other problem with underlining that i do not seem to have pinned down yet?
Christopher Holt Posted - Dec 05 2005 : 07:49:32 AM
Exactly!! That is exactly the behavior I'm getting.
feline Posted - Dec 04 2005 : 4:02:00 PM
*ah* excellent clue, i am now getting the same problem in a small test project. for me closing and reloading the IDE removes the mistyped symbol underlining from existing member variables, while new controls that you add are underlined.

do you get the same effect?

case=913
Christopher Holt Posted - Dec 01 2005 : 3:38:08 PM
Not Sure if you could see the picture in the last posts.

The mistyped symbols on the member variables definitely always seem to appear after adding a new UI control to a web form/windows form.
It is as though it doesn't reparse the auto-generated code.
feline Posted - Dec 01 2005 : 3:23:20 PM
that website does not resize my images when i upload them, there is probably a tick box for this on the upload page.

as for this underlining, can you watch for any trigger or pattern? before now i have seen problems in one file show up when you open a second, linked file. perhaps something similar is happening here.

another possibility is that VA does not underlined mistyped symbols in a file until after you start editing it. so if it considers the member variables to be unknown you may not be told about this until after changing something in this file.
Christopher Holt Posted - Nov 30 2005 : 9:33:46 PM
Here is a better picture. Getting used to the web program. It automatically resized the picture.

Christopher Holt Posted - Nov 30 2005 : 9:27:38 PM
The problem is not stable. If I close down the IDE and come back into the project. The members are now bolded in the intellisense and they are no longer underlined.
Christopher Holt Posted - Nov 30 2005 : 9:21:03 PM
Thanks feline for that website.
Here is the screenshot

I will try what you said and let you know.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000