New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2004 :  2:47:09 PM  Show Profile
First of all, I have a "Solution" which contains several "Projects". In the good old days of VC6, to make one the Projects the one that executes when you hit F5, all you did was set it as the "Current Project." With the crappy new IDE, the only way I can see to do this is to right-click on the Project in the "Solution Explorer" window, and then choose the "Debug, Start New Instance" menu item. If there's a less annoying way, I'd love to hear about it.

Anyway, the VAX bug is, whenever I use the above-mentioned menu item, VAX's "Syntax Coloring" disappears. I have to go into the "VAX Options" dialog, select the "Fonts and Colors" tab, and check the "Enhance Syntax Coloring" checkbox, which has magically gotten unchecked.

Have I mention today that the .NET IDE is a piece of crap compared to the VC6 version? Hell, 1,52 was easier to work with than this...

Edited by - LarryLeonard on Mar 16 2004 3:43:06 PM

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2004 :  2:59:44 PM  Show Profile
You have to simply right-click your desired project, and select "Set as starting project" (using the German Version, it says "Als Startprojekt festlegen").
It is the option just above the "Debug" Submenu-entry...

Then you can press F5 and everytime the chosen project is started...

Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2004 :  3:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Nope, nope, nope. As I said, that's how it *used* in work in VC6, but that does *not* work in /NET 2003 - at least not for me.

Are you saying that *does* work for you?
Go to Top of Page

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2004 :  3:36:34 PM  Show Profile
Setting a project as the startup project and hitting F5 to run it does work for me in .NET 2003. What error are you getting?
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2004 :  3:42:36 PM  Show Profile
No error, it just runs another project, one that is not set as the "Starting Project".

This Solution was imported from VC6, so probably it's a bug in the way the DSW/DSP files were converted to SLN/VCPROJ files. Now that I know that it's supposed to work the way it used to, I can at least have a place to start debugging it - thanks.

As far as the VAX coloring bug goes, is anyone else having this issue when the do the same thing I do (that is, don't hit F5, do it the way I'm forced to do it)?
Go to Top of Page

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2004 :  3:58:19 PM  Show Profile
Syntax coloring does disappear for me when I right click and start debug from the project.
Go to Top of Page

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2004 :  4:04:12 PM  Show Profile
Actually it turned out to be much worse. My syntax coloring went away so I tried to restart VS.NET to get it back. When I restarted VS.NET my windows were all messed up, my output window was at max. When I closed output window my VS instance just hung forever. Then I reopened VS and my windows are all hosed and I had to reset them. I'm not trying that again.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  02:16:07 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LarryLeonard

Nope, nope, nope. As I said, that's how it *used* in work in VC6, but that does *not* work in /NET 2003 - at least not for me.

Are you saying that *does* work for you?

You mean changing the "Startup"-Project by doing what I described?

Yep, works here, on VS .NET 2002 and 2003!

But, and that might be a clue, I didn't convert a VS 6.0 Project... All my "multiple-projects"-Solutions are created in VS .NET 2002 or 2003...

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  09:36:31 AM  Show Profile
Larry, http://www.codeproject.com/tools/prjconverter.asp if you ever get stuck on VC7. And yes, I agree the IDE sucks for C++. Its nice for C#, web and other stuff, but C++ ??? No thanks.
Go to Top of Page

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  09:50:10 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kschaab

Syntax coloring does disappear for me when I right click and start debug from the project.

And if files aren't colored before, they become colored when starting the debugger. It works both ways.

-- Greg Stelmack, Red Storm Entertainment
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  3:16:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
And if files aren't colored before, they become colored when starting the debugger. It works both ways.
Wow, so it's toggling that checkbox... sounds like someone renumbered their resource.h file?

Edited by - LarryLeonard on Mar 17 2004 12:43:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  3:45:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:
In the good old days of VC6, to make one the Projects the one that executes when you hit F5, all you did was set it as the "Current Project." With the crappy new IDE, the only way I can see to do this is to right-click on the Project in the "Solution Explorer" window, and then choose the "Debug, Start New Instance" menu item.
Just as a followup, F5 now works for me as it should. I must have opened and saved the sln file enough times, or some such magic.

The coloring bug is still there, though.
Go to Top of Page

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2004 :  12:40:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LarryLeonard

quote:
Wow, so it's toggling that checkbox... sounds like someone renumbered their resource.h file?

Just to confirm here, yes it is in fact toggling the check box. When I check the options and my file is uncolored, the check box is cleared and all the options grayed out.

-- Greg Stelmack, Red Storm Entertainment
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2004 :  12:46:36 PM  Show Profile
Fixed in 1222.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly