VS2005 and VSS might block typing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2005 :  12:59:39 PM  Show Profile
Customers with VS2005 and Visual Source Safe who upgraded through various releases of VS2005 might be blocked from typing. The workaround is to rebuild the solution file. The problem does not occur with clean installs of VS2005.

kilroytrout

8 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  10:43:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm having this problem with the RC and C++ with VS 05 and the latest RC of V Assist X - VSS never installed & clean installation. It just starts blocking everything but the enter key. The only thing that fixes it is to close reopen file or disable/enable V Assist.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2005 :  2:53:50 PM  Show Profile
have you tried deleting any *.ncb files that you might have? these are a known source of problems with VS 2003.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2005 :  12:14:29 PM  Show Profile
Is your installation of VS2005 clean, i.e. you did not upgrade from a beta version of VS2005? (Another user told us the problem existed only on PCs that had previously a VS2005 beta.)

Edited by - support on Nov 24 2005 12:59:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

kilroytrout

8 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2005 :  7:47:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

Is your installation of VS2005 clean, i.e. you did not upgrade from a beta version of VS2005? (Another user told us the problem existed only on PCs that had previously a VS2005 beta.)

Yes it's clean as far as no previous VS 05 betas. VS 03, however, was present.

It's still happening from time to time.

Edited by - kilroytrout on Nov 24 2005 7:49:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  7:43:11 PM  Show Profile
Do you have any other add-ins installed?

Are your sources local?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2005 :  11:30:00 PM  Show Profile
We are reluctant to ask for a log file since the problem seems to occur after quite a bit of editing. Our logs would get unwieldy.

If you find a case where the problem occurs without much delay, we would welcome a log.

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.html#log
Go to Top of Page

kilroytrout

8 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  11:49:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

Do you have any other add-ins installed?

No
quote:

Are your sources local?

Yes

Edited by - kilroytrout on Nov 29 2005 11:51:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

tragib

USA
15 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  2:15:41 PM  Show Profile
kilroytrout,

Do you use the horizontal or vertical tab groups in the IDE?

I'm able to recreate a blocked typing scenario in VS2K5 on two different projects (on different machines), one in source control via VSS and one in a project that is not associated with source control. If you open two files and select 'New Horizontal (or Vertical) Tab Group' from the context menu on the tab of the second file, then switch back to the first file, the typing is blocked on the first file. The second file (on the right) should be ok. The enter key and the backspace key work corretly, and if I type very fast, some of the keystrokes actually work.

After switching back and forth between the tabbed windows, the problem corrects itself and I'm able to type in both windows.

If I disable VAX, the problem clears immediately.

Both machines I've recreated this on have not had any of the beta versions of VS installed. One has VSS as the default source control provider, the other has SourceGear Vault as the default provider, but it's not used in the IDE (no scc plugin is active).

VAX is build 1434.

I hope this is enough for support or feline to recreate the scenario...

Edited by - tragib on Nov 29 2005 2:18:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  5:12:59 PM  Show Profile
very clear instructions tragib, thank you for that

i reproduced this very easily here on a test system. i have yet to see changing files with the mouse fix the blocked typing, but the keyboard shortcut CTRL-F6 fixed this problem immediately, allowing me to type as normal in both windows after changing focus a couple of times.

kilroytrout if you are doing this, or something similar can you try CTRL-F6 and see what effect, if any, it has on your system?

case=899

Go to Top of Page

vector

2 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2005 :  3:51:33 PM  Show Profile
FWIW, I've been having this problem regularly since moving to VC2005. Switching tabs with the mouse doesn't help, nor does disable/enabling VAX, but the Crtl-F6 fix works everytime. Thanks a lot for the work-around-- very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2005 :  4:04:22 PM  Show Profile
it comes of being keyboard centric i always swap between split window sections with the keyboard when using them, so i discovered this by accident, making the bug hard to discover *rolls eyes*

Go to Top of Page

kilroytrout

8 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2005 :  12:00:36 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by feline

very clear instructions tragib, thank you for that

i reproduced this very easily here on a test system. i have yet to see changing files with the mouse fix the blocked typing, but the keyboard shortcut CTRL-F6 fixed this problem immediately, allowing me to type as normal in both windows after changing focus a couple of times.

kilroytrout if you are doing this, or something similar can you try CTRL-F6 and see what effect, if any, it has on your system?

case=899

I'm using vertical tab groups yes. CTRL-F6 doesn't solve the problem, although switching between windows sometimes does. It's happening with increasing regularity for some reason, and I've had to abandon use of VAX for now.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  2:20:34 PM  Show Profile
could you post a screen shot of your screen layout? given the problem we have already identified with two tab bars there could be other problems that only show up under very precise conditions. i can then setup a system with as close to the same screen layout as possible, and see what happens.

does CTRL-F6 change screens for you? in the IDE tools menu -> options -> keyboard which keyboard mapping are you using? if you are using a custom mapping, or something other than "Visual C++ 6" can you try switching to "Visual C++ 6" and then re-trying CTRL-F6?

can you see any pattern or trigger as to when typing gets blocked? do you always work with more than one tab bar? does this ever happen with only one tab bar?

Go to Top of Page

kilroytrout

8 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  8:38:23 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by feline

could you post a screen shot of your screen layout? given the problem we have already identified with two tab bars there could be other problems that only show up under very precise conditions. i can then setup a system with as close to the same screen layout as possible, and see what happens.

does CTRL-F6 change screens for you? in the IDE tools menu -> options -> keyboard which keyboard mapping are you using? if you are using a custom mapping, or something other than "Visual C++ 6" can you try switching to "Visual C++ 6" and then re-trying CTRL-F6?

can you see any pattern or trigger as to when typing gets blocked? do you always work with more than one tab bar? does this ever happen with only one tab bar?

CNTRL-F6 changes screens yes and *sometimes* the problem is fixed this way.

I work with 2-4 split screens with tabs on a 1920x1200 monitor. I also always work in Full Screen mode.

Still having this issue with the most recent build :-)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2005 :  4:16:11 PM  Show Profile
any chance of a screen shot showing your standard screen layout? i use http://photobucket.com/ for hosting pictures i post here. i don't know how it compares to other sites, but it is free and it is enough for what i need.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  11:49:21 AM  Show Profile
Problem with typing and horizontal tab groups is fixed in 1438.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000