Blank Tooltips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gumtree

9 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  9:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New job, new project new environment.

The first thing I do is install Visual Assist as I hoped it would really help sift through the enormous amount of existing code here.

Almost nothing works.... Tried version 15xx and 1446. Using VS2003.

First problem: Blank Tooltips. Sometimes I get VaX generated tooltips that look familiar. Most of the time I get a blank box of varying size with nothing in it.

Any help?

Rogier

gumtree

9 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  11:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never mind...

Updated display drivers (NVidia Quadro) and now my tooltips actually have content!

Rogier
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  11:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's odd, we hardly ever see reports of video drivers being an issue.

Are the other features working? You mention "almost nothing works", a good place to start is OFIW, if the files are not being listed then VA cannot find the code. If it cannot find the code it will not be offering you much help with it.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jonnyt_

8 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  6:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having the same problem. All my tooltips are just white. They seems to change size based on the signature of the function, leading me to believe that the text is white on white or something similar.
Go to Top of Page

jonnyt_

8 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  6:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O... K...

I changed my desktop appearance colors to a different setting, and then changed it back - and now it works fine.

Meh - whatever - at least it works.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  07:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats odd, to put it mildly, but as you say, at least it now works.

Go to Top of Page

jonnyt_

8 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  09:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The blank tooltips are back, and now I can't get rid of them permanently.

Sometimes they are there, but usually they are blank. Each time I switch away from visual studio and back it changes. I would say there is a bout 25% chance of having working tooltips. Usually I can get the tooltips back by hitting ALT-TAB and testing several times. Sometimes clicking on random visual studio windows helps bring them back too.

As I said earlier, the boxes resize based on the information within, so the data must be parsed. However all that is rendered is the box border. Not even the standard tooltip background is shown, you can see the stuff under the tooltip - just a black box border is drawn.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  10:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please go to:

VA Options -> About -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into this thread. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

Have you checked for new / updated video drivers?

Go to Top of Page

jonnyt_

8 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  11:07:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am working on a game so my video drivers are up to date, and even if they weren't I couldn't change them.

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1555.0 built 2007.04.26
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (48-user license) Support ends 2008.02.07
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.0
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.4
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.762
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.762
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft DirectX SDK (April 2007)\\Include;
D:\\Program Files\\Codejock Software\\MFC\\Xtreme ToolkitPro v9.81\\Source;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\include;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\include;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;

Library Includes:
D:\\Program Files\\Codejock Software\\MFC\\Xtreme ToolkitPro v9.81\\Source;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

Go to Top of Page

jonnyt_

8 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  3:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Restarted my computer, and now it seems to be behaving itself again. But the same thing happened last time. I restarted, and it worked for a while, but then started screwing around again.

Anyways, just adding more info.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - May 16 2007 :  08:20:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What sort of up time are you seeing before the tooltip problem appears?
Are you ever hibernating your machine?

I run into a problem on my machine that after about a week of hibernating at the end of the day I have to reboot it, since new windows can no longer be created. Something somewhere seems to be leaking some form of resource, but I have seen this on different machines, for a couple of years, and never been able to find any form of pattern.

I am wondering if something similar is happening on your system.

Go to Top of Page

jonnyt_

8 Posts

Posted - May 16 2007 :  09:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since my last reboot I haven't seen it. I am thinking perhaps that it interacts with some other application. I will post again if it starts happening again.
Go to Top of Page

code42

20 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  10:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've recently selected the option to show the VA tooltips because i've disabled visual studio's intellisense. Now i'm seeing the same behavior -- only the black border is being drawn for the tooltips. Did this ever get figured out? It does it in either VS 2003 and VS 2005.

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1557.0 built 2007.05.29

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  11:50:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately we never got anywhere with this.

Are you seeing this problem all of the time? Only some of the time?
Is there any pattern to this?

Does turning off:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Tooltips

make any difference?

Are you referring to the option:

VA Options -> Advanced -> General -> Enable automatic Quick Info ToolTips

? This should only show in VS2005, and only effect this IDE. So I would not expect it to effect VS2003, but it might be.

Go to Top of Page

code42

20 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  2:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I rebooted yesterday, and it started working. I know i've seen these kind of strange tooltips before. I'll comment more when i've got more data. Maybe i'll get lucky, and it won't happen again.

Oh, and btw, Toggling this option:
VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Tooltips
had no effect.

Go to Top of Page

kevinsikes
Tomato Guru

USA
271 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  3:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if you're experiencing a GDI resource leak in one of the processes running on your machine. When this happens, are other applications able to display tooltips? If your machine gets in this state again, launch task manager and choose View - Select Columns - GDI Objects. Sort by GDI object count and see if one or more processes has a count much greater than other processes, and whether that count is steadily increasing.

Kevin Sikes
Infotainment Platform Design Engineer
Ford Motor Company
Go to Top of Page

mduggan
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  9:10:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having the same problem with blank tooltips here, and have had the problem on-and-off for many builds over the last 2 years. The tooltips aren't so much blank as have not painted anything inside their boxes - the text behind is still visible.

I've found in the past that some combination of rebooting, deleting caches, NCBs etc, and restarting VS has helped. The problem will go away for weeks/months at a time, then return. I'd never worked out exactly how to fix it though - I'd just apply deleting/restarting voodoo magic.

Uptime doesn't seem to make a difference, as currently I've only been up 3 days. Also, isn't an NVidia-specific thing as I have an ATI card here.

I also noticed that the tooltips are only broken in the editor - the VA View and toolbar tips are fine. In fact, if I mouseover a function and wait for it to appear in VA view, I can still only get a blank tip in the editor pane, but get a proper tip by mousing-over the VA view.

The "Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Tooltips" option makes no difference.

I've tested with both VS2003 and VS2005. Most of the problems I've seen are in 2003 - the situation seems to be a bit better in 2005. *Most* tooltips work there (hover in the editor, function arguments), however the tips that appear to the right of the auto-complete dropdown are still empty. For example, in a C# file typing "Math.T[CTRL-SPACE]" gives me a dropdown with options, but a blank rectangle next to the selected one. Once I've selected one, I can press ( to get a correct tooltip.

Just as I got to the end of writing all that, I had a thought. I opened up the Troubleshoot pane of the video driver and dropped the "hardware acceleration" doohicky from the second bottom (I'd been having trouble with OpenGL) to bottom, and hit apply. Suddenly my tips are back. Stupid thing is, if I go back up to full acceleration, the tips are still ok.

So, it probably is a video driver problem of some sort after all.

I hope that info helps!

- Matthew
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  09:04:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is certainly very interesting. It sounds like only VA tooltips over the editor are effected, and that tooltips from the IDE are not effected. This would explain the reappearing tooltip when you typed an open bracket, assuming the IDE provided the parameter info tooltip that appeared.

Next time you see this problem can you try *just* rebooting, and not doing anything else?

We have a couple of other customers reporting these "blank" tooltips, and for them rebooting on its own fixes the problem, which suggests they are seeing some form of resource leak. We are currently trying to figure out where the leak is coming from. It does not look like it is coming from VA, but we have not found where it is coming from *sigh*

If rebooting on its own is not enough to fix this problem for you then it suggests a slightly different cause is at work.

Go to Top of Page

bbetov

2 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  3:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was so frustrated by having the same problem. After playing with many settings (Font smoothing, acceleration settings, bunch of NVIDIA settings, etc.) I found that changing from 32bit color to 16bit color seems to have solved it for me. No problems today since in the morning I changed to 16bit colors, so I think that's it...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  3:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you check your system and see if the process "wisptis.exe" is running?

I have been discussing this with another user via email, and he has "wisptis.exe" running in the background, and this process is leaking GDI Objects. This resource leek seems to be the cause of his problems, so it is possible you are running into the same problem.

See here for details on "wisptis.exe"

http://blogs.technet.com/kclemson/archive/2004/06/21/161986.aspx
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/wisptis.exe.html

Go to Top of Page

bbetov

2 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  11:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not have "wisptis.exe" running, but one more bit of information. I needed to set to 16bit color only one of my monitors. The other one is still 32bit and all seems happy.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  1:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is very strange. At a wild guess it sounds like some form of problem with the video card drivers.

Go to Top of Page

beylevem
Tomato Guru

102 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  11:38:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I experienced the same problem. Transparent tooltips with a black border. Disabling an re-enabling VA, and restarting devenv did not cure the problem. A reboot, however, did. Just another data point :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000