New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  02:17:44 AM  Show Profile
Build 1554 is a publicly announced release candidate that includes a hidden beta feature named VA Outline.

VA Outline is a tool window that gives you an active high-level view of the contents of the current text editor. As you add, modify or remove methods, classes or other file-scope declarations in the editor, the outline will reflect those changes. Changes to the outline via cut, paste or delete are instantly reflected in the editor.

Best of all, you can use drag and drop in the outline to rearrange the contents of the editor. This is quite helpful after Extract Method or Move Implementation to Source File for those users that are particular about the order of methods in their source files.

The tool window has a context menu that allows you to either display outline nodes for comments or hide them to reduce visual noise. When comment nodes are not displayed, comments are associated with the following construct so that, for example, moving a method also moves its comment.

The feature requires a reset of Visual Studio. No reset is required of VC6. If you have installed 1554 but did not allow the installer to reset the IDE and wish to try the feature, run Visual Studio from the command line with the /setup command argument:
devenv /setup

To make this feature visible in Visual Assist X, run the registry script that follows prior to starting the IDE.

Please report bugs, one per topic, in this forum.

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/getBuild.asp?1554

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VANet8]
"DebugOutline"="1"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VANet]
"DebugOutline"="1"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VANet7.0]
"DebugOutline"="1"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VA6]
"DebugOutline"="1"

Copy the above lines, paste into a text editor and save as a .reg file.
Exit all IDE instances.
Run the saved registry script.
Start the IDE.
In Visual Studio, the outline toolwindow should appear the next time you start the IDE.
In Visual Studio, the new VA Outline command will appear in the VAssistX | Tools menu and can be used to display the toolwindow.
In VC6, the outline will appear in the workspace window (Enable VA View must be checked on the Advanced|C/C++ 6.0 page of the VA Options dialog).

Edited by - sean on Sep 24 2007 12:44:40 PM

alextooter
Ketchup Master

55 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  10:23:09 AM  Show Profile
It's really cool, but after I add the registry key, and reset my visual c++ 2003, I can't find any new tool window.

Can you tell me how to open this window?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  10:40:12 AM  Show Profile
You should have the new menu option:

VAssistX -> Tools -> VA Outline

which turns on this window.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

NOPcode
Ketchup Master

USA
82 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  11:39:30 AM  Show Profile
The download link no longer works with Firefox - continuallly redirects back to the download page; it does work with IE.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  3:29:20 PM  Show Profile
Firefox 2.0.0.3 here, running on winXP pro SP2, and the download link in this thread works perfectly for me.

I have various extensions installed, and lots of security settings maxed out, but I have JavaScript and cookies enabled for the wholetomato domain.

Is it possible you have turned off / blocked JavaScript for this site?

Go to Top of Page

NOPcode
Ketchup Master

USA
82 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  08:05:52 AM  Show Profile
1.5.06 stock, no extensions or filtering, java+javascript turned on, nothing blocked.

Also the hidden DebugOutline feature is also not working for me, same as alex.
Go to Top of Page

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  08:48:02 AM  Show Profile
Did you guys copy everything for the registry script and put it into a .reg file so it's all imported into the registry? Or did you just insert the key for your specific IDE. I did the latter first and it didn't work I imported all the keys and it worked just fine.

Tools Engineer - Raven Software
VS2005 SP2/VS2008 SP1 - VAX <LATEST> - Win 7 x64

Go to Top of Page

alextooter
Ketchup Master

55 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  11:05:38 AM  Show Profile
Yes, rhummer, you are right.
It works after I did what you said.
Thanks a lot.

o(-?+?_-?+?)o
Go to Top of Page

NOPcode
Ketchup Master

USA
82 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  11:15:03 AM  Show Profile
Yes, did the cut'n'paste into a .reg file - no worky. Oh well.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  11:38:48 AM  Show Profile
If you are using VS, does the VA Outline command appear in your VAssistX | Tools menu?

If you are using vc6, then the VA View option needs to be enabled (VA Options|Advanced|C/C++ 6.0|Enable VA View).
Go to Top of Page

AdyR
Ketchup Master

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  11:47:25 AM  Show Profile
Looks like it could be good but I have had a couple of issues.

1. I dragged a non-class function, which was in the middle of the classes, to the bottom of the list and it disappeared. When I looked in the code it had been inserted inside the last function, just before the ending }. The last } was on the last line of the file. If I added a new line after the brace then the function is added after the last function.

2. I highlighted a block of non-class variables from the middle of the list to place them just before the top class methods branch and it left the last one of the variables behind. Any further attempts to move the remaining variable failed.

Also, could the constants have a branch rather than being in the root?

Ady
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  11:55:47 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NOPcode

1.5.06 stock, no extensions or filtering, java+javascript turned on, nothing blocked.

I have just installed Firefox 1.5.0.11 onto a win2k machine, accepting the defaults.

When I point this version of Firefox at this thread, and click on the download link a new window opens, and then the download starts and I get the "open or save" dialog for the installer.

So this seems to be working quite happily for me, no matter what I do *puzzled*

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000