Find Derived Classes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GerdH

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 16 2007 :  3:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really appreciate the Find References command you added recently. ItG??s faster and better than using Find and Replace in Visual Studio for finding all occurrences of a symbol.

Another problem I often have is generating a list of all classes that derive from a base class. When a base class modification requires inspection of all derived classes, it can take a while to build this list manually. It seems like your symbol table probably contains class hierarchy information.

Would you consider adding a command to display:
1) Immediate derivation of a class
2) Concrete derivation
3) All derivations of a class.

____
Gerd

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  12:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the moment if you use Find References on a virtual function in the base class VA will scan the derived classes, looking for instances of this function. This is not quite the same, but it should help.

To find immediate derivation of the class simply use Find References on the class name, this will find the class name when it is being listed as the parent class for the new classes. The only problem here is that these entries will be mixed in with all other entries.

I have put in a feature request for a command like this, I can see the appeal and how it would help:

case=6647

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000