Feature Requests
 Syntax Highlighting Suggestion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eddieparker

39 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  2:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, as it's a suggestion for people *using* Visual Assist, but I find it quite useful:

I use syntax highlighting to help me find when Visual Assist can/can't understand a symbol. If you set the colour for 'Identifier' to something very apparently wrong (bright red, in my case). Since VA colourizes everything it understands, the only things that'll be garishly red will be those things that VA couldn't parse properly (usually macros, or identifiers generated from macros).

I find this useful so I can use F12 vs Alt-G appropriately, mostly, but maybe there's some other uses for it.

Just thought I'd share.

-e-

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  11:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An interesting thought, thank you for sharing this.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

hfrmobile
Ketchup Master

Austria
79 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  09:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice idea! Thank you for sharing.

But there are disadvantages:
1. std::string(L"text") --> the L will be displayed as red; if using Unicode you'll often have L"" instead of "" string constants
2. when opening a source file all identifiers are displayed red for a short time (<1 sec) (Syntax coloring from VS and then the enhanced syntax coloring will take effect)

But anyway it is a cool idea!

Visual Assist X for C/C++ and ReSharper, FxCop and StyleCop for C#, Eclipse Ganymede for Java
Go to Top of Page

hfrmobile
Ketchup Master

Austria
79 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  03:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just encountered a third drawback:
3. Copy&Paste into an app (RTF Editor, MS Word, ...) will use the syntax coloring from VS (even VA enhanced coloring is enabled) and so you'll get tons of red identifiers which isn't very beautifully if e.g. posting code snippets in a blog etc.

Visual Assist X for C/C++ and ReSharper, FxCop and StyleCop for C#, Eclipse Ganymede for Java
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000