Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Find function by parameter or return type

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MikMik Posted - Feb 14 2023 : 05:53:29 AM
Hi,
Sometimes I would like to have some way to find a function by searching for the return type and/or the parameter types, as well as its name, or part of it.

For example, I've found in our codebase some old reimplementation of the max function, with a different name, and I was trying to find more if there are any more, to remove them.

If I could search for "A function that contains max in its name (to cover "GetMax", "Maximum", "Maximo"...), takes 2 doubles and returns a double", it would be easier...

Or "I know there must be some function that takes so and so, and returns bool"...
Right now, we have some inconsistent names, and searching for the right function takes some time.

Could something like this be added to Visual Assist?
Thanks!
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MikMik Posted - Feb 14 2023 : 08:16:49 AM
Thanks! Yes, I've used a regexp, but, as you know, they are not exactly trivial to use.
feline Posted - Feb 14 2023 : 06:39:46 AM
We are considering changing the Find Symbol dialog to allow searching of parameters. One reason for caution here is performance, since large solutions tend to have a lot of symbols listed in this dialog. When we do look at this then adding the return type is worth considering.

case=61242

For now you would need to consider some form of regular expression search string, which is likely to return quite a lot of extra stuff.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000