Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 C# Support

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mike ONeill Posted - Jul 09 2017 : 06:07:45 AM
Hi

I have come back to VA after a wee sojourn , I am actually retired but I still code a bit for fun. I had a choice to renew VA or R# (or both) I plumped for VA. The prime reason being that the licenses on both limited me to VS 2013 , I wanted to move to 2017.

Looking at the forum after a few years absence and at VA itself it seems to have gone even more C++ than it was.

I program only in C# and the occasional VB. I suspect VB has definitely gone , it was always a bit of a Cinderella anyway.

Can I assume that C# will be supported as strongly as C++ going forward. Having used VA a little since my resumption it doesn't look to advanced much since I left it 4 years ago. I looked at the "New" items in more recent builds (my old licence allowed me up to 2102) and thought it worth it although I must confess it did look C++ Biased at first look.

Mike
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Sep 24 2018 : 2:23:31 PM
case=116073 was opened for inline declared out variables.
case=116073 is fixed in build 2291.
feline Posted - Aug 26 2017 : 09:25:42 AM
Thank you for the clear example and explanation. We are aware that VA needs to be updated to properly understand tuples and out variables, and this is something we are looking to, hopefully fairly soon.

case=99749
Mnemonic Posted - Aug 26 2017 : 04:24:26 AM
It seems to me C# 7 support is still a little off. The coloring doesn't work as expected, see the following snippet:

Firstly, the decomposed tuple only colors some of the decomposed variables (startRow, startCol) but not others (endRow, endCol).

Secondly, in-place declated out variables are not colored (texture, textureRect, imgScale in the example).
feline Posted - Aug 16 2017 : 10:11:20 AM
KennethB we do have C# support currently. Is there something in particular that you are looking for?
KennethB Posted - Aug 16 2017 : 06:52:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feleine

KennethB we do have C# support currently. Is there something in particular that you are looking for?

C# support will be awesome.
Mike ONeill Posted - Jul 25 2017 : 10:25:15 AM
Hi

Bit delayed in replying !!

I must caution R#, I have been a license holder for many years when I was actively coding, I am now happily retired and coding for FUN . I had a love hate relationship with it. My main beef was it cluttered up life to much.

Firstly try to use it on 32 bits systems , and give up. Their response was use 64 bit . I had at that time a work provided 32 bit PC so there was no options - I used VA

Secondly code analysis is the core to R#, all of its real functionality is built on it so if you want less clutter and turn it off , you lose all sorts of stuff, things like text colouring simple stuff. Again switch it off and use VA.

Finally (I could go on for ever) they changed their licensing structure to a subscription. I paid up first time and that expires in 2 months time. When it does expire I REVERT TO A ONE YEAR OLD VERSION !!!! . With VA when you expire you keep whatever was current not an old version, R# seems a bit blackmailish to me...

I have used VA for a Long while , around 10 years and I will still sing its praises even despite my comments re C# & C++

Cheers

Mike
feline Posted - Jul 18 2017 : 2:38:43 PM
Sadly there are still quite a few bugs in VA, if you know where to look. C++ is a complex language, allowing you to do a lot of clever things, and some things that are perhaps not clever, but just unhelpful.

For the listbox in C#, we have to work around behind the IDE's back, and interact with what the IDE is putting onto the screen, so things are never quite as simple as we would like, or they seem from the outside.
navossoc Posted - Jul 18 2017 : 11:47:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Sadly case 101057 is still outstanding, but by the looks of it, you are the only person who has ever reported this problem. We have quite a lot of different bug and feature requests open at any one time, and working out which come first is no easy task. One element that goes into this calculation is how many users are likely to be effected, and how many users are asking for the fix / change. Only one user does not make this a high priority compared to some other changes. We are not ignoring, and have not forgotten this, we just haven't managed to reach it yet is all.

I'm pretty sure of that. We all know there are things that need more priority.

I think the number of bugs in VA should be very low since you guys are developing new features for C++, right?

As I said I don't know how complex will be this fix, but for me it seems is something like one extra line of code just to refresh the list (there are similar filters on the same list that works properly).

Like you said, you need to see "how many people are involved" and C# is not the most strongest/popular part of VA.

Reiterating my opinion, if you plan to program exclusively in C# then other products will probably suit you better.

Anyway, that was just my thoughts.

feline Posted - Jul 18 2017 : 09:56:54 AM
Sadly case 101057 is still outstanding, but by the looks of it, you are the only person who has ever reported this problem. We have quite a lot of different bug and feature requests open at any one time, and working out which come first is no easy task. One element that goes into this calculation is how many users are likely to be effected, and how many users are asking for the fix / change. Only one user does not make this a high priority compared to some other changes. We are not ignoring, and have not forgotten this, we just haven't managed to reach it yet is all.
navossoc Posted - Jul 18 2017 : 06:36:38 AM
My personal experience:

2016.11.01 (Case 101057) Show non-inherited first (C#)

Hi Rafael,

No, unfortunately there is no progress as of yet. But I've increased the priority of the case for you. Hopefully it'll help.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

No solution yet - case 58930

---
>Hello, I found some weird behavior on "Show non-inherited first" filter into a C# project (VS 2015).
>If you enable it, it works as intended, refresh the list and list non-inherited members on top.
>If you disable it, it doesn't refresh the suggestion list. You will need to close the suggestion and open it again.
>
>The "Filter by type..." option is not affected by this behavior.
>
>I'm not sure if this happens on C++ projects too or in any other versions of Visual Studio.
>I didn't test it.
>
>Let me know if you need more details.
---

2016.11.28 (Case 101803) Create Class (C#) - Wrong types
2017.03.08 Fixed resolution of C# var literals. (case=101919)

2017.01.10 (Case 102766) Bug in "introduce variable" feature
2017.04.26 Fix for incorrect type deduction by Introduce Variable on some template functions. (case=102781)
2017.06.15 Fixed case in which Introduce Variable improperly attempted to replace inappropriate source. (case=102782)

2017.01.13 (Case 102924) Bug in "find reference" feature (C# / Extensions)
Hello Rafael,

I'm sorry you are finding other issues!

But, thank you for taking the time to report what you find. This issue is known, actually. We have a case open for it, case 23734.

I added your email to the case so that your test solution and info can be used to help test a fix.

No solution yet - case 23734

---
>Hello, me again ;)
>
>This time I have found a bug in "find reference", it affects C# projects.
>My tests are made on VS 2015 with the latest VA (2118).
>
>I'm attaching the project and sending a link to a video on YouTube where you can see how to reproduce the problem.
>https://youtu.be/ycpFyqaHV_I
>
>Seems this bug also affect some other features like (method renaming) because it can't find the references.
>
>Let me know if that is enough.
>Thanks.
---

To be honest, since cases 101057 and 102924 are not fixed yet. Sadly, I have stopped reporting issues.
Those two issues piss me off even today.

Come on! I don't think the case 101057 can't be that hard to fix...
My support ends on 2017.10.14 and I'm not sure if I will ever see that fix :P

@Mike
I didn't like R# as much I like the VA for C++, but IMHO if you have plans to code in C#. R# is the way to go...
feline Posted - Jul 10 2017 : 11:12:56 AM
We are still fully committed to C# as well as C++, but its true, a lot of the recent progress has been on C++. Hopefully though there is still enough support and progress with C# to be helpful and to assist with your programming.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000