Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Bug: VS2019 pick suggestion adds newline in code

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
thisisthedave Posted - Jul 12 2019 : 5:00:37 PM
When I pick an item from the intellisense-style suggestions that pop up, the up/down arrow keystrokes and the tab/enter keystroke to accept a suggestion are passed through to the text editor. Here's an example:

1. I type a few letters of a method, say "pri" for "PrintSomething"
2. Visual Assist pops up a list of suggested method completions, like "PrintCoolMessage, PrintFriendlyGreeting, PrintSomething".
3. I press the down-arrow key twice to navigate to my desired item, "PrintSomething", in the list of suggestions. As I'm pressing the arrow keys, I see that -- in addition to the list item selection changing -- the cursor in my source code editor is moving. In other words, the "|" cursor is no longer positioned after "pri|". It has moved down a couple lines.
4. I press "Enter" to accept the "PrintSomething" suggestion. Visual Assist inserts the accepted suggestion at the correct place, but the "Enter" keystroke is also passed through to the source code editor at whatever location the arrow keystrokes have left the editing cursor. So I now have "PrintSomething()" in my source code, but I also have a random newline inserted a couple lines down that I need to go fix.
5. I open Visual Assist Options by clicking the menu "Extensions | Visual Assist | Visual Assist Options", Select "Suggestions" in the left tab and uncheck "Enable in C++"
6. Default Visual Studio intellisense/suggestion is restored, and the extra keystrokes that were ruining my source code are no longer passed through.

I'm using:
* Visual Studio 2019 Community v16.1.6
* Visual Assist 10.9.2333.0
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Mar 16 2020 : 1:51:16 PM
Thanks for the details; they have gone into a new kb article:
https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W880
undead_jorgen Posted - Mar 16 2020 : 12:56:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Ah, thank you for this very helpful information. I would have expected updating IncrediBuild to have also updated the IDE extension at the same time. Now I know what to watch for and which questions to ask.

I think it normally does, but maybe there are some edge cases in which it doesn't succeed? Good to check for, at least. Thank you for the help!
feline Posted - Mar 16 2020 : 08:42:42 AM
Ah, thank you for this very helpful information. I would have expected updating IncrediBuild to have also updated the IDE extension at the same time. Now I know what to watch for and which questions to ask.
undead_jorgen Posted - Mar 15 2020 : 1:55:52 PM
I was having the same problem, but I was on IncrediBuild 9.4.2 which other people had reported fixing the issue. After investigating further, it turns out that for some reason upgrading IB hadn't upgraded the Visual Studio add-in, so I was still on the broken version of the add-in, even though IB was more recent.

If you're having issues, I was on add-in version 1.5.0.10 (as seen in Extensions > Manage Extensions > Installed > IncrediBuild Build Acceleration in Visual Studio). The working version is 1.5.0.13. The add-in was showing up grayed out and checked in the IncrediBuild Agent Settings, so I couldn't do anything with it.

To fix this, I uninstalled the IncrediBuild Build Acceleration extension through Visual Studio, then right clicked the IncrediBuild Agent tray icon, chose Agent Settings, navigated to Visual Studio Add-In > General, clicked Visual Studio Enterprise 2019 and chose Install Add-In. After doing this, Visual Studio was showing add-in version 1.5.0.13, and the bug was gone.

Thank y'all for identifying IncrediBuild as the culprit, I would never have guessed!
feline Posted - Mar 02 2020 : 05:38:28 AM
Which version of Incredibuild are you using? I don't personally use Incredibuild, but I was under the impression that the latest / current version of the Incredibuild extension fixes this problem, so there is no need to disable it.
nosurprises Posted - Feb 28 2020 : 12:56:29 PM
Is there are solution that doesn't involve disabling incredibuild? Seems a steep price to pay for autocomplete.
accord Posted - Nov 20 2019 : 09:35:16 AM
I'm glad it's solved now and will not bother you anymore.
JDE Posted - Nov 20 2019 : 04:24:52 AM
Ah, sorry. Yes you are right. I meant the "IncrediBuild Build Acceleration"-Extension in my last post.

Sorry for the confusion!

Disabling it does the trick for me. (It was installed automatically on my workplace. We are not using it)
accord Posted - Nov 19 2019 : 8:06:36 PM
More info from a different thread:
quote:
Apparently the issue is only present when I have the "IncrediBuild Build Acceleration" (version 1.5.0.10) extension enabled. (I don't think that's the same version as the one available for download on the VS Marketplace � I have mine installed through IncrediBuild's own installer.)

https://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16658&SearchTerms=1.5.0.10

So the extension is installed by Incredibuild's main installer.
accord Posted - Nov 19 2019 : 8:03:28 PM
I think incredibuild has a different version than incredibuild extension for Visual Studio. Does upgrading Incredibuild itself to 9.4.4 helps?
Can you update the extension itself in extension manager?

IDE Extensions menu -> Manage Extensions...
accord Posted - Nov 19 2019 : 7:52:11 PM
I don't really understand this, not familiar with Incredibuild, but there is something like Incredibuild version and it has extensions which has different versions?
I think 1.5.0.10 is the version of something different, since Incredibuild itself is on 9.4.4:
https://www.incredibuild.com/incredibuild-version-history.html

So you need to update both Incredibuild and maybe that will update whatever inside (?) incredibuild has the version of 1.5.0.10?
Sorry I'm not of more help but what I know if both is updated, the problem should be gone.
JDE Posted - Nov 19 2019 : 04:50:39 AM
FYI: I got the same issue. Just disabled IncrediBuild, that helped. I cannot find a "Revert" menu item. There's been a couple of Updates since July anyways. If the bug was fixed on their side back then, it was reimplemented by now...

VS19 Enterprise, 16.3.9
Incredibuild 1.5.0.10
VA 10.9.2353.0
WolfgangVogl Posted - Jul 15 2019 : 06:46:55 AM
Thank you for the solution to this problem - I dont't know what changed (maybe an update) but the issue is gone without any intervention on my side! Like :-)
sean Posted - Jul 12 2019 : 5:32:05 PM
Good timing!
thisisthedave Posted - Jul 12 2019 : 5:21:56 PM
Thanks, sean! That was exactly the issue. For others using VS 2019, the "Revert" menu item is in a different place:
Extensions | Manage Extensions... Then find IncrediBuild Build Acceleration in the list of extensions and click Revert.

I appreciate the super-fast response!
sean Posted - Jul 12 2019 : 5:12:37 PM
Are do you have the VS IncrediBuild extension installed? If so, revert to the previous version. They are aware of the problem and are working on a fix.

� Go to Tools -> Extensions.
� Find Incredibuild Build Acceleration.
� Click revert.
� Restart Visual Studio.

(from https://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16657)

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000