Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Too much info in tooltip when hovering over functi

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
FrankDes Posted - Mar 27 2020 : 09:27:32 AM
When I hover my cursor a function in a header file of my C projet, I get way too much information (as you can see in the following screen shot).

If I disable Visual Assist, things are back to normal. Is there something I can do to disable only this? Here is what I get when I disable VA:

I'm using the latest version of VA and Visual Studio 2019 (v16.3.9).

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Dec 13 2022 : 07:09:58 AM
Unfortunately no progress on this yet, but this is still on our list of things to fix. I have added your interest to this case, which we do track, and it helps us work out which cases to focus on next.
Optimierungswerfer Posted - Dec 08 2022 : 04:17:50 AM
Is there any update on this? We are also running into this issue, which is especially unfortunate because this punishes well documented code by resulting in exploding tooltips. We only want to see the parsed part from Visual Studio, not the redundant raw Javadoc that gets smushed below that and with the low character limit per line results in tooltips that fill the whole screen height. When disabling VA, the tooltip looks normal as desired.

I already tried the various settings mentioned in this thread, but only got the same results as OP.
feline Posted - Mar 28 2020 : 08:23:56 AM
We are looking into a fix for the tooltip being to narrow for the comment block:

case=142047

for now, this should only be happening to this first function in this file. So a slightly ugly work around is to add a "dummy" function definition to the file, just after the Set \ Get comment block, so that this wide comment block is associated with this dummy function, so VA won't add it to any of the other, live, functions in the file.
FrankDes Posted - Mar 27 2020 : 3:42:50 PM
Well... It disables the VS2019 tool tip and only keeps the VA one which is a bit of a mess... I suppose my "Set \ Get" header (as you can see in the screenshot) is messing up the tool tip.

Is this something that can be fixed without changing my header format? I would do with only Visual Studio's Tooltip, but it seems like VA doesn't want to disable it..

(Note: when I change "IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> IntelliSense -> Auto Quick Info = False" first, i get no tooltip at all).

feline Posted - Mar 27 2020 : 3:24:02 PM
Apologies, that seemed like a sensible setting to try. Can you please try setting:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> IntelliSense -> Auto Quick Info = False

and also turning On

VA Options -> Display -> Show Quick Info tooltips for more symbols

and see how this works for you?
FrankDes Posted - Mar 27 2020 : 1:07:58 PM
As you can see in the following screen shot, this option is not currently enabled:

feline Posted - Mar 27 2020 : 11:49:55 AM
The tooltip should not be word wrapped like that, it is making it much harder to read than it should be.

The comment being added to the tooltip is controlled by the VA setting:

VA Options -> Display -> additional comments when available

if you turn Off this setting this should stop this from happening.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000