Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Syntax Highlighting

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SerzaNT Posted - May 06 2020 : 08:29:16 AM
I have downloaded the trial for Visual assist and i'm trying to work with it on the UE4 project. I must say, that in many ways its significant improvement, and i would like to keep using it. But there is basic feature that im missing(maybe it is there and i overlooked it?), that is the Syntax error highlight. For example, if there is a function signature that expect some data type and i pass the wrong data type, the intellisense is completely fine with it.

I would expect to see the errors highlighted here.

Do i have to run different parser for it or there is something that im missing? It seems to me that this is very basic stuff.

Thank you.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - May 06 2020 : 12:49:53 PM
Yes, unfortunately this is a deeper level of analysis. It is easy in this example to see that the code is wrong, but in general, this is hard, and you don't automatically want this sort of overhead when editing your code, as opposed to compiling it.
SerzaNT Posted - May 06 2020 : 09:40:51 AM
I see. Indeed, I have default intellisense parser disabled and i was hoping i would replace it with the VA completly. I will try to enable it back up and run two parsers in parallel. Hopefully, it will provide best of both worlds.

Note: I have "Underline unrecognized symbols using" & "Enable Code Inspection" enabled and it works, but not for this kind of things.
feline Posted - May 06 2020 : 09:12:49 AM
VA does not attempt to highlight syntax errors like this. If / when you compile the code errors and warnings will be flagged in the editor. Basically the code needs to be compiled, or something close to this, to check for this sort of errors, since you have to allow for overloads, etc.

You can try turning On:

VA Options -> Code Inspection (beta) -> Enable Code Inspection

this will check various features in your code, but isn't Unreal specific.

If you have disabled the IDE's intellisense parser, which is fairly common when working with Unreal Engine, you can also turn On:

VA Options -> Underlining -> Underline unrecognized symbols using

this isn't active if we detect that the IDE's intellisense parser is active in C++. The easy way to disable the IDE's parser is to set:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Disable Database = True

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000