Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA 2393: fatal rename references bug

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uniwares Posted - Dec 09 2020 : 07:38:36 AM
C#: When I change the name of a struct, and then use the VA "Rename references" menu that (sometimes) appears, there is a underlying fatal bug: when the new name contains the name of another type, the rename may change all references of the contained name instead of the changed one.
Example: two types "struct Niceone" and "class Naughty", now I type Naughty in front of the Niceone, the rename references will change all Naughty references into "NaughtyNiceone" instead of the Niceone references.

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Uniwares Posted - Dec 16 2020 : 09:16:57 AM
Just had another instance of the same problem:
namespace XX.yyy

Have a namespace called XX somewhere and now remove the dot, hit enter on VA�s "Rename references" or "Rename references with preview..."
All instances of XX will be renamed to XXyyy

Its actually a even trickier situation, since we are messing with two namespaces, XX and yyy.
Uniwares Posted - Dec 14 2020 : 11:58:52 AM
Not really using the rename dialog, but by quick testing it seems to work.
feline Posted - Dec 14 2020 : 11:18:37 AM
I have tried several different things here, but I still cannot get this to happen. I have seen this bug once, but none of my follow up tests have reproduced it.

I have added a note to the case to explain how often you are seeing this.

I hope that triggering Rename via the rename dialog is at least reliable and safe.
Uniwares Posted - Dec 11 2020 : 1:58:44 PM
seems to be constant. Whenever you have added a name in front that exists as a type, it will change the wrong one.
feline Posted - Dec 11 2020 : 1:17:16 PM
Ignoring the "why won't this in place refactoring trigger" problem, how often do you run into this?

I have managed to reproduce it once, but so far only once. Definitely a nasty problem, and I don't like the idea of it happening on rename without a preview. Still, I just wish I could reproduce this more reliably. I have put in a bug report for my test case:

case=144196

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000