Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VS 2022 RC - Extension Breaks Machine Learning

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bartlynn Posted - Oct 21 2021 : 08:01:23 AM
When I was going through a demo for Machine Learning in Preview 6, I found it was first crashing with an EnvDTE not found issue during the Package Loading (see the error from the ActivityLog.xml below). When I uninstalled Preview 6, installed the RC, and updated Machine learning, I got passed the package loading part and I was able to add the .mbconfig file to the project. When I try to open it, I get the error in the screenshot. Doing some checking online, there were several VS users who had similar issues with EnvDTE and I found this link https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/t/Could-not-load-file-or-assembly-EnvDTE/1463536 which seems to point the finger to Extensions.
Just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this or if Vassist was using old PIA assemblies as the link suggests.

I have a remote computer with 2022 RC installed with the same extensions as I have at my desk, except VAssist and does not have the issue.

ActivityLog.xml
<description>SetSite failed for package [ModelBuilderPackage]Source: 'Microsoft.ML.ModelBuilder' Description: Could not load file or assembly 'EnvDTE, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.#x000D;#x000A;System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'EnvDTE, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.#x000D;#x000A;File name: 'EnvDTE, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'#x000D;#x000A; at Microsoft.ML.ModelBuilder.AddMLCommand..ctor(AsyncPackage package, OleMenuCommandService commandService)#x000D;#x000A; at Microsoft.ML.ModelBuilder.AddMLCommand.<InitializeAsync>d__19.MoveNext()#x000D;#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---#x000D;#x000A; at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()#x000D;#x000A; at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)#x000D;#x000A; at Microsoft.ML.ModelBuilder.ModelBuilderPackage.<InitializeAsync>d__24.MoveNext()#x000D;#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---#x000D;#x000A; at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()#x000D;#x000A; at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)#x000D;#x000A; at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.AsyncPackage.<>c__DisplayClass20_0.<<Microsoft-VisualStudio-Shell-Interop-IAsyncLoadablePackageInitialize-Initialize>b__1>d.MoveNext()#x000D;#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---#x000D;#x000A; at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()#x000D;#x000A; at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)#x000D;#x000A; at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTask.<JoinAsync>d__76.MoveNext()#x000D;#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---#x000D;#x000A; at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()#x000D;#x000A; at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.VsTask.RethrowException(AggregateException e)#x000D;#x000A; at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.VsTask.InternalGetResult(Boolean ignoreUIThreadCheck)#x000D;#x000A;#x000D;#x000A;WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.#x000D;#x000A;To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.#x000D;#x000A;Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.#x000D;#x000A;To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].#x000D;#x000A;</description>

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Oct 25 2021 : 06:07:38 AM
Thank you for the update, and at least it is working today.

Occasionally odd problems are fixed by an IDE restart, so its possible that is a factor here. Obviously if this problem comes back again do let me know.
bartlynn Posted - Oct 22 2021 : 12:33:31 PM
of course today, its working lol. I don't think there was any updates, so I can't explain it. If the topic can be left open till next week, I'll keep testing things again.
feline Posted - Oct 22 2021 : 11:55:38 AM
If you have a test solution you can share, I can try loading it here, and see if I can reproduce the problem that way. If it helps I can also try importing your IDE and VA settings as well.

If you want to try this can export your VA and IDE settings via:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

Please send me the files via email:

[email protected]

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.
bartlynn Posted - Oct 22 2021 : 08:47:17 AM
Seems so. I'll go back and compare all the Extensions to see if I missed something.
feline Posted - Oct 22 2021 : 08:14:39 AM
Thank you for that. After setting the same registry key and installing VA, VS2022 is loading quite happily.

In order to get a test case, I found this page:

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/learn/ml-dotnet/get-started-tutorial/install

and I have tried following the instructions in VS2022 Preview 6. I have added the model and trained it successfully, but it does not build successfully when I try, so I must have missed something somewhere along the line.

Closing and reloading VS2022 and loading this solution again happens without any problems.

Is this a valid test? I have a C# console solution, using .NET 6, with a ".mbconfig" node in Solution Explorer, but no sign of any errors or problems.
bartlynn Posted - Oct 21 2021 : 4:36:57 PM
I have the Registry Mod (Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\VSCommon\17.0\SQM\OptIn =0
feline Posted - Oct 21 2021 : 08:37:37 AM
What changes have you made to get Visual Studio 2022 to load with VA installed? Currently there is a known problem with VS2022 not loading a solution with VA installed.

There is a work around, but I am wondering what you have done to get this working, in case it is a factor. I want to make sure I am trying to test the same thing here that you are doing.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000