Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Have a tool window like VA outline for inheritance

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lucwens Posted - Jun 01 2020 : 05:42:26 AM
It happens often that I have to check/modify all inherited class or virtual functions of a class.
For that I use the 'Derived classes/symbols' from the VassistX.GotoRelated menu.

Works well, but everytime I have to go back to my base class/function and do the same over an over again.

It would be great to have a tool like the VAOutline that shows the inheritance permanently.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Mar 05 2021 : 08:24:47 AM
Have you considered jumping to the base class once, then running Find References on the virtual function you are interested in?

Assuming you have turned On "Display inherited and overridden references" in the Find References Results window, this will show you the details for how the virtual function is inherited. Then you can clone the Find References Results windows that you are interested, so you have several sets of results open at once, allowing you to move between them.

It's not the same, but it should be quite helpful.

And also the bottom half of VA View, show the most derived class, and you can see it's base classes. Again not quite the same, but something that is already available.
lucwens Posted - Mar 05 2021 : 05:13:14 AM
The goto related is exactly what I use now when I have to recheck a bunch of derived functions, and because for every derived class you have to go back to the base class and Alt-Shift-G again to go the next derived function, it would be very useful to have the list displayed by "Derived Classes" in a tool windows that remains open, but I guess you got that picture.

Ciao
feline Posted - Mar 04 2021 : 1:13:21 PM
This is still something we are looking to add at some point, but I don't currently have an estimate for when we will have a go at this.

In addition to the methods above, if you just want to check the inheritance hierarchy, another option is to place the caret into the class name and use Alt-Shift-G for Goto Related. Inside this menu you get the two sub-menus "Base Classes" and "Derived Classes". Since these lists are menus they don't stay open, but they are useful for quickly and easily moving through the hierarchy.
lucwens Posted - Mar 04 2021 : 10:17:45 AM
Hi,

just following up on this, and I still think this is a really useful tool window to have: are there any plans to implement this in the future?

Luc
feline Posted - Jun 02 2020 : 11:43:26 AM
We are considering creating a view like this:

case=6647

For now there are a couple of options that should help. For virtual methods, if you run Find References on the method, in the Find References Results window you can use the right click menu to turn On:

Display inherited and overridden references

turning off some of the other entries, for example "Display comment and string hits (M)" should help to limit the number of entries, so you can focus on just the entries you are looking for.

You can manually delete entries from the Find References Results list as well, just select them and press Delete. This has no effect on your code, only on the results list.

If you then want to keep this list around you can clone the Find References Results list, so preserving its content even when you run another Find References.

For the class its self, another approach is the bottom half of VA View, the Hovering Class Browser.

https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W222#hcb

with keyboard focus in the editor, hover the mouse over the class you are interested in, and its details, including all of its base classes, will be listed in VA View. You can pin this class information, so it won't change as you are editing, keeping it available for easy reference.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000