Open Dialog feature request
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jsundram
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  2:25:39 PM  Show Profile
I love the VAssistXOpenFileInWorkspace function, which I've mapped to Ctrl-O in dev studio, because its a whole lot more useful.

I work in a project multiple subprojects, some of which share the same class names. For example, there is a Mainfrm.h/cpp in at least 3 different sub-projects. It would be nice if there was a sort option to sort the matching files by the subproject they were in, and always list the files in the current subproject first.

Just my $.02. Thanks for an excellent product!

JS

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  2:51:13 PM  Show Profile
adding a column to show the project that the file belongs to is a good idea, i like that.

case=764

how would you see the sorting working though? until you get to a very restrictive filter having a "strange" sort is likely to be very confusing. i have the same situation you describe, but while filtering the list i watch what is going on and i stop typing once the list is down to a small enough number of items to allow me to find the desired file. if the list is no longer in alphabetical order then this is going to confuse me.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  10:49:47 PM  Show Profile
But, what if the file belongs to more than one open project?

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  3:10:41 PM  Show Profile
*ah* i am not aware of this ever happening in the projects i work on, so it had not occurred to me.

if the file is only present in two projects then you could probably fit in both names. but what happens when it is present in 8 projects?

how about listing one project name, and if there is more putting ", ..." at the end of the project name, to indicate there are more?

in VS 2003 if you set the solution explorer to track the active file, and add a file to two projects it appears to pick one project to list, apparently at random. i say this because it has jumped to both projects already.

Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  12:54:22 AM  Show Profile
Aha! No wonder VS is so slow. It is calling the random number generator before deciding what to do!!!

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  2:17:58 PM  Show Profile
thats supposed to be a secret!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked