VA Find References Results filter out '?' hits
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kornman00

USA
30 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2020 :  10:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be great if there was an option like 'Display references from all projects', but for toggling the display of ? hits which VAX is guessing to be a reference. I typically see this in macros, or very ambiguous symbol names ('initialized', 'type', etc). More often than not, they are not the droids I'm looking for.

It would also be great if VAX could be configured to inhibit *searching* external/system files. This is not just for speed reasons, but also for the case of very ambiguous symbol names.

Thanks!

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2020 :  07:36:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the question mark entries, simply right click into the Find References Results window and turn Off:

Display unknown/guess hits

you can turn this back on again if and when needed, if you think that ambiguous references that you are interested are being hidden.

What external files / directories is VA searching, that you don't want VA to search? I am wondering how VA knows about these directories, since that should help us to understand what we can do about this.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

kornman00

USA
30 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2020 :  4:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, there's the toggle! Would be be trivial to add persistent toggles for this and the Reads and Writes options to the window pane too (ie, just like the toggle for searching the solution or just the project)?

And the external systems were a user error. We switched an old build system over to vcxproj, and in the process the newly generated vcxproj had direct references to the (checkedin) VC++ headers and such. Sorry about the confusion (thankfully the file references should be removable in this case).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2020 :  05:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure what you are asking for here. Are you asking for more of the options in the Find References Results context menu to appear on the Find References Results toolbar? Or something else?

As for the extra directories, I am glad you have found out where these are coming from, and it sounds like this should be fairly quick and simple to fix. Obviously if you have any problems with this please let me know, and I will do what I can to help.

Go to Top of Page

kornman00

USA
30 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2020 :  5:05:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correct, in the toolbar. Maybe I am mistaken, but I believe the toolbar options you select are persisted for the Solution? So I select the option to search-entire-Solution, it will keep that option enabled even after closing VS and re-opening.

So the desire was to also have the Display Unknown/Guess Hints, etc be options in the toolbar if they would also get persisted.

Even if the toolbar selections are not persisted Per-Solution, but Globally (for all Solutions), I think it would be nice still.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2020 :  08:48:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The settings are already persistent, or at least they always are for me. Does it seem that they are not persisted for you?

Do you work with more than one instance of the IDE open at once? Does the IDE ever crash on exit?

VA is designed to save its settings on exit, so if you have two instances open, the last instance to close will overwrite the settings saved out by the first instance you closed. The other thought is that if there is a problem closing the IDE down then settings may not be saved out correctly.

Go to Top of Page

kornman00

USA
30 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2020 :  4:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes, I generally have 3+ instances open. That probably explains why it didn't seem like the toggles weren't persisting, because I didn't close the instance where I made changes last. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2020 :  06:32:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will effect any VA settings changes you make. So if you want to change your default settings just close all instances, load one instance, make the changes and then close and reload the IDE.

A bit of a fuss when you normally work with 3 instances open, but you only need to do it once, and if you still find that settings are not persisting then I will definitely look into this with you, to try and find out what is going wrong.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000