Removing databases that belong to deleted solution
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jorge24

USA
28 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  09:56:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before, I opened a VS solution for an Unreal Engine project and Visual Assist parsed the source files.

Then I deleted the local repository folder which included the visual studio solution that VA parsed.

How do I delete the database and cache VA created for that solution that no longer exists?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  10:21:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You shouldn't have to do this, but if you want to, for example to free up hard drive space, you can tell VA to do so by pressing the button:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

and restarting your IDE.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Jorge24

USA
28 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  10:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see, thanks. I thought the "rebuild" button only affected the currently opened solution.

What do you mean by:
quote:
Originally posted by felineYou shouldn't have to do this

Does VA automatically remove the databases that don't get used to free up space?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  11:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The database gets rebuild automatically when you install a new build of VA, so every now and then it gets cleaned out. Having other information stored in VA's symbol database should not cause any problems, so unless you need the space back, having VA hold onto knowledge of code that you might edit again generally makes sense.

Are you seeing problems caused by VA having parsed other code? You should not be, but if you are this would certainly explain needing to rebuild the symbol database.

Go to Top of Page

Jorge24

USA
28 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  7:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see, thanks for explaining. I'm not seeing problems. I was just curious since every time I open a new Unreal Engine solution that references the Unreal Engine's source code, VA seems to parse the entire Unreal source code for each project even if they all reference the same exact folder with the Unreal repository. Since the Unreal repository is about 180GB, I was afraid the VA's databases would grow large pretty quickly.

Is there a way to have VA create just a single database for the Unreal source code that all Unreal solutions would use? It takes a long time to parse the whole source code for every unreal solution.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - May 30 2020 :  08:27:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are looking into having a separate database for Unreal Engine, but this is a little tricky, due to the fact that you might have installed Unreal Engine, compiled it from source, both, and can have more than one version of Unreal Engine on the same machine at the same time.

Having said this, I would not expect VA to reparse all of Unreal Engine for a second game project if the engine version and paths are the same for both projects. I will run some tests here and see what happens.

Go to Top of Page

Jorge24

USA
28 Posts

Posted - May 31 2020 :  06:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see, thanks. I only have the source-compiled version in my PC and I only have one version of it. There is only 1 folder on my PC that contains the source-compiled version so all projects point to the same engine. Still, it seems to parse the whole engine for every new project. I don't know if it may be an issue that only happens with the source-compiled version.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18727 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2020 :  10:21:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you working with more than once instance of the IDE open at the same time, or do you just have one instance of the IDE?

Using VS2017 and VA 2375.0, I set up two simple Unreal Engine projects, both using UE version 4.24.

I loaded VS2017, and told VA to do a symbol database rebuild. This was to make sure I started with a known, blank state.

Close the IDE and load a single instance of VS2017, and load the first UE project. VA took under 8 minutes to parse everything, which was mainly Unreal Engine its self, since it is a new, and very small game project.

I then closed this single instance of VS2017, then loaded a new instance of VS2017, still only one instance loaded, and opened the second Unreal Engine project. This time parsing took under 30 seconds.

This version of Unreal Engine was downloaded via the Epic Games Launcher, but this should not really be relevant here, but it could be.

If you open more than one instance of the IDE at the same time then VA will create and maintain a separate symbol database for each instance. This is to make sure that what you are doing in one instance cannot interfere with what you are doing in the second instance. But because of this opening Unreal Engine projects in several instances of the IDE at once will cause VA to do a full parse of Unreal Engine several times over.

How does this compare to your experiences?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000