New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  11:32:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Second time this happened to me in the last days. No way to get anything useful out of it in this line. This was the automatic popup, Crtl+Space doesnt do anything at all.

I know this doesnt help repro it, but I have nothing more to offer here, just the fact that it happened.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  12:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you able to reproduce on this line?

Based on the scroll bar size this is a good sized list, so assuming this is a member list of "LowerLimit" it is a good sized class.

If you hover the mouse over the listbox do you get the filtering icons at the bottom of the listbox? This test assumes you have:

VA Options -> Enhanced Listboxes -> Display filtering toolbar when hovering

turned On. I am just checking that VA is aware of and interacting with the listbox.

Not being able to get anything on CTRL-SPACE is also really odd. If you trigger Alt-Shift-G for Goto Related on the type "LowerLimit" do you get anything useful? I am wondering if VA has any understanding of this type at all.

It reminds me of the problem with delegates being black in listboxes, so based on that memory, if you are able to reproduce this easily, if you move up and down the listbox are any of the items coloured / visible? Is anything actually entered into the editor if you try and accept this problem listbox?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  12:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This class has 3 properties and 3 methods, plus 4 ctors. Nothing too much.
Options are checked. And its a clean new profile.
There is no bottom of the listbox (on screen), so I cant check filtering icons.
Alt+Shift+G works nice on the type and property when written out.
The items in the list are all empty, selecting one with enter does nothing.
So its some really "damn-forgot-what-i-was-about-to-do" case.

Edited by - Uniwares on May 29 2020 12:10:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - May 30 2020 :  07:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The number of items and the size of the scroll bar on the listbox clearly don't match.

This is just bizarre, totally so.

If you are able to reproduce no listbox on CTRL-SPACE then this might be something we can study and try to make sense of. The rest of this though, without reproduction on demand, I don't know where to start to be honest with you.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2020 :  05:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats exactly the problem: i cant repro it. it just happened twice now, and doesnt repeat at will.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2020 :  08:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just so I understand properly, CTRL-SPACE normally works, but when it fails, you also get the black listbox?

How close to compiling is your solution? I know invalid code, since you are still writing it, can confuse a parser, so just wondering if somehow you have a particularly strange bit of "invalid" or "partial" code that could be a factor. A weak theory though, especially since this cannot be reproduced on demand.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2020 :  1:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ctrl+Space doesn't fail. But when the empty completion list happens, the result of ctrl+space is weird.

Now I have a case where it happens with the System.IO.File class. Repro it any time, and its in another solution, 10 year old code, really nothing special, 4 classes.

At the end, when IDisposable appears, I have pressed Ctrl+Space.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2020 :  1:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After writing a few lines more, i tried to repro it again, but no longer happens. Really a one-off error.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2020 :  08:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried doing a VA symbol database since this problem started showing up?

I remember we tracked some strange problems you are seeing down to using Alt-G with a NuGet C# package, which resulted in VA symbol database corruption. I am wondering if the same thing could be going on here?

If so, then a VA symbol database rebuild should, at least temporarily, help.

The random nature of this makes it really frustrating to try and make sense of, for both of us.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2020 :  08:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will try a rebuild. Its some time since I last did that. Although, this was a project I never opened before on this machine, so it should have a new, untainted, database, right? And it has absolutly no nuget packages either.

Very frustrating it is, am trying to line up the events as they happen, related to this problem. Sooner or later we catch the beast.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2020 :  12:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA does share its symbol database between different solutions. For example, if you have several different solutions all using the same stable include directories, then these entries will be saved, since this is the whole point of stable includes.

I am not sure how the NuGet problem would effect you here. I am not even sure that it is a factor, but so far it's the only good theory I have for such a random problem. It really looks like VA is completely confused, but if so this should be a stable and reliable confusion.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000