Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2020 :  12:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem is being triggered by the very large VCXPROJ file, but once you start editing the file to remove blocks of the different project configurations the problem becomes a bit random in if / when it appears. I have put in a bug report for this:

case=142875

If you want to keep on using the solution, and don't need all of the different configurations, then deleting the bulk of them from the project and solution files, which can be done in a text editor, looks like a reasonable work around.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Maksym.Bozhko

Ukraine
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2020 :  06:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I will try that.
Go to Top of Page

Maksym.Bozhko

Ukraine
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2020 :  06:10:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately removing configurations is not an option for me. Our project is generated by script, so every time it is updated somehow, I have to regenerate it. I could modify script to reduce number of configurations to subset I actually need currently, but that subset is still fairly large. Can I expect any improvements to this in future updates?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2020 :  07:21:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No updates on this problem yet, but it is a fairly serious bug, and we would like to get it fixed as soon as possible, but I don't currently have an estimate for this.

Is reducing the number of configurations an option for you? I only ask since in my testing reducing the number of configurations helped to ease / fix the problem. The results were somewhat random, so I am not exactly sure how much you would need to reduce them to help, but if this is a simple option for you it might be worth a try.

The other obvious option is to bypass the SLN file and open the directory instead. Is this a reasonable work around for you?

Would creating a simplified version of the normal solution and project that VA handles without any problems be an option? This could be quite independent of your main, regenerated solution and project files. The obvious problem here is if the file list in the solution changes, this project won't reflect these changes until it is updated.

Go to Top of Page

Maksym.Bozhko

Ukraine
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2020 :  08:35:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I have to go through long list of configurations and delete them manually, while making sure I don't accidentally delete the one I need, or I need to create a complex regex to delete all configurations except the ones I need. I cannot modify script that generates our visual studio project, because it creates configurations based on build system. Even when I reduced number of configurations to 10% of original count I still have Visual studio hanging. At this point going through all this pain to just open my solution outweighs the benefit of using Visual Assist over default intellisense for me.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2020 :  2:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sorry to hear that you are having so many problems with this, and I agree, the problems are out weighing VA's help.

In my testing, I manually removed all of the configurations from the solution file without having any effect on the hanging IDE problem. When trying to find a specific trigger in the project file I discovered that a tiny project file would produce the hang after killing off a hung Visual Studio, but after a reboot exactly the same smaller project file did not produce any problems at all.

As far as I can tell killing off the hung IDE is causing some form of resource leak that is fixed by rebooting Windows. I was not able to locate any lingering background processes that caused the problem, but its possible I missed them.

In case it helps, if you are interested, I have a simple script that will generate a dummy solution and project that simply includes all of the code files inside a directory tree. The result is similar to the IDE's open folder feature, but leaves you with a solution you can configure if you want.

Go to Top of Page

Maksym.Bozhko

Ukraine
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2020 :  09:59:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I will try restarting my PC, this might help, because I rarely do that, and I had to kill Visual Studio process that hang very often, I will try and see if it helps.
Go to Top of Page

Maksym.Bozhko

Ukraine
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2020 :  06:06:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I managed to open my solution with reduced count of configurations after restarting PC. But I still hope it will be fixed in future updates
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2020 :  11:04:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update, and apologies for the problems this bug has caused. This is down as a high priority bug, but I don't currently have an estimate for when we will be able to fix it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000