Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 I can't find the right highlighting options

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Old as dirt Posted - Mar 14 2011 : 10:53:24 AM
I like to highlight the enclosing {} and () but I don't like the way they are highlighted with the new combo of VS2010 and VAX. What I really want is for the {} and () to be white on whatever background is there (I use a dark background) and not a block of white background as it is now.

This is still confusing to me because I can't see the cursor. I may get used to it, but I will never like it. Is there an option I'm missing?
Thanks

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CyberMew Posted - Jul 24 2011 : 02:14:41 AM
Ah nice find but it only support C#/VB, while I am using C/C++
Mike ONeill Posted - Jul 23 2011 : 09:14:34 AM
Hi

for the vertical line matching , try Dev Express CodeRush Express , its a second add in with VAX which doesn't seem to "Fight" , it adds these lines plus a whole load of extra refactoring etc ...

Even Better its a Freebie

Mike
feline Posted - Jul 21 2011 : 9:30:32 PM
You can set the colour VA uses for highlighting matching brackets in the VA options dialog:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/match.asp

To insert comment blocks for a function use the refactoring command Document Method:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/documentMethod.asp
CyberMew Posted - Jul 21 2011 : 12:53:01 PM
So is it possible to highlight the braces in red when I am in the block?
The link you provided also don't support 2010 so...

As for the file header I am referring to the commenting at the top of each file and for each function. How do I insert them in using the template that I have made?

Thank for your help.
feline Posted - Jul 21 2011 : 10:01:22 AM
Unfortunately VA does not draw lines between the braces like this. You might want to look at: http://www.codekana.com/
Which I believe can draw lines like this.

VA is designed to highlight the pair of brackets that the caret is inside. Consider a single line of code, e.g.

if(nVar1 > 0 || (nVar2 > 0 && nVar3 < 0)|) { }

highlighting the brackets that the caret is inside makes sense.

I don't understand what you mean by VA creating a header file. What are you trying to do?
CyberMew Posted - Jul 20 2011 : 2:00:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nobodo

I find it far more useful to have the VAX setting completely different than the VS setting.

The VS setting is for what is to the RIGHT of the cursor, and the VAX setting is for what is to the LEFT of the cursor.

In the image below, I have the cursor just to the left of 'try', and have braces on both sides of the cursor highlighted in different colors. Very useful!

How can I achieve this line-to-line for matching braces in VS or VAX? I want it to be on the left of the braces as well if possible.

And currently, if the caret is on the right of any braces, there will be no highlights or anything. Is this normal and can we change this such that the braces will match no matter if the caret is on the left or right?

And while I am here, how do I get VAX to create the file header as I have specified in VA Edits manually (or automatically)?
feline Posted - Mar 29 2011 : 10:44:11 AM
Lostman can you please try the following. Close all instances of VS2008, then load regedit and delete the registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\9.0\\FontAndColors\\Cache\
The IDE will regenerate this key when it next loads.

If you now restart VS2008 do the VA X items show up in the IDE Fonts and Colors list?
Lostman Posted - Mar 29 2011 : 07:03:20 AM
I have problems with brace highlighting in VS 2008.
I want foreground color of highlighted braces to be white (I use dark VS theme).
VA 1842 does not use color defined in VA Settings -> Advanced -> Display, and the brace highlighting color is always black.
Also, there is no
Tools -> Options... -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> VA X *
at all.
Old as dirt Posted - Mar 16 2011 : 11:14:19 AM
Thanks.
That is what I was looking for.
accord Posted - Mar 15 2011 : 9:06:14 PM
It is mentioned in the documentation which is linked from the tooltip.
However, I agree that it would be better to mention it on the options dialog or at least in the tooltip, so I have put in an enhancement request for this:

case=56042

Thank you for the feedback.
Nobodo Posted - Mar 15 2011 : 09:16:02 AM
I think it would be very useful to add information to the "fonts and colors" display in the VAX options dialog. It can be confusing to users to have color options in two places.

Something like:

More extensive VAX color options can be found through the Visual Studio menu at:
Tools -> Options... -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> VA X *

Nobodo Posted - Mar 15 2011 : 08:53:50 AM
I find it far more useful to have the VAX setting completely different than the VS setting.

The VS setting is for what is to the RIGHT of the cursor, and the VAX setting is for what is to the LEFT of the cursor.

In the image below, I have the cursor just to the left of 'try', and have braces on both sides of the cursor highlighted in different colors. Very useful!

accord Posted - Mar 14 2011 : 8:51:56 PM
You can set the background color as well:

Tools -> Options... -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> VA X Brace Matching

Don't forget that VS2010 has it's own, different brace highlighting algorithm so you may prefer to turn it off or set the same foreground- and background color for it:

Tools -> Options... -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> Brace Matching (Rectangle)

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000