Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 strange graphical glitches & artifacts

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nberry Posted - Mar 30 2011 : 11:30:01 PM
I've recently installed visual assist onto my installation of visual studio 2005 which is set to C++ dev environment. However, I'm seeing a very strange graphical glitch when in windowed mode, I drag the window larger. It will show me multiply scroll bars and when I maximize large portions of my text area get gray large boxes. Other things that occur when I either change the window size or minimize and maximize the screen are character remnants and other scrolls artifacting. What do I need to do to solve this issue? I've tried minimizing the options of visual assist X and I've tried turning on and off the optimized desktop for remote access to no avail. I know for a fact it's related to visual assist because when I uninstall the program the issue does not happen.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Apr 11 2011 : 12:37:25 PM
As an experimental, do you get the same problem when maximising the IDE?

Can you try maximising the IDE by double clicking on the IDE title bar, and also by using Alt-Space menu -> Maximise. Is there any difference between these two methods?
accord Posted - Apr 08 2011 : 7:12:10 PM
quote:
However, when I do change the window size around and drag the edges and I get the gray areas, multiple scroll bars, etc.... if I go to VAssistX ->Disable Visual Assist X, the artifacts disappear!

What happens if you resize the IDE when VA is disabled?
feline Posted - Apr 07 2011 : 12:50:09 PM
I have the settings files, thank you for these, but I still cannot reproduce the problem here.

I noticed you have word wrap turned on in the IDE. Can you please try turning off:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Word wrap

and see if this makes any difference?
nberry Posted - Apr 07 2011 : 05:19:57 AM
I just got the graphical glitches again, although I had set most of the option to minimum. Sending in another export file.
nberry Posted - Apr 07 2011 : 12:08:15 AM
My video card is the MSI GTX 580 from nVidia. I'm using the video drivers 270.51 which were released in the last two weeks. The only graphical issue I see is with Visual Assist. So I'm doubtful it's tied to the video card drivers. I have sent in to you the requested exports from VA and IDE using that contact form. @accord - I have not tried keeping Visual Assist X at the minimum settings to see if the errors still occur. I will try that and let you know. Thank you for your continued help in helping me solve this annoyance. For now, when the graphical errors happen, I go to Visual Assist menu, and disable/enable to remove the graphical oddities that are only within the IDE.
accord Posted - Apr 05 2011 : 6:59:25 PM
quote:
I went into the VA options dialog as you recommended, and when I switched everything in the Quick Config to min, and pressed ok, the graphical errors disappeared.

Does that mean that the problems doesn't re-appear with these settings, if you do a resize again?
feline Posted - Apr 04 2011 : 11:28:29 AM
I have tried the same screen resolution here, and still no sign of the problem. So the resolution its self is not the trigger.

Can you try and find out which VA options trigger this problem? At a guess it will be:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Enable Enhanced Syntax Coloring

but it might not be, or it might not be this simple.

Have you checked to see if there are more recent video drivers available for your system?

Can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

I can then import them here and see if I can reproduce the problem. Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.
nberry Posted - Apr 01 2011 : 11:43:31 PM
Hi.. Thank you for your help. I am resizing the IDE by holding down the left mouse button and dragging the right edge of the windowed application to the right. Other ways I get the graphical errors are when I maximize the windowed application.

My resolution is my monitor's native 1920x1080, colour depth is 32 bit true color, refresh rate is 60Hz.

I just had graphical errors again, and instead of disabling/enabling VA to fix the issue, I went into the VA options dialog as you recommended, and when I switched everything in the Quick Config to min, and pressed ok, the graphical errors disappeared.

What next?
feline Posted - Apr 01 2011 : 11:44:35 AM
No need for a video for now, the screen shot is quite clear.

How, exactly, are you resizing the IDE? Are you just holding down the left mouse button and dragging an edge or a corner, or doing something else?

What resolution and colour depth is Windows set to?

Keeping VA enabled, if you go into VA's options dialog, and on the Quick Config screen set everything to Min, does this make any difference?
nberry Posted - Apr 01 2011 : 01:18:47 AM
I don't have any other plugin's installed that are listed in the IDE tools menu. The only thing on that menu is Visual Assist X.

However, when I do change the window size around and drag the edges and I get the gray areas, multiple scroll bars, etc.... if I go to VAssistX ->Disable Visual Assist X, the artifacts disappear! I can then enable Visual Assist X the same way, and there are no more glitches. However, once enabled, if I change the window size some more by dragging the edges, I'll get artifacts again.

Do you need a video showing this behavior? What gets turned off/on that could cause this behavior and only in Visual Studio with Visual Assist on?
feline Posted - Mar 31 2011 : 5:49:16 PM
Unfortunately I do not recognise this problem.

I cannot reproduce it here, I have tried on two different computers, both with Windows 7 64bit.

If you keep VA installed, but use the IDE menu item:

VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X

does this make any difference?

Do you have any other plugin's listed in:

IDE tools menu -> Add-in Manager -> list of available add-ins
nberry Posted - Mar 31 2011 : 3:10:23 PM
Here is probably a better capture. What I did was I closed down Steam and Trillian and all other running programs. I then opened up Visual Studio 2005 in windowed mode and created a new project named Test. Then I grabbed the right side of the window and dragged it over the right side of the screen and back to where first was (more in middle) a few times. The result was this:

Again for some reason, if I uninstall Visual Assist X, this doesn't occur.
nberry Posted - Mar 31 2011 : 3:00:44 PM
Hi. I am seeing this problem when directly using the machine. I messed with the remote desktop setting in hopes of finding a solution. Problem is very annoying. Doesn't happen in any other program, and when I uninstall Visual Assist X, it goes away from the Visual Studio. Happens with or without line wrapping and visual glyphs on. I don't have any programs that modify the way windows are drawn. I do sometimes develop with the Source SDK and my debugger executable does occasionally open a windowed version of the Source game engine in the center of the screen. But the issue happens in other projects that aren't tied to Source SDK.

Ignore the pink edged rectangles. That was me hiding the contents of my code to the world. The problem there can be see on the right and bottom parts where the grey boxes are and the scroll bar duplicated. This happened when I was in a windowed mode for Visual Studio and maximized my window.

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium SP1 with nVidia 270.51 card drivers
VA_X.dll file version 10.6.1845.0 built 2011.03.13
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.867 Enterprise
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.867

Please help! Only removing visual assist fixes the problem and I want to keep trying your software as it helps speed up development nicely!

feline Posted - Mar 31 2011 : 10:40:00 AM
You mention the optimised remote desktop setting, are you seeing this problem under remote desktop?
Are you seeing this problem when using the machine directly?

Which OS and version of VA are you using?

Do you have any programs installed that might alter the way windows are drawn? Window Blinds by Stardock is an example of the type of program I am thinking of.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000