Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 "Highlight current line" invisible on blank lines

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jeff Elliott Posted - Apr 21 2011 : 5:04:56 PM
Hi, strange new problem here. I recently did a backup/wipe/reinstall of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and all dev tools, including VS2008 and Visual Assist X 10.6.1845.0. My other plug-ins are VisualSVN 2.0.5 and Tabs Studio 2.3.3. I'm running the same setup as before the reinstall, but now I've got a new problem that wasn't here before. I've uninstalled those two plug-ins and rebooted, and the problem is still there with only VS2008 and Visual Assist X installed.

The "Highlight current line" (dotted box, black) works just fine when the text cursor is on a line of code that has any amount of text, but it disappears when I move to a blank line. If there's at least one space on a given line it appears, but if the line is completely blank it disappears. The "Solid line" option disappears in the same way, but the "Foreground and background" option does work as desired (but I'd much rather have an outline).

Any eye-dears?

Thanks!

P.S. The "Highlight current line" always has been just a tad sluggish, too. If I hold down the arrow keys to move up or down a screenful of code, whether scrolling is involved or not, the dotted outline seems to disappear until it can catch up or something. Is there anything I can do to get better response out of that feature?

While awaiting your answer I'll try installing a version prior to 10.6.1845.0 and see if that particular version has anything to do with it.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Apr 22 2011 : 3:57:08 PM
Thank you for your careful detective work, I am seeing the same problem here. I would not have expected the line colour to have an effect like this, and I am seeing the problem without any other plugin's installed:

case=57037
Jeff Elliott Posted - Apr 22 2011 : 11:18:30 AM
Bingo.

I had evidently changed the Fonts and Colors entry in VS2008 for "VA X Current Line" from its default maroon to black. That did it. Once I found that and changed it back to "Default", the highlighting again appears on lines where there's no text. I think I did that while trying out the "solid box" highlighting and the maroon color on a mostly white background was sticking out a bit.

Wow, I didn't think it would be sensitive to that! If you're interested in fixing that, it might save someone else the effort in the future. I can certainly live with maroon for now.

Thanks for your time and understanding, but I clearly caused this problem myself.
Jeff Elliott Posted - Apr 22 2011 : 11:07:14 AM
OMG hold the phone... I just clicked (in VS2008) Tools / Options / Fonts and Colors / Use Defaults, and voila it now highlights the current line even if blank. Let me see if I can figure out which setting in there was the culprit.
Jeff Elliott Posted - Apr 22 2011 : 10:54:42 AM
No dice. Uninstalled Tabs Studio and rebooted, and the problem is still there. It's not drawing the dotted-line highlight around the current line if that line is completely blank. I'll keep experimenting to see if I can nail it down.
Jeff Elliott Posted - Apr 22 2011 : 10:28:57 AM
Files uploaded on the provided link, same subject.

Yes, this exact same setup used to work just fine. Before and after the wipe, I was/am running VS2008 with SP1, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate SP1, same video and system drivers, same application software, same browser add-ons, same everything.

The reason I wiped/reinstalled in the first place had nothing to do with any of these tools; it's just that I stupidly installed some kind of USB speed enhancer driver a few weeks back that didn't work and actually hosed all my USB ports so that my iPod wouldn't connect anymore (strangely, the iPad worked fine -- it's just a little harder to fit in my pocket). Before that I'd uninstalled that USB driver, reinstalled all the original motherboard drivers, and rolled back to a previous Restore Point, but no joy. That plus my "WinSxS" directory was getting huge, and it had probably been a year since I'd installed Win7 fresh so there was lots of junk scattered all over the place. I do this routinely about once a year but have never had problems with Visual Assist afterwards.

I'm new to Tabs Studio, having just discovered it about a month ago. I noticed the missing highlight box immediately after installing it (this time around), before I'd configured any rules or styles at all. I reported a bug or two when I first tried it out, and the author cut me a special 2.3.3 release. Now I'm on the latest version, 2.3.4, with only a rule to highlight the current tab.

I just uninstalled Tabs Studio and fired up VS2008, and the problem is still there. It may disappear after I reboot, but I have to post this message first so will have to write again after that reboot.

I know where the Visual Studio\\9.0 registry key is, and the only change I've made there is to add "DontShowMacrosBalloon" 32-bit DWORD and set it to "1" (to suppress the pop-up balloon message in the notification area when macros are run). I've also made the standard set of font/color/keystroke changes I always make after installing VS2008. This is the same setup I've been using with Visual Assist for years.

(I've tried to upload a couple of small screen shots just now of the cursor on both a non-blank line and a blank line, but it kept saying there was something wrong with my uploads. There's not much to look at anyway, but I did catch it with the blinking cursor actually shown on the screen.)

If there's any other info you need, please let me know. I'm off to reboot and see if removing Tabs Studio entirely did the trick.
accord Posted - Apr 21 2011 : 10:14:50 PM
I am also using Tab Studio for a while (VS2010) with VA but have never experienced any compatibility problem.

Now I tried your setting (solid and dotted box for current line) using VS2008 SP1 and VA1845 but still not seeing any visual problem on empty lines.

I think there might be a setting which causes this since this was working for your before the reinstall.... I guess you were using Win7 before the wipe, so this hasn't changed. Is that right?

Can you please export Visual Studio and Visual Assist settings?

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings

IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

So I can import them here to see if it help reproducing the problem.
You can send the settings via the form after the jump:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

Please paste the URL of this topic to the description field so we can match it up.

Do you remember what Tabs Studio options did you change? I was testing using the default settings, version 2.3.2.
What Tabs Studio version are you using?

Update: have you installed SP1 for VS2008?
Jeff Elliott Posted - Apr 21 2011 : 6:09:15 PM
I dropped back to Visual Studio builds 1837 and 1842, and the problem went away. I then reinstalled the current build (1845) and the problem was again gone. Before starting, I had totally uninstalled both Tabs Studio and Visual SVN, and rebooted.

So with Visual Studio 1845 by itself, the "Highlight current line" feature seems to be fine -- whether using a dotted line or solid box.

I then reinstalled Visual SVN and it was still working OK, but when I reinstalled the latest Tabs Studio, the current line was no longer highlighted if it was blank.

I'll pursue this issue with the developer of Tabs Studio.

If anyone else has this same conflict and was able to resolve it by tweaking the configuration of one of these programs, please let me know.

Thanks!

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000