Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Suggestion lists are confusing

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Queequeg Posted - May 13 2011 : 11:41:28 AM
After I type a '.' and some characters, a suggestion list pops up, suggesting completions, like so:

But when I press Ctrl+Space in the same situation, I get a different list:

The worst thing about this is that not only the list is different, but it even selected a different item! I find that extremely annoying, especially since there is a slight delay between typing a character and the list updating/displaying.

Here's how it usually goes: I get a list by typing, then I might do something that hides the list, but notice that I actually liked the suggestion. So i hit Ctrl+Space and Enter only to find that VAX suddenly decides to select a different item. Which means I have to delete the wrong selection and try to get back the correct one.

Is there any way that VAX always uses the same kind of list?

P.S. I use VS 2010 with Intellisense switched off.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Jul 20 2011 : 01:50:04 AM
case=57852 is implemented in build 1854
feline Posted - Jun 02 2011 : 10:28:21 AM
You have a very good point here, and your example is clear, thank you. I have put in a feature request for this:

case=57852
Queequeg Posted - May 31 2011 : 04:37:52 AM
Hm, that's too bad. Isn't it possible to check more often if it makes sense to display the member list? Example I just came across. The code is
double fdx = blob.GetBoundingBox().width;
I copy-paste it, mark the "width" and type 'h' for height. It's not clear to me why there has to be a different list just because I didn't type the dot.
feline Posted - May 30 2011 : 1:03:01 PM
Unfortunately what you are seeing is the expected, by design behaviour. When you start typing in the middle of a word VA will show suggestions, but we have no idea what you are doing, and no reason to assume you expect to see a listbox showing class members.

Typing after the dot, is there a reason you are dismissing the member listbox that appeared when you typed the dot, only to return to type more code at a later time? In this situation you can re-trigger the member listbox either by retyping the dot, or pressing CTRL-SPACE.
Queequeg Posted - May 30 2011 : 04:51:06 AM
These are the tooltips for the variable and the type I'm getting.

I think they are ok.

Feline, I now believe that my problem description in the first post was inaccurate. When I type the dot after a variable, I do get the correct list. The "wrong" list comes up when I type (or replace) some characters in a member name, when the dot was already there. E.g. if the text is
QPainter painter(m_qimage);
painter.daw

(no list visible) and I now enter an 'r', I get a "suggestion from surrounding code" list:

Here's what I tried to describe in my first post. If the text is like this:
painter.
(the dot is already there, no list visible) and I now type one character, only the suggestion list will pop up:

When I disable "include suggestions in listboxes" I can suppress the suggestions list, but then I simply don't get any list at all. To get the members I have to press Ctrl+Space.

So this tells me that VAX does recognize the type, and is capable of displaying the member list, is also capable of displaying a list when I type the 'd' after the dot, but decides to pick the wrong list in this situation. I would like to get the same member list in every situation where that's possible (I'd be fine if it *included* suggestions), without having to press Ctrl+Space.

Sorry for being so confusing. :)
feline Posted - May 27 2011 : 1:08:03 PM
Yes, this is the listbox I am expecting. So member listboxes after dot are working at least some of the time. This suggests that VA is having problems with some of your types and classes.

With the code:

painter.

If you show VA View, then place keyboard focus back into the editor, and now hover the mouse over the type and then the variable in turn is the correct information displayed? I am guessing no, which would suggest VA does not properly know about the Qt libraries, assuming QPainter came from Qt.

If you have not already done so, this blog entry explains setting up the VA include directories for Qt:

http://blog.wholetomato.com/2008/11/20/using-qt-44-with-visual-assist-x/
Queequeg Posted - May 27 2011 : 05:51:51 AM

In this case I get the correct list I believe.

Intellisense disabled:

Btw there seems to be a small problem with the forum. When I try to upload an image, I get the following message.
quote:
There is a problem with the file you are attempting to upload.

Filename options1.jpg File names must use only valid characters

Extension .jpg Certain file extensions are not accepted

Size 140.57 KB File sizes must be reasonable

The file name should be valid, and the extension is definitely accepted, so it's kinda weird that these messages are displayed. What remains is the file size, so it would be nice to know what exactly "reasonable" means (and why 140k isn't reasonable :)).
feline Posted - May 26 2011 : 12:59:34 PM
Queequeg can you please add these two lines of code to one of your files, and then type the dot after the variable:#

std::string testListboxAfterDot;
	testListboxAfterDot

What happens?

I am wondering if this problem effects all types, or just certain ones.

In your first post you said you have intellisense switched off. What do you mean by this?
Queequeg Posted - May 26 2011 : 07:20:47 AM
ShadowIce, AFAIK I don't have VSCommands. I only have AnkhSVN, VAX and the VS Color Theme Editor.

I believe I get the suggestion list (the one with the question mark icons) whenever I type some characters after a dot, not when I type the dot. Example: The text is
  painter.
and there is no list popped up. When I now type an 'r', I get a suggestion list with two items, restore and rotate. To get the member listbox I would have to either hit Esc then Ctrl+Space, or retype the dot.

Ok, that is one problem, but another one is the selected item in a member list. For the QPainter when I type "painter.re", the member list contains a lot of items that start with 're' like redirect, redirected etc. VAX however decides to select restore. I don't understand why it does that, but my guess is that it is trying to be "smart" and select the item I used last? It seems like it has either some sort of state or context. But I really don't want it to do that, because it just makes using the list way harder. What I want is that whenever I type a sequence of characters, the exact same item is selected, unless the underlying class changes.

At the moment these suggestions just seem random and out of the blue to me. Most of the time I get frustrated when trying to use these lists, because when I type something it jumps up and down, seemingly at random. There might be some logic to it, but if I don't understand it, it's completely useless to me.

Let me put it this way: I don't want to have to react to what the list does with my input, it just slows me down. When I see a list on screen, I would like to be able to figure out what to type, type it, hit Enter and be done. I don't want to guess something, type it, see what happens, type something else, see what happens, etc.
ShadowIce Posted - May 26 2011 : 06:11:27 AM
@Queequeg: Do you have VSCommands 2010? I've noticed a similar suggestion list as your first one popping up although I don't have IntelliSense on. When I disable VSCommands I only get the VAX suggestion list.
feline Posted - May 13 2011 : 3:30:27 PM
You should not get a suggestion list when typing a dot after a variable. Does this happen all of the time, or only for certain types, or in certain files?

It suggests that VA does not understand the type, so it cannot produce a member listbox when you type the dot.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000