Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Highlight references could be more useful

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nobodo Posted - Jun 06 2011 : 10:23:14 AM
I use the 'highlight references to symbol under cursor' all the time, it is extremely useful.

However, it could be a bit more useful.

Typically, I will click on a variable, and then I can see all the places where the variable is read from (one color) or written to (another color) with just a glance. That is EXTREMELY useful.

However, in the cases where a variable is modified by an 'out' or a 'ref' modifier, the colors are deceptive and can easily make you miss places where a variable is changed.

Here is an example. The variable 'agisNumber' is modified by the call to TryParse, but there is no indication that this is a place where the variable is modified. This is a simple example, but when using the highlight references feature in real code to quickly find all places where a var is modified this will trip you up.

1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Jun 06 2011 : 5:38:13 PM
We are considering using a different color where a value might be modified (references) and where it is modified based on method signature:

case=22595

case=9955

Thank you for your feedback, I have updated the appropriate case with C# example.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000