Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Bugs and enhancements

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
manski Posted - Jun 10 2011 : 04:26:10 AM
I found some bugs in Visual Assist (latest version - 10.6.1850 - in conjunction with Visual Studio 2010 SP1) regarding C# projects:

• When I open a (C#) project, the VA outline remains empty for the currently opened file until I switch to another file.

• Sometimes Visual Assist opens up an auto-completion box when I'm writing a method documentation (
    ///
    syntax). This happens after I hit return to write a new line and only happens at the beginning of the new line. Not sure, however, how to reproduce it.

• Visual Assist doesn't work well with C# lambda function. Say, I have an event and want to add an event handler. Then I write something like this:
    obj.MyEvent += (s,
    But when I enter the comma, Visual Assist replaces the "s" with something from the auto-completion, so I end up with something like this:
    obj.MyEvent += (SimpleMapWidget,
    However, that's not what the user wants here. "s" is a parameter name and not a type or something else.

Then the enhancement request: The VA outline should be sortable. I know this has been asked before, but still it would be pretty useful. Of course, when the user enables sorting, he/she wouldn't be able to drag and drop functions anymore with the VA Outline. But then, I guess most new user (me included) won't even know that you can reorder your functions with the VA Outline. So IMHO the best solution would be to make sorting optional, ie. provide a button or menu item to enable/disable sorting. When enabling sorting the first time there should be a message box notifying the user that he/she can no longer rearrange functions with the VA Outline as long as sorting is enabled. Also, some care needs to be taken when sorting is enabled and the user specifies regions in the outline (such as
#region
in C# or maybe
#ifdef ... #endif
in C++). Not quite sure how to handle them the best way, but I guess you'll think of something.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Jul 20 2011 : 01:57:40 AM
case=16277 is fixed in build 1854
feline Posted - Jun 10 2011 : 3:41:19 PM
The empty VA Outline when you open a project, do you always get this problem? Is VA Outline pinned open, or set to auto hide on your system? So far I cannot reproduce the problem here.

The completion listbox when typing comments, can you turn on:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Display -> use tomato icons in listboxes and tooltips to mark Visual Assist X content

and see if you are getting tomato icons in this listbox, when it appears. Is the IDE inserting "/// " at the start of each line, after you press enter? I am wondering if you have any VA snippets who's shortcuts start with "/" since these snippets are active in comments, so you could be seeing this.

The C# lambda syntax problem, I think this is covered by:

case=16277

and if so this is a regression, so apologies for this.

Turning to VA Outline, out of interest why do you want to be able to sort this window? As soon as it is sorted it can no longer give you an overview of the current section of the file, and your position in it. If you simply want a list of functions to help you navigate through the file you can use the Alt-M list, which you call tell VA to sort into alphabetical order via:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Display -> Display VA Navigation Bar:
Occurrence / Alphabetical sort of methods in dropdown

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000