Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VC2008: QString no longer recognized

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ceumern Posted - Jun 27 2011 : 05:29:21 AM
As of the latest build (10.6.1850) QString is no longer recognized as a symbol.
When trying to go to the source file, it only lists some forward declarations in Qts headers.
This happened after installing the latest release. Before that everything worked just fine.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jjcf89 Posted - Jul 20 2011 : 10:44:16 AM
Looks like its working.
feline Posted - Jul 20 2011 : 10:31:51 AM
VA 1854 has now been released:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10251
jjcf89 Posted - Jul 18 2011 : 1:17:58 PM
Got to try the 1853 test build and that appears to fix the issue. Hopefully that gets released soon.
jjcf89 Posted - Jul 14 2011 : 1:27:19 PM
Indeed.
ceumern Posted - Jul 14 2011 : 10:49:29 AM
That's alright... we know, we're software developers ;)
feline Posted - Jul 14 2011 : 10:48:34 AM
A new build is currently working its way through internal testing. If everything goes smoothly, and no problems come up, hopefully a new build will be made available in the next few days.

Unfortunately I cannot be any more precise than this, since sometimes unexpected problems come up during testing.
jjcf89 Posted - Jul 14 2011 : 08:49:44 AM
When would this fix be coming out?
XMi Posted - Jul 13 2011 : 3:52:48 PM
That's great news! Thanks for your efforts, and for making such a fantastic tool.
holedigger Posted - Jul 13 2011 : 3:49:12 PM
We've identified the issue, and a fix will be in the upcoming next build.

thanks everyone for your help.
feline Posted - Jul 12 2011 : 10:51:05 AM
Thank you for the updates, knowing when this broke is very useful. We are currently looking into this, and trying to find what changed to trigger the problem.

Hopefully VA 1845 is a good work around for now.
XMi Posted - Jul 12 2011 : 07:17:36 AM
A quick word to report that I have the same issue in the following context:

Win7 64 Ultimate
VS2008 with all Service Packs and patches
VisualAssist 1850
Qt 4.7.3 (the lib only version, binaries prebuild for VS 2008: http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/windows-cpp-vs2008).

As everyone, reverting to 1845 fix the issue (while 1848 still has the issue).
Hope this help.
ceumern Posted - Jul 12 2011 : 06:11:54 AM
I went back to 1845 as well and everything works as it should. I think I will keep using this version for now.
feline Posted - Jul 09 2011 : 1:55:24 PM
Thank you for the update, these two versions of VA make more sense, and hopefully will make it a little easier to work out what is going on here.
jjcf89 Posted - Jul 07 2011 : 4:05:30 PM
The two versions were the most recent large builds.
jjcf89 Posted - Jul 07 2011 : 4:03:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline
jjcf89 is there any reason why you picked VA 1545 and 1548? The fact that one version works and the other fails is really interesting, thank you! I am just wondering why you went back so many versions.

ceumern if you have the time, can you also try VA builds 1545 and 1548 and see if you get the same results? You can download older versions of VA from this page:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/history.asp

Correction: I meant 1845 and 1848. Woops
feline Posted - Jul 07 2011 : 2:21:10 PM
ceumern thank you for the files. Unfortunately I still cannot reproduce the problem, even with your settings and test project.

There has to be another factor at work here, but so far I have not been able to find it. I am going to install the full Qt package on a test system next, and see if that makes any difference.

Hopefully the log files will offer some clues, thank you for these.

jjcf89 is there any reason why you picked VA 1545 and 1548? The fact that one version works and the other fails is really interesting, thank you! I am just wondering why you went back so many versions.

ceumern if you have the time, can you also try VA builds 1545 and 1548 and see if you get the same results? You can download older versions of VA from this page:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/history.asp
jjcf89 Posted - Jul 07 2011 : 09:33:58 AM
So I uninstalled the latest version of VA and installed build 1548 1848 with no change. I then installed build 1545 1845 and QString was detected and autocomplete started working.
jjcf89 Posted - Jul 07 2011 : 09:09:30 AM
Log sent
ceumern Posted - Jul 07 2011 : 05:03:10 AM
quote:

ceumern can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me, along with this new test application:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

I can then import the setting here and use the same application as you, see if I can reproduce the problem. Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

If you have not already done so, can you please try doing a VA symbol database rebuild and loading just the new test solution, to see if this helps?

I have submitted the files, subject is the url of this thread.

I have rebuild the symbol db in my new test app, but that did not change anything.

FYI: here is the list of my addins:

jjcf89 Posted - Jul 06 2011 : 11:07:12 PM
Phat studio is a different plugin.
feline Posted - Jul 06 2011 : 9:08:19 PM
ahkow are you aware of anything that has recently changed that might have triggered this problem?
feline Posted - Jul 06 2011 : 9:06:31 PM
jjcf89 I have the files, thank you for these. Unfortunately I still cannot reproduce the problem. One interesting thing though, when I imported your IDE settings I got the following errors:

Error 1: Keyboard: The command 'PhatStudio.Commands.OpenFile' does not exist. The keyboard shortcut for this command cannot be unbound and has been ignored.
Error 2: Startup: Unable to import property 'StartPageRefreshDownloadedContent' because it contains invalid data 'false'.

do you have any idea where the "PhatStudio" command comes from? Do you have any other plugin's installed?

I just downloaded the Qt library code when setting this up to test it. I am wondering if I need to install the full Qt package, but I would not expect it to be called "PhatStudio".

Log files are next.

Can you please press:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

then restart the IDE, but before you load your solution turn on VA logging:

VA Options -> Performance -> Enable logging

then load your solution. Once VA has finished parsing please trigger a member listbox on a QString instance by typing dot, and also trigger alt-g on "QString". Then close the IDE to stop the log files getting to large.

Please see this FAQ for details of finding and sending us the log files:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305
ahkow Posted - Jul 06 2011 : 9:04:09 PM
This unrecognized QString thing just happens to me too, using Qt 4.7.2 with VS 2010 Ultimate and VAX 10.6.1850.
Previously I just need to add "c:\\qt\\4.7.2\\src" to "Stable Include Files". Restarting and rebuilding symbols do not help.
jjcf89 Posted - Jul 06 2011 : 3:28:01 PM
Woops forgot to send my qstring.h.
qstring files sent now.
jjcf89 Posted - Jul 06 2011 : 3:24:57 PM
Ok I sent the files using the contact form.
jjcf89 Posted - Jul 06 2011 : 3:16:46 PM
According to the SDKMaintenanceTool there is an SDK update from 1.1.1-1 to 1.1.2-1.
After the update the qstring.h file didn't change.

Rebuilding database didn't change anything.
feline Posted - Jul 06 2011 : 3:15:23 PM
jjcf89 thank you for reporting the problem with the image upload feature, I have put in a bug report for this:

case=58591

I am not sure why your qstring.h is a different size to mine. Can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me, along with your qstring.h and qstring.cpp files:

IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

I can then import the settings, and try your qstring files them here and see if I can reproduce the problem.
jjcf89 Posted - Jul 06 2011 : 3:09:29 PM
C:\\QtSDK\\Desktop\\Qt\\4.7.3\\msvc2008\\include\\QtCore\\qstring.h Size: 59,493 bytes

I certainly didn't edit it.
feline Posted - Jul 06 2011 : 3:03:26 PM
ceumern can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me, along with this new test application:

I can then import the setting here and use the same application as you, see if I can reproduce the problem. Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

If you have not already done so, can you please try doing a VA symbol database rebuild and loading just the new test solution, to see if this helps?

jjcf89 what is the file size of your qstring files? I should be using the same version of Qt as you, and I have:

C:\\QtSDK\\Desktop\\Qt\\4.7.3\\msvc2008\\src\\corelib\\tools\\qstring.cpp = 257,808 bytes
C:\\QtSDK\\Desktop\\Qt\\4.7.3\\msvc2008\\src\\corelib\\tools\\qstring.h = 60,746 bytes

It seems unlikely you have edited your qstring class, but I am running out of good ideas to be honest.
jjcf89 Posted - Jul 06 2011 : 12:37:29 PM
quote:

Having just seen QString in the Find Symbol dialog, is VA currently listing any class members for variables of type QString?
Is alt-g still doing the wrong thing?

Its almost as if something in your solution is breaking QString...

Can you please try making a new, default C++ solution, and then try using QString inside this new solution? Since Qt is in the stable include directories once you have added #include <qstring> variables of the type QString might just work.

New solution:

Trying autocomplete:

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000