Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Two VS2010 instances confuse (??)

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PeterSt Posted - Jul 18 2011 : 04:39:14 AM
Hi,

I can't put my finger behind it, but I'm fairly 100% sure that two VS2010 instances influence eachother's settings. I'm not sure which and when, but they do.
Notice that both instances -one for C++ and one for VB- carry different settings to begin with.

One thing to maybe concentrate on is the being active or not being active of VAssistX. Thus, shut it off in e.g. the VB instance, and later it will be On again because the C++ instance incurs for that (I never saw it the other way around).
The again turning On of the Navigation bar would be another example.
In the end I guess it is about everything, but this is harder to check (not explicitly trying everything).

Regards,
Peter
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 22 2011 : 1:59:03 PM
Sometimes it takes me a little while to pin down what people are asking for.

Since VA is an IDE extension I doubt that having two program names would help much.

We don't currently have any plans for language specific settings, since this would require multiplying our options quite a lot, as already seen in the IDE options dialog.

However, if you don't mind changing how you load the IDE, you can emulate this effect manually. Launch the IDE from a batch / script file, and have this file set the VA settings in registry to your language specific settings, before loading the IDE and passing the correct solution as a command line parameter to the IDE, so you will always get the correct solution. Since VA loads its settings from the registry when it loads this should work quite nicely.

To help you do this you can use just one IDE instance, set VA the way you want for a given language, restart the IDE to make sure the settings have been saved correctly to the registry, and use:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings

to generate a .reg file of your preferred settings.
PeterSt Posted - Jul 22 2011 : 12:58:36 PM
Yes !
(but I thought that was clear)

By now it looks like that the two different settings sets may incur for inconsistencies in the Registry. Like VB won't work at all anymore.

But hey, by now these three threads of mine are as mixed.

Of course I am not suggesting to save the settings immediately. So, I sure recognize the problem and I sure wouldn't know how to solve it. Not by standard means that is (like the formsettings class would never be a solution).

But I guess this problem is solved *for me* by not using any settins anywhere (shut all off I mean) like how I worked the pasr couple of weeks. As long as VA Intellisense for C++ keeps on working. And as I said (elsewhere I guess) : thanks for listening.
I'm willing to help out by testing things though, so shoot ahead if you like.

PS: Can't this be solved by providing two the same "programs" which actually are only different names or something ? Not sure how this works out with your Registry Keys though ...
Don't do that for me though ... I'm fine now.
feline Posted - Jul 22 2011 : 10:04:44 AM
If VA saved settings as soon as you set them, this would simply change when the problem occurred, since if you set different settings in different IDE instances, they would still clash, and this clash would have to be resolved sooner or later.

I suspect that when settings are saved is not really the problem. Are you trying to set up different VA settings in different languages?
PeterSt Posted - Jul 22 2011 : 03:10:00 AM
quote:
When you close the IDE VA saves its settings out to the registry. So the last IDE you close will save out its settings, over writing any changes you made earlier.

That is what I imagine yes. So, quite to be expected.

But how can I see this as a beneficial thing ?
Or am I the only one using two VS instances simultanuously (almost) always ?
(using a front end app in VB and a back end in C++)

Thanks,
Peter
feline Posted - Jul 18 2011 : 11:33:26 AM
If you are talking about VA's settings, then this is expected. When you close the IDE VA saves its settings out to the registry. So the last IDE you close will save out its settings, over writing any changes you made earlier.

Does this sound like what you are seeing?

There is the VA navigation bar, which is either on or off for all file types VA supports, but there is also an IDE navigation bar that can be turned on and off on a language by language basis in the IDE options.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000