Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Suggestion for Case Corrections

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
samaursa Posted - Jul 22 2011 : 3:31:06 PM
Although my support has expired, I thought I'd give a suggestion regarding case correction.

When correcting the case, Visual Assist should have some logic (maybe enabled by a checkbox) that it does not correct the case if too many characters have the wrong case consecutively. The correction itself is quite useful, but becomes annoying with some names, for example: width, size etc. (it insists on changing it to WIDTH and SIZE every time).
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
samaursa Posted - Aug 14 2011 : 10:09:57 PM
Yes that is the testing framework I am using. I will prepare a simple project as soon as I can and send it your way.
feline Posted - Aug 01 2011 : 10:57:36 AM
At a guess it sounds like something in your solution is confusing our parser. Is this the testing framework you are using:

https://github.com/philsquared/Catch

Do you have the time to create a simple default C++ solution, and add a couple of simple tests to it, and see if you can reproduce this problem? If so hopefully you would be able to send this to me, so I can try to make sense of what is going wrong here.
samaursa Posted - Jul 30 2011 : 2:08:13 PM
Ok, I spoke too soon... I am not sure how/when it happens but VA just seems to 'forget' my symbols. Right now when I type myObject.size(), size() is underlined in red (myObject is not however, which is a variable declared in the same file). When I went through the steps to your link and rebuilt the database, it worked perfectly and while working through the project it all of a sudden started forgetting my symbols.

Again, I am using CATCH testing framework, where starting a test fixture is done like this:

TEST_CASE_METHOD(ArrayFixture, "Tests", "Some tests")
  {
    // My tests
  }

quote:
EDIT: A little more info. In the same file, if I have a structure and declare my array, VA works perfectly fine inside that structure but not in the test fixtures. So I am assuming that this is because of the complications with the TEST_CASE_METHOD macro. In any case, like I said before, it is not a huge deal, but size is again being problematic.

also, after following registry-edit steps, I could go to definitions of declarations in inline files by using ALT+G. But now, same time as above, I can no longer go to the definition defined in an inline file from a declaration in a header file even though the inline files shows no signs of incorrect parsing by VA (that is, VA works perfectly fine in the inline file)
samaursa Posted - Jul 30 2011 : 1:47:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Feline. That fixes a lot of issues for me (including the size problem)! There are still some files which fail to parse but that may be because they are way too long.

Just as a FYI, I am using CATCH testing framework for C++. It uses some interesting (and relatively complex) macros to build test fixtures. VA would not be able to recognize any of my symbols when writing tests which is where this size issue arose (and is fixed thanks to the registry edits).
feline Posted - Jul 27 2011 : 11:28:26 AM
If VA does not know that "size" is a valid symbol, then correcting it to "SIZE" is the correct behaviour. It looks like the confising code is the real issue here.

Can you try turning on deep macro parsing, as explained here, and see if it makes any difference:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W363
samaursa Posted - Jul 26 2011 : 3:39:22 PM
Well, that is part of the problem I guess. VA gets confused in a lot of areas (some heavy macros for example) including inline (*.inl) files. I have a Vector class that has a size variable but it gets replaced by SIZE every time I type it out. During that time, the inline file has a lot of red underlines. If I tell VA to reparse it, then it is fine for a few seconds. I have experienced this issue on a few different VS projects. That is another issue I ran across but it required more testing and steps to reproduce it before I could put it here in the forum. Sometimes it is large files where if I tell VA to reparse, it will and everything will be fine for about 3-5 seconds (rename will work for example) but then red underlines will show up and it is as if the file I am working on is not part of the project. VA does not understand anything in that file anymore. I have been unable to reproduce it on a consistent basis.

Anyway, I don't expect VA to be perfect, especially on large projects, so I am ok with it not parsing some files properly. But the original correction issue I mentioned does become annoying!

Also note that I have rebuild the database several times.
feline Posted - Jul 25 2011 : 11:20:40 AM
Are the lower case names known to VA? For example are they showing in listboxes as you type? If you have selected the lower case name in a listbox then it should not be replaced with the upper case name as you continue typing.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000