Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Autocomplete madness! (?)

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sitnduck Posted - Sep 14 2011 : 09:33:48 AM
This may sound like a minor point, but it is annoying everyone on this team and hopefully is not a huge fix.

It looks like when auto-complete appears, SOMETIMES we just can press "enter" and it works (as the first item is pre-highlighted)G?

But SOMETIMES the first item is NOT selected, so we need to hit the "down arrow" first to get into "selection mode". THEN hit the "up arrow" to get back to the first item (if that's what we wanted to select).

I cannot count how many times I hit "enter" and just created a new line in the editor; or how many times I hit "down" but the item I wanted was actually selected. This seems to happen to everyone on our team and any fix would be greatly appreciated! Or are we just crazy?

Thank you!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Sep 15 2011 : 11:13:29 PM
Tab and Enter are accepting both suggestion and member listboxes for me, using VS2010, VA 1854 and C++, a .cpp file. I don't know why you are seeing the behaviour you are seeing.

Can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

I can then import them here and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

A sample code file, showing me the lines you are typing, and where you are seeing the problem would also be useful, then I can be sure I am testing the right thing.
sitnduck Posted - Sep 15 2011 : 3:03:56 PM
(Using Visual Studio 2010 and VA build 1854)

Yes! it could very well be suggestion versus member list boxes. Is there a way to be able to use ENTER on both/any/all? Any reason why we shouldn't?

Thank you!
feline Posted - Sep 15 2011 : 12:09:57 PM
Which IDE, version of VA and programming language are you working on?

Can you post a couple of lines of code that show the problem you are encountering?

You could be seeing a difference between VA suggestion listboxes and member listboxes.
sitnduck Posted - Sep 14 2011 : 3:37:17 PM
Thank you! Actually, this didn't seem to help --BUT-- looking further into it we see that the following is happening.

The focus seems to be working, but some elements say "Accept with: <TAB> or <ENTER>", whereas some elements (often in the same line as we type) say "Accept with: <TAB>". (no ENTER). Options "commit with tab" and "with enter" are ON.

Is there some reason for this behavior (I'm sure there is!), and more importantly would it be possible to have ENTER accept suggestions in all circumstances?

Thanks again!

feline Posted - Sep 14 2011 : 11:21:53 AM
For suggestion listboxes, this is by design, but there is a registry key you can set to tell suggestion listboxes to always have focus. This is explained here:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W350

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000