Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Enhanced syntax coloring not working in VS2010

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nick.tucker Posted - Oct 04 2011 : 10:49:00 AM
With build 1859 of Visual Assist X (and previous builds too) enhanced syntax colouring is not working in Visual Studio 2010 when run on a Windows Server 2008 x64 Terminal Server. It works ok when run in Visual Studio 2008 on that server and also on a separate copy of Visual Studio 2010 running on an x86 Windows 7 workstation.

What am I doing wrong here?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 11 2011 : 1:07:15 PM
Can you try pressing the button:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> Use Defaults

and then using OK to close the IDE options dialog. Does this make any difference?

If the use defaults button makes no difference, have you tried reinstalling VA since installing VS2010 SP1? You mention changing VA versions, I just want to be sure of the order of events here.
EdTheC Posted - Nov 09 2011 : 12:00:10 PM
Ooops, forgot to mention that I installed VS2010 SP1 last night. That seemed to be the culprit - it was fine until that.
EdTheC Posted - Nov 09 2011 : 11:58:49 AM
This just started happening to me now. I was using 1856. I tried everything above with no luck. I installed 1859, and it's "worse" in the sense that the local symbol bold was working on 1856, but now it does not. help!
IgorT75 Posted - Nov 09 2011 : 11:29:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline
Have you ever seen this problem before? If it often happens on your system that would be an interesting clue.

No, I haven't seen this issue before - it appeared today after build 1859 installation. I searched on forum for solution and very soon found the one above. Now issue has gone.
feline Posted - Nov 09 2011 : 11:19:53 AM
Its definitely a bug, unfortunately not one I am able to reproduce, so we don't yet know what is causing the bug, or how to fix it.

Have you ever seen this problem before? If it often happens on your system that would be an interesting clue.
IgorT75 Posted - Nov 09 2011 : 09:47:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by nick.tucker

Double checked and found that of the options:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Text Editors
VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Tooltips
VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Listboxes
VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Object Browser
VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Views
VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Wizard Bar

Only 'Text Editors' was turned on, so I turned the others on - no change (could have sworn these were all turned on earlier).

Then pressed the button

IDE tools menu->Options->Environment->Fonts and Colors->Use Defaults

and used OK

SUCCESS!!

Thank you very much

Cheers

Thanks for solution of enchanced coloring not working.
I faced it today after I was offered to download new VA build (1859).
Enchanced coloring disappeared.
I tried to switch it on/off and back in VA options - didn't help.
Looks like obvious bug - enchanced coloring should not be switched off after new build installation.
And should not be turned on so hard way.
feline Posted - Oct 27 2011 : 2:25:32 PM
This has come up occasionally over the years. I have never been able to reliably reproduce this here on any of my test systems, and I am always upgrading and down grading VA.

Something seems to happen between VA's installer and the IDE to trigger this. I have wondered if there could be some form of clash with registry keys getting updated correctly, but I have no evidence for this, its just speculation. If we could ever reproduce the effect on demand that would be very helpful, since then we could try to find out what was actually going wrong.
evolution Posted - Oct 26 2011 : 3:23:59 PM
Same problem here (Windows 7 Professional, 64bit, VS2010 SP1), same fix was necessary (and successful) - I skipped all of the intermediate steps suggested; I can confirm that the step required to fix the issue is clicking the "Use Defaults" button on the 'Fonts and Colors' page of the IDE's options dialog.

Here are a few other points to consider based on my experience:
1. Upgrading to the latest VAX build(1859) is the last change I made to VS2010. Prior to updating VAX to 1859, enhanced syntax coloring was working correctly in the text editor and nothing else has been installed, uninstalled, options changed, or anything.
2. The missing syntax coloring only seems to affect VAX View, VAX Outline, and text editors (affects at least C++ and C#, didn't try any other languages). All other control types (as listed in the "Enhance Syntax Coloring for" area of VAX Options), such as list, dropdowns, intellisense popups, etc., still displayed the enhanced syntax coloring correctly.
feline Posted - Oct 12 2011 : 12:16:32 PM
I am glad we finally got this working
nick.tucker Posted - Oct 12 2011 : 01:42:05 AM
Double checked and found that of the options:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Text Editors
VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Object Browser

Only 'Text Editors' was turned on, so I turned the others on - no change (could have sworn these were all turned on earlier).

Then pressed the button

IDE tools menu->Options->Environment->Fonts and Colors->Use Defaults

and used OK

SUCCESS!!

Thank you very much

Cheers
feline Posted - Oct 11 2011 : 5:41:44 PM
I know its a silly question, but can you double check that you have:

turned on.

Can you try pressing the button:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> Use Defaults

and then using OK to close the IDE options dialog.

What colour, foreground and background, do you have "Identifier" set to in the IDE font and color options? It should be default and default, especially after pressing the "Use Defaults" button.
nick.tucker Posted - Oct 11 2011 : 3:52:42 PM
Yes, the VA X items are present under IDE fonts and colors settings.

I have tried deleting the registry key you specified but unfortunately that hasn't improved things.
feline Posted - Oct 11 2011 : 3:04:57 PM
At least some good news here, some of VA's highlighting is having an effect.

In the IDE fonts and colors settings, are you seeing the VA X items in the list? "VA X Brace Error", etc.

Can you try closing all instances of VS2010, then loading regedit and deleting the following key, and all of its content and children:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\10.0\\FontAndColors\\Cache\
VS2010 will re-create this key next time it loads. It is possible this will help.
nick.tucker Posted - Oct 11 2011 : 05:09:41 AM
Showing:

IDE tools menu->Options...->Environment->Fonts and Colors

then pressing the OK button, has no effect.

If I change the default foreground Comment color in the IDE Options Fonts and Colors setting, the editor does use the chosen color (I changed it from the green default to yellow and it started using yellow for comments).

VA Options->Advanced->Fonts and Colors->Local symbols in Bold and
VA Options->Advanced->Fonts and Colors->Stable symbols in Italic

Both work fine - the effect is seen in the editor.

It would be really nice if this could be fixed.

Cheers
feline Posted - Oct 10 2011 : 1:53:57 PM
Unfortunately we do not officially support running VA under Terminal Server. Based on previous support enquiries some of our users seem to have made this work.

If you open the IDE options dialog, and show:

IDE tools menu -> Options... -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors

then press the OK button, does this have any effect?

If you change the default foreground Comment color in the IDE Options Fonts and Colors settings, does the editor use the chosen color?

If you turn on:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Local symbols in Bold
VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Stable symbols in Italic

do either of these settings work? Are you seeing the effect in the editor?
nick.tucker Posted - Oct 06 2011 : 06:58:27 AM
I've just inserted an image of a screenshot so you can see what I'm seeing - VS2010 has coloured keywords like 'this' and 'delete' but Visual Assist is not colouring class names as expected. VA Outline and VA View also don't seem to be using syntax coloring.

Apologies for the indistinct rendering of the words in blue but I had to reduce the file size to satisfy your 100kb image limit!
feline Posted - Oct 05 2011 : 4:50:50 PM
My mistake, appoligies for that, I had not realised that "Optimize screen updates during Remote Desktop sessions" is not offered in VS2010. That's what I get for not double checking before posting.

Are you seeing VA syntax highlighting in listboxes? VA Outline? VA View? Assuming you have these options turned on.

I don't have any experience of Windows Server Terminal Services, and it looks like it will take a lot of setting up a test environment, I am asking if any of our developers knows more about it.
nick.tucker Posted - Oct 05 2011 : 11:24:02 AM
Under VA Options -> Performance, the option 'Optimize screen updates during Remote Desktop sessions' is not present! The options I have are:

Keep symbols in memory for fast response after Alt+Tab (enabled).
Watch for externally modified files and reparse when necessary (disabled).
Parse all files when opening a project (enabled).
Enable logging (disabled).
Enable auto recovery (disabled).

I have double-checked that VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Enable Enhanced Syntax Coloring is set, and I have tried turning it off and back on again, but that doesn't help.

The rest of Visual Assist X seems to be working fine.

I am not using any other VS Extensions.
feline Posted - Oct 04 2011 : 9:31:00 PM
Are you able to log into the server directly, and then load VS2010, to see if the problem is with the server OS or with the terminal server?

If you try turning:

VA Options -> Performance -> Optimize screen updates during Remote Desktop sessions

On or Off does this make any difference?
accord Posted - Oct 04 2011 : 8:00:02 PM
Do you have the following option enabled or disabled?

VA Options -> Performance -> Optimize screen updates during Remote Desktop sessions

Are other VA features working?

Can you please try if disabling Aero makes any difference?

Can you please double check that

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Enable Enhanced Syntax Coloring

and

are enabled?

Are you using any other VS extensions?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000