Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 wxWidgets parsing problems

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
samaursa Posted - Oct 21 2011 : 10:34:47 AM
I am running into several wxWidgets parsing issues. The major ones are:

• Is able to parse wxFlatNotebook.h (that is, within that file, Visual Assist displays all symbol colours correctly and is able to go to symbol definitions etc.), but when another file (header/source) uses it, all symbols for wxFlatNotebook are underlined red (and any intellisense fails to work).

• wxTreeItemId is parsed correctly (similar to above) but method calls (specifically IsOk()) is always underlined. Similar problem happens with wxString (a few other files as well but these are the major ones for now)

I have rebuilt the database quite a few times. I also have NoDepthLimit for macro parsing.

VA Version: 10.6.1848.0
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
samaursa Posted - Oct 28 2011 : 2:44:46 PM
I set-up my includes on a per project basis. This is mainly so that when I submit my project to the TA/Prof for marking, he/she is able to compile without installing external SDKs and adding any paths. So to answer your question, I am assuming VA knows about the includes because my the wxWidgets directory is there in the "Additional Include Directories" in the project settings.

I will try the suggestion regarding StdAfx.h.
feline Posted - Oct 28 2011 : 2:27:36 PM
Interesting, when I use Alt-g on "wxFlatNotebook" VA takes me directly to a file, no menu is shown. I am being taken to:

C:\\wxWidgets-2.8.10\\include\\wx\\wxFlatNotebook\\wxFlatNotebook.h
line 111

What is the full path of your "wxFlatNotebook.h" file? I am puzzled that your line numbers are different to the line I was taken to. I am so also interested in the fact that wxWidgets is not in your VA stable include directories. How have you told the IDE, and thus VA, about wxWidgets?

Looking at line 111, can you try adding the entry:

#define WXDLLIMPEXP_FNB

to your VA StdAfx.h file, as described here:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W302

and rebuilding your VA symbol database. Does this make any difference?
samaursa Posted - Oct 28 2011 : 10:09:43 AM
I see two paths when I press Alt+G:

wxFlatNotebook.h - line 591
wxFlatNotebook.h - line 127

Info:
VA_X.dll file version 10.6.1848.0 built 2011.05.04
Licensed to:
(removed this info - I believe you already have it, if not, I can PM it)
DevEnv.exe version 9.0.21022.8 Professional
msenv.dll version 9.0.21022.8
Font: Courier New 15(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.7600.16661
Windows 7 6.1 Build 7600
4 processors (x86)

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\include;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0A\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0A\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft DirectX SDK (February 2010)\\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\crt\\src;
feline Posted - Oct 27 2011 : 2:16:56 PM
Thank you for this. I have now downloaded and extracted this zip file, and merged it into my existing wxWidgets library code in a fairly rough and ready manor. I am using the very simple test code:

wxFlatNotebook fooBook;
	fooBook;
	fooBook.SetRightClickMenu();

When I type a dot after "fooBook" I get a listbox, and I just accepted one of the functions at random.

When you use alt-g on the class "wxFlatNotebook" what is the full path of the header file that you are taken to?

Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup, including your stable include directories.
samaursa Posted - Oct 27 2011 : 09:47:09 AM
Hi feline,

I apologize, I should have mentioned that. wxFlatNotebook is not officially part of wxWidgets yet (or a least not in 2.8.1). You can download the source from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxflatnotebook/files/wxflatnotebook/wxflatnotebook_2.2/

When you unzip, you will find a 'contrib' folder. There should be a folder with the same name in your downloaded wxWidgets as well. You can then simply add the project in the main wxWidgets solution and it should compile without any additional work on project settings.
feline Posted - Oct 21 2011 : 5:04:51 PM
Assume I know nothing about wxWidgets, which is basically the case

I have installed wxWidgets 2.8.10 since I already have this downloaded and available, and it is close to your version. I have just done a search for the string "wxFlatNotebook" in all files in the wxWidgets install directory, and no files are being found.

What am I missing? What have I not done?

Or is "wxFlatNotebook" not actually part of the wxWidgets library? I have installed the windows version, as far as I know.
samaursa Posted - Oct 21 2011 : 2:07:51 PM
Hi feline,

That worked partially. For example, in the following line of code:

template <typename T>
MyNotebook<T>::MyNotebook(/* various arguments */) : wxFlatNotebook {}

wxFlatNotebook is underlined. But, Alt+g works on the symbol and takes me to the correct symbol/file. Also, none of the inherited functions show in the intellisence list and if called, will be underlined red.

Versions: I am using Windows 7, Visual Studio 2008 and wxWidgets 2.8.9
feline Posted - Oct 21 2011 : 1:42:30 PM
We have had the occasional report of problems with wxWidgets, and last time this came up adding a couple of lines to VA's StdAfx.h file fixed the problems. Can you please edit VA's "StdAfx.h" file as explained in this FAQ entry:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W302

and add the entries:

#define WX_DEFINE_USER_EXPORTED_ARRAY_PTR
#define WX_DEFINE_ARRAY(testParam1, testParam2);

at the bottom, making sure there is a blank line at the end of the file. This file is used to help VA's parser with difficult code, and can be used to work around odd effects. After modifying this file you need to rebuild the VA symbol database for the changes to take effect:

VA Options -> Performance -> General -> Rebuild symbol databases

If this does not help you, which version of wxWidgets are you using? I will see if I can reproduce the problem here.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000