Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Improvement suggestion on filtering method

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jzq740176597 Posted - Nov 07 2011 : 02:24:13 AM
I wonder if someone in your team or some users have mentioned a question,about the filtering method based the input string entered in VA context field to find a method in this file.
Largely,most cases the user cann't remember the token name exactly.They only have a vague impression about the name.So when spelling in context field,i.e "scaleBoundPoly()" but even if I spell "sale.." or "sacle.." I will lose this match.This algorithm or filter method is a little defective or improper at least.
And this defect perhaps also effect in Intellisense prompt in source text window.
I think,in user's perspective,more fuzzy match method is better.e.g.When entered some letters,the one either contain the input letters or the capital can match the input can be considered as a candidate.It's always much better the input can have matches,even may be more rather than there's no candidate.
All in all,then filtering algorithm must do some improment.It must be more tolerant,fuzzy,no-strict,then it's able to supply more candidates rather than lose the major and impose user to cudgel one's brains to figue out accurate spell.
I have been seen a programmer used an analogous tool,but I forget it's name,It's filter method is more tolerant,then has more practical significance I think.Hope your team can find one,to do some test and get inspire from it.
Hope you can find a good solution.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jzq740176597 Posted - Nov 14 2011 : 9:21:52 PM
We cannot just use the same method as the find symbol dialog though, since this dialog lets you put spaces between your search terms. Once you type a space in the editor, you are typing a new symbol.

Yes,indeed!Hope a powerful filtering solution appear!Good luck!
feline Posted - Nov 14 2011 : 12:11:12 PM
accord has already put in a feature request for more fuzzy filtering of listboxes:

case=62622

We cannot just use the same method as the find symbol dialog though, since this dialog lets you put spaces between your search terms. Once you type a space in the editor, you are typing a new symbol.
jzq740176597 Posted - Nov 13 2011 : 8:37:59 PM
quote:
Are you now saying that Alt-M list filtering does what you want?

No,it's not sufficient.The Rule should more loose and flexible.Despite order and case on demand.
quote:
If you only remember some parts of a class or type name, have you tried using VA's Find Symbol dialog?

yes!I am very familiar with Find Symbol dialog,e.g.It can type hitting string in any order,This is a very comforting approach.This's just what I strongly recommended more loose and flexible filtering mechanism for aiding us finding more candidates and do writing the code fast even I cann't remember some symbol.
Why not improve it and apply it to AutoText suggestion Filtering and can supply more assistance for programer?
feline Posted - Nov 11 2011 : 2:29:53 PM
I am confused. Are you now saying that Alt-M list filtering does what you want? Since that is what you started asking about.

If you only remember some parts of a class or type name, have you tried using VA's Find Symbol dialog? You can filter this on the parts you remember, using spaces to separate them, so you can type them in any order. If you find the type you want in this dialog, you can right click on the item in the list and copy the symbol name, ready to paste into your code.
jzq740176597 Posted - Nov 10 2011 : 9:20:04 PM
[quote]Originally posted by accord
but it may not trivial to implement this to cause more good than harm. I mean, a lot of not useful results won't help.[quote]
I am also aware of it.Yes,it may effect the performance and speed.And the possible permutation algorithm also little complicated. Further more,It can supply likely unuseful and redundant
chooices.(like current mode,can supply some check options in setting)
I still that sentence,for every programmer,the situation is always
gratifying although supplied more than nothing.Now situation is even I miss only the first letter I can get noing and lose my hand.
I think this improment will definitely make big sense.
My thought is:(1)first priority filtering rule:keeping current mode.filtering by relevancy and input chars order.
(2)Breaking the input string into segments.Based on Hungarian notation or other good naming specification, the valid symbol always can tokenize to some significant tokens(usual lead a capital as a word's abbreviation or a existing word),with several arbitrary suffix or prefix,by extracting those info,then matching the token and compare the suffix and prefix.if also sufficient,loose some rule e.g.despite the order,case-sensitive.until find about 5 andidates.It will be very glad and convenient to choose one from them.Or you team can find some more wiser mechanism to define a filtering rule.
when the first priority cann't find enough matches.then switch to this second.To accomplish fuzzy-input-matching objective.
Best wishes!
accord Posted - Nov 10 2011 : 4:18:26 PM
Very intriguing idea. It can be useful, but it may not trivial to implement this to cause more good than harm. I mean, a lot of not useful results won't help. One solution for this may be to provide fuzzy output only when traditional methods has failed. (i.e. not produced any results).

Anyhow, I have put in a feature request for this to see what the developers make of it:

case=62622

I have included your example typos.
jzq740176597 Posted - Nov 09 2011 : 8:25:58 PM
Any one can reply and help me?
jzq740176597 Posted - Nov 08 2011 : 12:36:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by feline

Are you familiar with shorthand and acronyms for filtering listboxes?

Yes!I aware it before.Just like the jpg showing above.

quote:
Would adding the same filtering options to the list of methods in file help enough? The advantage of this idea is that you are seeing and using the same method in two different places.

Yes!I quite agree with it.Maintain consistency is very good practice for the software.But I think it doesn't help enough for speeding and assisting write code.In fact,current method is already enough for Alt-m list,because the file's all content is already available and present.Here we only to find it's location rapidly not doing some creative work from brain or fuzzy memory segment.Even though Filter method cann't do much favour we also can find it by scanning the file.But when writing code,all what we got is fuzzy memory segment in brain.We prefer finding more candidates to hit a symbol it's just match what we want.I admit shorthand and acronyms is really help us more.But I still find room for improvement.
e.g I have a class "CGbXmlOut",even I spell "GbXmlout" I cann't got any suggestion.Most cases we only remember a middle or back-half segment of a symbol.worse case is We also misspell some letters in order.Largely in there cases We can get nothing.It's seem that VA
especially values the head letter's or heading letters's Correctness and order.So I need filtering rule more tolerant,more fuzzy! Then can supply more candidates other than noting.
while writing code,VA can give us more power to list more candidates not find the correct one.Because it's inherent feature of human beings is that with kind of overall,rough,conceptual,impressional view to cognize and describe sth.Software's mission is to act as the bridge to link the impressional,fuzzy segment in brain to precise,concrete symbol.
Hope you can do a detailed test for the non-satisfactory cases I mentioned above,get more inspire and find a solution.think you!
feline Posted - Nov 07 2011 : 09:13:00 AM
This makes sense. Are you familiar with shorthand and acronyms for filtering listboxes?

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/shorthand.asp
http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/acronym.asp

Would adding the same filtering options to the list of methods in file help enough? The advantage of this idea is that you are seeing and using the same method in two different places.

Are you aware that you can use the same filtering in the Alt-m list as you can in the Open File dialog? "scale poly -debug" will work in the Alt-m list, giving you more power to find the correct item.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000