Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VS2010 crash on startup

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
supertony Posted - Nov 22 2011 : 11:27:27 AM
Hi,

I have a fresh install of VS2010 Ultimate (version 10.0.30319.1) on Windows 7 Professional, which crashes on start up if I have VA (build 1859) installed.

I can make the crash go away if I delete (or rename) the C:\\Users\\adann\\AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\10.0\\Extensions directory after which I get this pop up.

If I look at the generated ActivityLog.xml file the only references to Visual Assist are:

<entry>
    <record>20860</record>
    <time>2011/11/22 16:20:13.946</time>
    <type>Information</type>
    <source>VisualStudio</source>
    <description>Begin package load [Visual Assist X]</description>
    <guid>{44630D46-96B5-488C-8DF9-26E21DB8C1A3}</guid>
  </entry>
  <entry>
    <record>20861</record>
    <time>2011/11/22 16:20:13.948</time>
    <type>Information</type>
    <source>VisualStudio</source>
    <description>Loading UI library</description>
    <guid>{44630D46-96B5-488C-8DF9-26E21DB8C1A3}</guid>
    <path>C:\\Users\\adann\\AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\10.0\\Extensions\\Whole Tomato Software\\Visual Assist X\\10.6.1859.0*\\VaPkgUI.dll</path>
  </entry>

I'm not familiar with what this should look like, but the path to VaPkgUI.dll looks odd with the asterix in it?

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 23 2011 : 10:59:39 AM
I have replied via email.
supertony Posted - Nov 23 2011 : 08:01:07 AM
Hi,

quote:
Originally posted by feline

How did you download / install Visual Assist X? Did you download the exe installer from our website, or did you download it from the Visual Studio gallery?

I am wondering if you might have a corrupt installer, since this is definitely not supposed to happen.

Can you please try reinstalling Visual Assist X, perhaps using a different method.

I originally installed via the exe from your website. I've now tried with the one from the Visual Studio gallery and when that failed in the same way I downloaded again from your site with the same result.

quote:
Originally posted by feline
If you still have the same problem, can you please open a command prompt window, navigate to the directory where VS2010 is installed, by default:

cd "C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\Common7\\IDE\\"

on Windows 7 32bit, and then issue the command:

devenv.exe /Log "c:\\src\\vs2010.log"

obviously use a valid path for the file, where the IDE process will have permission to write a log file. Can you then send us the log file please, hopefully this will offer some clues. Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

I've sent the log file via the contact url.

I didn't mention in my first post that I'm using x64 Windows 7 and that I have VS2008 installed as well.
I also tried with and without entering my VA X license key via VS2008 before attempting to run VS2010.

Thanks,
tony
feline Posted - Nov 22 2011 : 3:35:38 PM
How did you download / install Visual Assist X? Did you download the exe installer from our website, or did you download it from the Visual Studio gallery?

I am wondering if you might have a corrupt installer, since this is definitely not supposed to happen.

Can you please try reinstalling Visual Assist X, perhaps using a different method. If you still have the same problem, can you please open a command prompt window, navigate to the directory where VS2010 is installed, by default:

cd "C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\Common7\\IDE\\"

on Windows 7 32bit, and then issue the command:

devenv.exe /Log "c:\\src\\vs2010.log"

obviously use a valid path for the file, where the IDE process will have permission to write a log file. Can you then send us the log file please, hopefully this will offer some clues. Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000