Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 IntelliSense in VS2012 interferes with VA's sugges

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
A.R. Posted - Jul 17 2013 : 05:16:45 AM
In some C++ projects on my Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1 workstation in Visual Studio Professional 2012 (version 11.0.60610.01 Update 3), Visual Assist X (version 10.7.1946.0, but also 10.7.1940.0) displays its suggestion list for only a short time (a second or two). After that it seems to be replaced by Microsoft's default IntelliSense suggestions. It's very annoying, this almost prevents using VA's suggestions.

Please see the screen recording at http://imgur.com/ZJvmnbz to understand what I'm talking about.

This problem apparently does not occur on workstations of my colleagues who have also Visual Assist X installed. We have Visual Studio 2005 Professional also installed, but are mostly not using this old version.

Deleting auxiliary *.sdf and *.v11.suo files (solution's SQL database and user options) doesn't resolve the problem (i.e., no change at all in this respect). I've tried to disable VA, restart VS2012, re-enable VA and restart VS2012 again. I've also tried even to reinstall Visual Assist X, but to no avail.

What's wrong going on and what should I do to fix this nuisance?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Aug 05 2013 : 6:20:58 PM
Thanks for the additional info. Glad turning off that option is viable for you. I asked about your OS because I though it happens only on XP and have an idea how to fix it. But I don't know why is it slow in a clean new project, on Windows 7...
A.R. Posted - Aug 05 2013 : 01:55:33 AM
Thanks, sean. But I'd rather disable the default IntelliSense altogether; my main problem is that I cannot use VA's listbox normally because it appears only for a short time and then disappears (in favour of Microsoft's listbox), sometimes taking away with it my selection just before I manage to press Tab key (so instead of autocompletion I get just a tabulation character).

Shameful as it is to admit, I didn't know there was the very option for this. Many thanks, accord, you hit the nail on the head with your latest post! Switching "Get content from default Intellisense" off works like a charm. :)

I use 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1 (version 6.1, build 7601), you can see this info in my earlier posts. The CPU is Intel's Core i5-3570 @ 3.40 GHz. I have 32 GiB of RAM installed, but, regarding IntelliSense slowness, the bottleneck is perhaps my regular hard drive (it's not an SSD yet).
accord Posted - Aug 03 2013 : 2:05:55 PM
Investigating further, I was able to reproduce your problem even without your settings, using a WinXP virtual machine. So other environmental factors seems to be playing a role here. I am not able to repro on Windows 7 x64.

The problem is that Intellisense producing the listbox very slowly, for some reason. So Viusal Assist's listbox appears first and then get replaced by the Intellisense listbox when it is finally available.
When I disable Visual Assist temporarily, I only get the Intellisense listbox with a large delay (around 1 sec).

So 2 workarounds are possible here:
1. Turning off Intellisense Content via disabling VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Get content from default Intellisense
2. Turning off VA Listboxes via VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Enable Visual Assist X completion, suggestion and member listboxes

The second suggestion is an extremely radical workaround though, since you would lose VA suggestions listboxes (including type-aware smart suggestions), VA snippets, Acronyms and Shorthand, etc.

Which operation system are you using?
accord Posted - Aug 02 2013 : 4:06:33 PM
I got the files, thank you. I was able to reproduce the problem and will investigate.

For now, you can turn off

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Get content from default Intellisense

as a workaround: the problem ceases since VA listboxes stays on the screen.

(This is a different problem though, since this is a listbox and not a quick info tooltip.)
sean Posted - Aug 02 2013 : 12:47:53 PM
We have made an additional change for the next build (after 1949) to ensure that param info displayed by VA goes away when param info that is eventually displayed by default intellisense finally appears. If you only want to see param info from default intellisense, then you can disable VA param info via this faq: http://docs.wholetomato.com?W122
accord Posted - Aug 01 2013 : 5:36:37 PM
Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce the problem. Will ask a developer to check it, maybe he will have more "luck".

Also, can you please send in your Visual Studio and Visual Assist settings?

1. VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings

2. IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

So we can import them here to see if it helps reproducing the problem.

You can send the settings in using the following form:
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

Please include the URL of the topic in the description field so we can match it up.
A.R. Posted - Jul 31 2013 : 04:47:59 AM
I was able to reproduce the problem to some extent in a new clean very small sample unit test project. The whole solution folder is available (for a month) at http://ge.tt/1jwFSPn (download and unzip UnitTestSample.zip).

As you can see at http://imgur.com/cGc0Q40 (I've made a new screen capture), the buggy behaviour in this small project is essentially the same, except it flickers for a much shorter time (a quarter of a second or so). In my main project the VA's suggestion box appears for about a whole second before disappearing/reappearing without a tomato icon.

Although this seems to always happen whenever the MS C++ Unit Test Framework is involved, it's not limited to any particular library (once the project includes Framework's necessary headers among others). For example, the same happens when typing a double-colon for std::string etc.

On the contrary, projects not using MS C++ Unit Test Framework do not seem to be so prominently affected because there the MS's IntelliSense box (without the tomato icon) appears usually the first (and stays). But occasionally, if VA still manages to come up first (this is rare, hard to reproduce), it'll sometimes disappear after a couple of seconds.
accord Posted - Jul 30 2013 : 5:24:58 PM
Does this always happen in that project or just with specific symbols?
Can you please try creating a clean new test project to see if you can reproduce the problem there?
If you are not able to, can you please turn on logging, reproduce the problem and send the log files in?
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305
A.R. Posted - Jul 30 2013 : 11:57:59 AM
Today I've tried out the July 25th build. At first, the new beta version 10.7.1949.0 seemed to resolve the problem. Unfortunately, at some later point the same day I've installed it, the problem has returned.

Currently it manifests itself in a project, which uses Microsoft Unit Testing Framework for native C++, inside a solution with hundreds of projects in it, with external libraries (Boost etc.) and additional include directories linked using macros such as $(SolutionDir).

The following info is copied from Visual Assist's options (I've concealed the e-mail address):

VA_X.dll file version 10.7.1949.0 built 2013.07.25
Licensed to: VA X: ***@********.com (10-user license) Support ends 2013.09.16
DevEnv.exe version 11.0.60610.1 Professional
msenv.dll version 11.0.60610.1
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.7601.17514
Windows 7 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1
4 processors (x86-64; WOW64)
Language info: 1257, 0x425

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v7.1A\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\8.0\\Include\\winrt;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\8.0\\Include\\shared;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\8.0\\Include\\um;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\\VC\\crt\\src;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;

I have also the following extensions installed in VS2012:

Also these components: LightSwitch, Office Developer Tools, Team Explorer, Code Analysis Spell Checker, SharePoint Developer Tools, PreEmptive Analytics Visualizer (1.0), SQL Server Data Tools (11.1.20627.00), Web Developer Tools (1.2.40308.0).
accord Posted - Jul 17 2013 : 08:47:27 AM
This problem should be fixed in the next build:

case=75087

But let us know, if it won't help.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000