Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 sometimes "lags" while scrolling

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Marco123 Posted - Oct 16 2013 : 07:36:17 AM
Hi,

If I've opened a file for a longer time, I get "lags" during scrolling (see appended image).
The only "fix" is to close the source file and open it again.

I cannot say much about the circumstances but I have the feeling that this only happens at often updated files.

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Oct 23 2013 : 7:48:54 PM
Does this happen most days?

The fact that this can take hours to reproduce complicates matters slightly, and raises the possibility of some form of resource leak. The obvious problem with this theory is that opening the VA options dialog fixes the display.

Next time this happens, can you please grab a mini dump of the IDE, "devenv.exe", which is explained in this FAQ entry:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W303

Do you have any sense of how many hours it normally takes before this starts to happen? I am thinking about VA log files. Normally I would ask someone to turn on VA logging, then reproduce the problem, then close the IDE to keep the log files small. However VA logging is turned on via the VA options dialog, which fixes the problem.

So I am thinking that if you normally see this problem after 4 or 5 hours, then after 4 hours turn on VA logging, and then close the IDE when the problem appears, to keep the log files from getting any larger. Turning on logging and finding the log files is explained here:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

If you are able to try this, can you first delete any existing log files before loading the IDE and starting the test run, to keep the log files from getting totally out of hand. This is especially important if this does not happen every day.
Marco123 Posted - Oct 23 2013 : 03:39:30 AM
I'm using QT add-in 1.1.11 (for QT 4).

Disabling or uninstalling isn't really possible (I'm using the VA add-in at the company I'm working at). Sometimes it takes hours until the lags appear but I cannot work without the QT add-in, sorry.
feline Posted - Oct 22 2013 : 1:31:30 PM
Which version of the QT add-in are you using? It looks like there is one for Qt 4 and a different one for Qt 5.

Are you able to disable or uninstall this addin temporarily, and see if this makes any difference? Its possible there is some form of interaction effect going on here.
Marco123 Posted - Oct 22 2013 : 04:47:12 AM
It happens again and only opening/closing the VA options dialog solves the issue. As other dialogs I tried the QT option and the Visual Studio option dialog.

I've also installed the QT add-in, that is the only add-in I've installed.

I'm using two monitor but did not installed any speceial software.
feline Posted - Oct 18 2013 : 09:48:21 AM
A file with all Unix line endings should be no problem at all. Mixed line endings should not matter, but I have occasionally seen mixed line endings cause small problems. I don't expect it to be a factor here, but its a quick thing to check for.

Do you have any other extensions installed in the IDE?

Are you using any Windows utilities that might effect how windows are drawn or updated? An obvious example is Window Blinds by Stardock? Or perhaps a program to help you manage multiple monitors?

*um* I would not expect just opening the VA options dialog box on its own to fix this. Next time this happens can you try opening a couple of other IDE dialog boxes first please, like the IDE Find dialog, the IDE Options dialog. I am wondering if this fix is specific to the VA options dialog, or if its somehow related to how windows are updated when any dialog is opened.
Marco123 Posted - Oct 18 2013 : 01:11:39 AM
It happens again :(

I worked on that file for the last 30 minutes but I didn't notice any pattern.

Then I opened VAssistX -> "Visual AssistX Options..." and in this moment the file is "fixed" and scrolling and the scrollbar is working again. I haven't changed any options, only opened the option dialog.

Hope this helps.
Marco123 Posted - Oct 17 2013 : 12:42:29 AM
First of all, thank a lot for the fast responses.

This happens on network and local files.
The check of consistent line ending is enabled.

The source files are ANSI with Windows line endings. This is also true for the most header files. I think some have Unix line ending. But I cannot change these line ending because I have no access rights and they are shared beetween platforms.

I'll check the other questions if it happens again.
feline Posted - Oct 16 2013 : 3:22:59 PM
Are you aware of any pattern to which files this effects? Does this only happen on network files, or on local files as well?

Once this happens, can you please try turning Off:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Enable Enhanced Syntax Coloring

and see if this has any effect? If so, what happens when you turn this back on again?

Are these Unicode files? I am wondering if there could be extended or control characters in them that are having an effect.

What format are the files? Windows, Unix or Mac line ending? This should not matter, but something is going on here.

Can you check and see if you have:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Documents -> Check for consistent line endings on load

turned On or Off? If this is turned Off, can you please try turning it On, and reload one of these problem files.
Marco123 Posted - Oct 16 2013 : 12:18:36 PM
I'm using Visual Studio 2008 with the latest VA version (10.8.2001.0).
It is a local machine but some header files are on a network folder, some are local.

Changing the view to another file and back resets the view but when I try to scroll again I get the same behaviour.
On the other file I can normally work without problems.

Some other points I've noticed:
- If I scroll very slow (1-5 lines and then wait a little bit) the view is correctly builded.
- The scrollbar at the bottom isn't visible anymore if this behaviour starts and is only resetted when I close and open the file again
feline Posted - Oct 16 2013 : 11:31:46 AM
Which IDE and version of VA are you using?

Is this a local machine or are you working over Remote Desktop, or something similar?

Does changing files, and then changing back to the problem file make any difference?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000