Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 To offer VA's own find-text function

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jzq740176597 Posted - Oct 30 2013 : 9:23:55 PM
VA should offer VA's own find-text function integrating VS's increasing-find(Ctrl+I) and vs's find(Ctrl+F) which utilizes find-symbol powerful search rule.

I use Ctrl+I very frequently,I consider it a very good function which can navigate to the first match immediately.But I also find it shortcoming.

(1)case-sensitive and match must exactly.If I wrong type the letter's case or missing middle letter. it fails.
To deal with this is so easy by use VA's find-symbol search edit-control.
(2)can't select the scope. which only find in current file. May I want to find the text in the project-scope.like that in find-text of vs.

That 's will be powerful and be amazing for coder using vs or va.
consider it!

Best.

--------------
And BTW,don't forget to put Previous & Next button for navigating multi-matches.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jzq740176597 Posted - Nov 03 2013 : 7:48:59 PM
Maybe you're right,I will try,I just very like the VA's filter function ,I mean,it's powerful and I'm very familiar with it.
thanks!
feline Posted - Nov 01 2013 : 10:54:50 PM
In your first post you talked about different scope, so I am still trying to understand what you are after here.

To type anything "clever" like this, VA is likely to show a dialog box. So why not just use the IDE find dialog box in wildcard or even regular expression mode? You can get a similar result very easily.

Instead of using "foo bar" in the VA find symbol dialog, just do a find for "foo*bar" in wildcard mode. I am not sure what you want that the IDE find dialog does not already do.
jzq740176597 Posted - Nov 01 2013 : 04:23:19 AM
quote:
What do you mean by a "file tokens"? Do you mean every word / symbol in the entire file? Lines? Paragraphs? Something else?

I mean every word (not only symbol)in the entire file.That's the well defined list for searching.

quote:
or how the scope is supposed to be set.

May I don't make myself clear. Following my way,scope is fixed in the current-file.no need and no supply to select the scope.

And with IDE's find-text and why need this function?

>To take advantage of Find symbol dialog seaching function(it's awesome) and to locate the word(not only symbol) roughly and fast!

Thanks for fast reply!
feline Posted - Oct 31 2013 : 9:45:34 PM
What do you mean by a "file tokens"? Do you mean every word / symbol in the entire file? Lines? Paragraphs? Something else?

I don't yet understand what you are trying to achieve here, or how the scope is supposed to be set.

Can you please post an example of what you mean. An example search term, an example of what will be searched, and how it will be searched. The Find symbol dialog applies its search to the full symbol name, which can be "class_name::method_name". There we are searching a well defined list. Searching a file is not quite the same thing.
jzq740176597 Posted - Oct 31 2013 : 8:57:51 PM
quote:
Doing a free text search, we don't have "things", we just have the entire file. Plus this won't give you the fast "instant search" you want, since we would need the entire search string before we could start thinking about it

Exactly!The scope-select may be really un-resonable.
But a little different.
We do have G?things",Yes! that's the entire file tokens as "entire search items " and the caret pos is the start-point!

Like "The Find Symbol dialog filtering lets you use several different search terms, in any order, and exclude terms as well"

this entire file's tokens is the "search terms" for filtering,high-light all matches and locate the first after current-pos.
That's it!
feline Posted - Oct 31 2013 : 1:48:55 PM
Ctrl-I uses the same settings for case sensitive and match whole word as Ctrl-F does. So just change these settings in the IDE Find dialog, to change how Ctrl-I works.

Once you have done you find via Ctrl-I, press Ctrl-F and the search term you just used should be the default search term, so you can now set the find scope you want, file or project.

The Find Symbol dialog filtering lets you use several different search terms, in any order, and exclude terms as well. To use these rules we need a "thing" to search. This works in the find symbol dialog, since the "thing" is the symbol name. Doing a free text search, we don't have "things", we just have the entire file. Plus this won't give you the fast "instant search" you want, since we would need the entire search string before we could start thinking about it.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000