Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA no longer listens to colors set via VS options

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
.oisyn Posted - Jan 29 2014 : 5:26:43 PM
VA adds color options to the Fonts and Colors dialog to Visual Studio. I used to have a .reg file that updates these colors whenever they get reset (which unfortunately happens quite often :/). However, since the latest update Visual Assist keeps applying its own colors. Changing the VA colors using the Visual Studio option dialog does nothing. I use VS' own option dialog because the VA option dialog limits the colors to a preset list of colors.

Incidentally, changing the colors via the registry in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VANet11\\Format key doesn't do anything either.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jan 31 2014 : 10:40:19 PM
So far I cannot reproduce the problem with changing VA colours. Under Windows 7 64bit I have VS2012, VA 2023 and the IDE is set to the Dark theme. When I change the VA colour for Variables or Classes in either the VA options dialog or the IDE options dialog, the editor is updated immediately. The other option dialog is also updated with the new colour when I load it.

Which OS are you using?

If you look at:

IDE Tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

what extensions are listed on you system? On a full install of VS2012 with VA I have the following extensions listed:

Microsoft Web Developer Tools
NuGet Package Manager
Visual Assist
Visual Studio Extensions for Windows Library for JavaScript

If you have a different list of extensions that might be a factor.
.oisyn Posted - Jan 31 2014 : 5:30:43 PM
Ok so this is partly my fault ;). I hadn't noticed that all the registry names have changed from "VA X" to "VA", so my premade .reg imported wrong values. After updating the .reg all colors are correct.

This still leaves the weird bug that colors are being changed when opening a project, and the fact that when changing a VA color using the IDE option dialog VA doesn't immediately pick that up (although it seems to apply it whenever you change any VA color using the VA option dialog)
feline Posted - Jan 31 2014 : 5:29:34 PM
Very odd. Is this now working correctly for you? If so, it sounds like changing the colour via the VA options dialog fixed this, but you should not have had to do that.
.oisyn Posted - Jan 31 2014 : 5:09:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

When you go into the IDE options dialog, which item are you changing the colour for?

Items like "VA Variable"

quote:
Is your update being saved in the IDE options dialog, so that when you return to the IDE options dialog, the new colour setting is still there and applied?

Yes.

quote:
What do you have:

IDE Options -> Environment -> General -> Color theme

set to?

Dark

quote:
Opening a project should not change the colours you have set. Changing between a light and a dark theme can cause VA to change the colours it sets for classes, variables, preprocessor macros and methods. This makes sense since different themes require different colours. But simply loading a solution should not have this effect.

I agree that it *should* not happen, but it does ;). But I have manually changed all the colors in VA's own dialog after opening my project, and now all colors remain fine before and after opening a project.

quote:
Originally posted by sean

What version of VA is installed?

2023, and I'm using VS 2012
sean Posted - Jan 30 2014 : 11:00:51 PM
What version of VA is installed?
feline Posted - Jan 30 2014 : 8:17:16 PM
When you go into the IDE options dialog, which item are you changing the colour for?

Is your update being saved in the IDE options dialog, so that when you return to the IDE options dialog, the new colour setting is still there and applied?

What do you have:

IDE Options -> Environment -> General -> Color theme

set to?

Opening a project should not change the colours you have set. Changing between a light and a dark theme can cause VA to change the colours it sets for classes, variables, preprocessor macros and methods. This makes sense since different themes require different colours. But simply loading a solution should not have this effect.
.oisyn Posted - Jan 29 2014 : 5:30:25 PM
Funny thing, if I start Visual Studio and open the Visual Assist option dialog the colors are fine. As soon as I open my project the colors get changed.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000