Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Crash in VS 2012

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
yezheng Posted - Jan 31 2014 : 3:02:01 PM
Visual studio crashed / asserted a lot in my machine, especially when debuggin. The message from the ActivityLo.xml is:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException (0x80004005): External component has thrown an exception. at WholeTomatoSoftware.VisualAssist.Interop.VaManagedService.GetCommentFromPos(Int32 pos, Int32 alreadyHasComment, Int32& commentFlags) at by.a(SnapshotPoint A_0, Boolean A_1, Int32& A_2) at by.AugmentQuickInfoSession(IQuickInfoSession session, IList`1 quickInfoContent, ITrackingSpan& applicableToSpan) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Language.Intellisense.Implementation.QuickInfoSession.Recalculate() at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Language.Intellisense.Implementation.QuickInfoSession.Start() at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Language.Intellisense.Implementation.DefaultQuickInfoController.OnTextView_MouseHover(Object sender, MouseHoverEventArgs e) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Editor.Implementation.WpfTextView.RaiseHoverEvents()

Any idea?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jan 31 2014 : 10:44:00 PM
At least this offers a temporary work around, which is keeping Enhanced Syntax Coloring turned off.

Which version of VA are you using?

Which colour theme do you have the IDE set to?

IDE Options -> Environment -> General -> Color theme

Next time this crash happens, can you please try and grab a mini dump of the IDE and send us the mini dump file? This page explains doing so:

https://wholetomato.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W303

Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.
yezheng Posted - Jan 31 2014 : 6:47:51 PM
Yes, I have exactly the same list with you.

Looks like the problem happen when I enable the "Advanced Syntax Coloring". VS works fine with it off.

Most of time It happens when I was debugging (step in, step out) / RMB on variables to popup menu. Sometimes it happens even when I didn't do anyting.

quote:
Originally posted by feline

If you look at:

IDE Tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

what extensions are listed on you system? On a full install of VS2012 with VA I have the following extensions listed:

Microsoft Web Developer Tools
NuGet Package Manager
Visual Assist
Visual Studio Extensions for Windows Library for JavaScript

if you have a different list of extensions that could be a factor.

Which programming language are you working in when this happens? Have you noticed any pattern to the crashes?

feline Posted - Jan 31 2014 : 3:34:14 PM

If you look at:

IDE Tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

what extensions are listed on you system? On a full install of VS2012 with VA I have the following extensions listed:

Microsoft Web Developer Tools
NuGet Package Manager
Visual Assist
Visual Studio Extensions for Windows Library for JavaScript

if you have a different list of extensions that could be a factor.

Which programming language are you working in when this happens? Have you noticed any pattern to the crashes?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000