Whole Tomato Software Forums
Whole Tomato Software Forums
Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA degrading performance of VisualStudio2008 !

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mzanin Posted - Feb 10 2014 : 07:43:34 AM
I just started using VA and found a noticeable degradation in performance when interacting with VisualStudio 2008 (C++ projects). For example just changing tabs from one file to another would cause a 2-3 second delay.

After checking procmon.exe (sysinternal tool) I discovered that whenever I change tabs devenv.exe does a QueryOpen for every single vcproj file in my solution (there are a few dozen of them)!

At this point I wasn't convinced that it was VA that was causing this so I disabled it from VS and tried again. Unfortunately I found that the problem wasn't fixed, but I also noticed that VA was still accessing the registry whenever I changed tabs, and that devenv was still doing a QueryOpen for each vcproj.

Next I uninstalled VA and this fixed the performance degradation. So this basically proves that the issue lies with VA.

Now is there something I can do to fix this?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Feb 11 2014 : 7:29:34 PM
We've got the files and will investigate, thank you.
mzanin Posted - Feb 11 2014 : 02:07:06 AM
Ok I have submitted the files as you asked.

Note I am using Win7 (64-bit), Visual Studio 2008 with SP1 and a few hot fixes.

Same behavior can be replicated on a colleagues PC as well.

I have about 122 projects in my solution.
The problem also disappears when I unload all projects apart from a couple.

I have a license.
foxmuldr Posted - Feb 10 2014 : 6:41:38 PM
I use Visual Studio 2008 Professional on C++ projects almost exclusively. My largest solution has 16 projects in it. I am currently using VAX 2007.

I have not seen any of this slowdown behavior. This is true on a native Win7/64-bit machine, as well as several guest Windows 2000 Professional and Windows Server 2003 machines running on Windows and Linux hosts under Oracle VirtualBox.
accord Posted - Feb 10 2014 : 6:07:15 PM
Can you please turn on logging, reproduce the problem, collect the log files and send them in?
http://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W305

You can send the files in using the below form:
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

Please include the URL of this topic in the "Your Request" field, so we can match it up.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000