Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 IDL files not shown in List Includes

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jay.carlton Posted - Mar 03 2014 : 11:45:42 AM
Hi,

For MIDL files (*.idl), it looks like the definition tracking is working well. However, I notice that for these files, the List Include Files menu is disabled. Should it be? I had expected these to work just like other header files for the purposes of that menu.

Thanks,
Jay
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Mar 06 2014 : 11:22:14 AM
Thank you for the elaboration. I have put in a feature request for this:

case=80763
jay.carlton Posted - Mar 06 2014 : 09:34:44 AM
IDL files use a C-ish syntax to set up interfaces and objects that go in type libraries that support COM (and .NET Interop) Automation. If you have many levels of libraries (and IDL files), you can #include one idl file into another, which was my use case here. I do see some instances of including .h files into .idl, but those are limited in my case to integer and character string literals #defined in those headers.

This certainly isn't high priority, though, but if it's a simple matter of adding that extension to the list treated as headers for the purposes of List Include Files, that might help. I haven't tried .hxx, .hh, or .hpp, either.

Likewise, it's possible (although it hurts my head) to #include a cpp file directly.

-Jay
accord Posted - Mar 05 2014 : 6:59:15 PM
I'm not familiar with IDL files, but you don't really include IDL files into source files as far as I know.

So that leaves the possibility of including headers to IDLs?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa367049(v=vs.85).aspx
"While it is often possible to use the #include directive to include header files in your IDL file, it is not recommended."

Usually an include tree shows the files you include and the files that includes the current file.

Can you please describe how would you use this feature?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000