Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 The 'VaMenuPackage' package did not load correctly

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
roman313_ Posted - Jul 25 2023 : 05:14:24 AM
Error on startup will loading the Extension in
Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2022 (64-bit) - Preview
Version 17.7.0 Preview 4.0

The 'VaMenuPackage' package did not load correctly.

Steps to try to fix:
devenv.exe /Setup - cant't help
Re-install Visual Assist - can't help

Visual Assist work OK, but NO ICONS in menu

PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED

The new version, Build 2023.4, version 10.9.2500 has now been released, and contains the fix for this problem:

https://www.wholetomato.com/downloads

*edited by feline*
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Aug 25 2023 : 08:47:13 AM
I agree this has been a very serious problem, and all I can do is apologise that it has taken so long to get a new official release out with the bug fix.
CitizenMM Posted - Aug 25 2023 : 07:12:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

The new version, Build 2023.4, version 10.9.2500 has now been released, and contains the fix for this problem:

Thank you for your continued communication and rapid response to what is a showstopper for some of us!
feline Posted - Aug 25 2023 : 07:08:33 AM

BluGenes Posted - Aug 24 2023 : 2:48:28 PM
Hey..

Ok, so I bought another license since mine expired, but, haven't updated that info in VA yet. I need this fix, so, what do I do now? I went with the perpetual license this time..
jmarien Posted - Aug 24 2023 : 2:21:35 PM
Repro on: Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022 (64-bit) - Current Version 17.7.2

ActivityLog.xml entry:

<time>2023/08/24 18:08:07.864</time>
<type>Error</type>
<source>VisualStudio</source>
<description>SetSite failed for package [VaMenuPackage]Source: 'VaMenuPkg.17' Description: Method not found: 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Imaging.ImageLibrary Microsoft.VisualStudio.Imaging.ImageLibrary.Load(Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTaskFactory, System.String, Boolean, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Utilities.ITracer, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Utilities.IStreamStorage`1<System.String>)'.#x000D;#x000A;System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Imaging.ImageLibrary Microsoft.VisualStudio.Imaging.ImageLibrary.Load(Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTaskFactory, System.String, Boolean, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Utilities.ITracer, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Utilities.IStreamStorage`1<System.String>)'.#x000D;#x000A; at WholeTomatoSoftware.VisualAssist.VaMenuPackage.c.d()#x000D;#x000A; at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)#x000D;#x000A; at WholeTomatoSoftware.VisualAssist.VaMenuPackage.d(CancellationToken A_0)#x000D;#x000A; at WholeTomatoSoftware.VisualAssist.VaMenuPackage.a.f()#x000D;#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---#x000D;#x000A; at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()#x000D;#x000A; at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)#x000D;#x000A; at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.AsyncPackage.<>c__DisplayClass21_0.<<Microsoft-VisualStudio-Shell-Interop-IAsyncLoadablePackageInitialize-Initialize>b__1>d.MoveNext()#x000D;#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---#x000D;#x000A; at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()#x000D;#x000A; at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.VsTask.RethrowException(AggregateException e)#x000D;#x000A; at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.VsTask.InternalGetResult(Boolean ignoreUIThreadCheck)</description>
<guid>{95CEA2D4-E20D-4C59-AC8F-04CBECC0767D}</guid>
<hr>0x80131513</hr>
<errorinfo></errorinfo>

Hope this helps in tracking down the issue.
feline Posted - Aug 24 2023 : 10:15:06 AM
I have emailed you Uniwares, UrbanDiver and jasonsa
jasonsa Posted - Aug 24 2023 : 10:02:22 AM
quote:
I have emailed all of you, just so you don't have to keep waiting.

Also hitting the issue. Can I get link to beta?
UrbanDiver Posted - Aug 24 2023 : 09:57:14 AM
Have been waiting for the update but, in the meantime, can I get a link to the beta?
Thanks in advance!
Uniwares Posted - Aug 24 2023 : 08:44:53 AM
Just turned my PC on after 3 weeks vacation and returned to this issue on my PC too. Kind of annoying but ok, lets hope this gets fixed asap.
feline Posted - Aug 24 2023 : 08:05:35 AM
sjl42, I have double checked, and no sign of any change to menu alignment here, and I have checked a couple of different systems. Also the registry key listed in that article is already set to 0 for me.

As the article mentions, my vague memory of running into the menus opening with the wrong alignment is that it is related to a left hand / right hand user setting for the mouse. But I don't see how or why this would have any effect on the IDE starting up. Either way I have sent you the link to the internal build.
feline Posted - Aug 24 2023 : 07:56:31 AM
I have emailed you sjl42, RalfStokholm and marianob85
marianob85 Posted - Aug 24 2023 : 01:51:18 AM
Hey feline, could you send me the beta link as well please?
RalfStokholm Posted - Aug 24 2023 : 01:39:13 AM
sjl42 Posted - Aug 23 2023 : 12:13:55 PM
I was also having the problem with the VaMenuPackage not loading. At the same time I was getting annoyed at the way VS2022 (V17.7.2) was opening menus to the left. I came across this link https://stackoverflow.com/questions/70485035/is-it-possible-configure-visual-studio-menu-alignment which (after a windows restart) fixed the menu opening, but also the VaMenuPackage error is now gone and the VAssist menus are appearing correctly and working properly. ???????
feline Posted - Aug 23 2023 : 10:34:38 AM
We are hoping to have the fix out in the next couple of days. Personally I am very eager for this to happen, since we should not be having a problem like this.

I have emailed all of you, just so you don't have to keep waiting.
CitizenMM Posted - Aug 23 2023 : 05:57:59 AM
I'll throw my hat in, too. I've been following this thread and while I can click "no" and continue to work, I am patiently waiting for the fix. :)
KoenTanghe Posted - Aug 23 2023 : 05:32:27 AM
Seeing the same problem with that dialog box for some time now.
Currently at Visual Studio 2022 17.7.2 with Visual Assist 10.9.2491.0.
When I click "No" ("Do you want to continue seeing these error messages?" or similar) I can continue and things seem to work.
Glad I'm not seeing a locked up Visual Studio as others seem to report here.
As mael15 said: I am (was) also one of the persons silently waiting for a fix :-)
mael15 Posted - Aug 23 2023 : 04:28:56 AM
quote:
The number of support enquiries about this, while quite a number, is also quite a lot fewer than I would have expected, which suggests that not everyone is rushing to install the latest VS2022 update as soon as it became available.

You might underestimate the number of people like me (until now) that read here that the problem is being taken care of, don't see a point in also writing that they have the same problem and impatiently wait for a fix. It took several working hours to find the problem, reinstalling different visual studio versions included. It really is urgent.
wotrec Posted - Aug 23 2023 : 03:15:07 AM
I really miss the tomato in the new version of Visual Studio(
feline Posted - Aug 22 2023 : 10:35:27 AM
It's not the same, but I do remember problems moving from the pre-release version to the release version of one of the recent versions of Visual Studio.
rajkosto Posted - Aug 22 2023 : 08:26:42 AM
quote:

From a support point of view that would have been rather helpful, but we were mostly ready to release the next build, with new features, so I assume this is why we went with this approach.

The number of support enquiries about this, while quite a number, is also quite a lot fewer than I would have expected, which suggests that not everyone is rushing to install the latest VS2022 update as soon as it became available.

i generally do it after a few days of it nagging me to do it, at worst what happens is that i need to recompile my project, they've never broken plugin ABI before, so this is mostly Microsoft's fault
feline Posted - Aug 22 2023 : 07:20:39 AM
I have emailed you FAN
FAN Posted - Aug 22 2023 : 07:07:35 AM

feline Posted - Aug 22 2023 : 06:23:47 AM
I have emailed you floeren
floeren Posted - Aug 22 2023 : 04:32:00 AM
feline Posted - Aug 21 2023 : 12:31:33 PM
From a support point of view that would have been rather helpful, but we were mostly ready to release the next build, with new features, so I assume this is why we went with this approach.

Either way, I have emailed you about this rajkosto.
rajkosto Posted - Aug 21 2023 : 08:05:06 AM
Why hasn't this been released as a hotfix already ? It's been a week since I can't start VS2022 anymore because of this, it should have been an urgent thing to fix since most people will update their VS install when the autoupdater finds a new version... and you can't go backwards without messing up your install/losing settings.
This seems to be a SINGLE LINE CHANGE and I would have applied the chinese BBS's fix already if I COULD ACTUALLY DOWNLOAD IT (requires account that needs you to be Chinese to register)
feline Posted - Aug 21 2023 : 05:51:20 AM
You can just stick with using an older version of Visual Studio 2022. Version 17.6.6 works just fine. In fact you can download installers for older versions of Visual Studio 2022 from this page if this helps:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/releases/2022/release-history

More generally though, if an update to Visual Studio that is released after your support period ends makes a breaking change that requires a new version of Visual Assist to work with, or a new version of Visual Studio is released, which again would require a new version to support, you would need to renew your support to get access to the new version of Visual Assist.

I hope this makes sense.
BluGenes Posted - Aug 19 2023 : 11:31:04 AM
quote:

Having said that, if you are happy trying an internal build, and your support runs through 1st August 2023 just let me know and I will email you a link to the installer so you can try. So far no reports of problems with this build, but only a few people have tried it so far.

Yea, I don't want a beta build myself, but, what if your support runs out right before that date? I would have to buy another license to fix this?
feline Posted - Aug 17 2023 : 11:53:34 AM
I have emailed you nitz

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000