Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA Not suggesting enum values anymore

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sitnduck Posted - Sep 06 2023 : 09:00:43 AM
Hello! In my brand-new install of Visual Studio 2022 for C++, I can't seem to get enumeration values to work correctly. For example, in the past if I would write this:

eMyEnum myVal = ...

Triggering auto completion would give me a list of eMyEnum values ONLY, which makes sense.

However, with this new install, I get EVERYTHING as a suggestion, starting with #, #define, #if, #else... (and thousands of others).

I looked at my settings and they seem to be similar to my old install. I tried switching between IntelliSense and Visual Assist as the source of suggestions, but it seems to switch between 2 bad options.

There are a couple other places where this kind of lesser behavior is showing up.

I know VA is understanding SOMETHING, because "add missing cases" in a switch statement is working properly.

Thank you for any assistance!
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Sep 06 2023 : 09:12:46 AM
Do you have:

VA Options -> Suggestions -> Include Smart Suggestions

On or Off? If this is Off I would try turning it On, since this is designed to help in cases like this:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W172

It is also possible VA hadn't yet finished parsing everything, but if you had the IDE open long enough to see the problem, I would have expected parsing to have finished, unless you have a REALLY large solution, for example you are working with Unreal Engine.
sitnduck Posted - Sep 06 2023 : 09:02:42 AM
Ok just as I wrote this and came back to my code, it started working! :O All in all, it would be great to know if this was caused by something in particular (which I possibly fixed in the settings but took some time to adjust?)

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000