Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1276: Cannot insert TAB when at the end of symbol

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Cezariusz Posted - Oct 19 2004 : 03:09:16 AM
The simplest case: type int and try to insert TAB:

int|

same for any symbol, valid or invalid:

int var|

TAB key just opens listbox, no way to insert a plain \\t character.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Jun 19 2006 : 4:55:40 PM
Fixed in build 1524:

Suggestions are not selected by default when defining a symbol. Press downarrow to select the first suggestion before pressing Tab to accept. (case=400)
support Posted - Oct 26 2004 : 1:56:03 PM
Suggested bits of code require accepting with Tab or Enter. The problem occurs when you like the feature, but need to insert a Tab. You must clear the suggested bits.

We could disable Tab for suggested bits, i.e. force you to use Enter. (An option??? Ugh.)

We could refrain from suggesting bits when we suspect you might want to type a Tab, e.g. after a type. (Could be impossible to get right. e.g. after a typedef?)

Since the current problem is different from the original in this thread, we closed case=258 and opened a new one.

case=400
feline Posted - Oct 21 2004 : 3:00:02 PM
i am getting this several times a day with .NET 2003 and 1277 *sigh*

in fact, typing Ranier's code into a C++ .h in .NET 2003 with 1277 produces exactly this error, on demand a definite bonus, since it feels random while working.

a work around is to turn off
text editor -> suggestions -> include bits of code from surrounding lines

given this fact, the behaviour makes sense. however, it continues to look like a bug, and it is definitely frustrating me. the old case has been reopened:

case=258
geary Posted - Oct 20 2004 : 05:03:36 AM
Ranier's problem still exists in build 1277 with VS.NET 2003. I've been running into it quite a lot. If you type in the code in his message you should see it happen just as shown.
support Posted - Oct 19 2004 : 7:24:08 PM
Fixed in build 1277.
Cezariusz Posted - Oct 19 2004 : 09:55:05 AM
Yes, VC6, sorry I forgot to mention.
support Posted - Oct 19 2004 : 09:22:53 AM
Cezariusz, We assume you are using VC6? If so, this will be fixed in 1277.
Stephen Posted - Oct 19 2004 : 06:51:17 AM
The suggestion listbox is supposed to go away if the typed word is a valid symbol. I'm not using 1276, but I assume this is a side-effect of the fix for case 343.
Rainer Posted - Oct 19 2004 : 05:49:14 AM
I thought a little longer about this problem.

When I typed "int", the suggestions for example show

That is SOOOO wrong, because after 'int' (and all other symbols like 'float', 'string' etc.) NO suggestions should be shown, because I want to type a NEW Name.
Rainer Posted - Oct 19 2004 : 05:31:23 AM
I think, the problem is, that at the moment *AFTER* the completion of a word it's still in the suggestion Listbox (see also my 'if'-Problem in the Thread "More Bad Suggestions") so the next Keystroke is eventually interpreted as selection from listbox, and because this doesn't insert more characters (it even eats a typed space) the new suggestions don't differ from the old ones.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000