Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Gdi leaks

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bugfix Posted - Sep 02 2005 : 09:10:57 AM
VAX options dialog is causing some gdi leaks.
I noticed that VAX is using codeproject::CDragEditListBox.Coincidentally I needed it for a project as well and fixed some gdi leaks there. See my post at
http://www.codeproject.com/wtl/WTL_EditListBox.asp?df=100&forumid=121182&exp=0&select=1211937#xx1211937xx

Is it possible that the leaks are coming from there?

Also opening and closing a file causing each time 2 gdi objects leaks.
Not sure if those are VAX related though.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Jun 19 2006 : 4:46:39 PM
Fixed yet another handle leak in 1524.
feline Posted - Sep 08 2005 : 5:30:43 PM
that stick keys effect is odd, but i am glad you have found it.
sean Posted - Sep 07 2005 : 3:40:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by bugfix

VAX options dialog is causing some gdi leaks.

thanks - case=744

quote:

Also opening and closing a file causing each time 2 gdi objects leaks.
Not sure if those are VAX related though.

I'm not seeing these leaks in either vs2003 or vs2005.
AdyR Posted - Sep 07 2005 : 09:32:37 AM
I may have found the cause of my GDI leaks; STICKY KEYS. I noticed that every time I switched between source files using Ctrl+TAB, Explorers GDI count would increment by 4 and never go back down again. I use Ctrl+TAB a lot so after about a day Explorer had nearly 10000 GDI objects and then ICONS would start to disappear and windows would not open correctly. The only way to get the GDI memory back was to log out of Windows.
I have now turned Stick Keys off and the GDI count hovers around 500 and Ctrl+TAB has no effect on the count.
AdyR Posted - Sep 07 2005 : 06:37:30 AM
Well it is not VA causing the problem. I uninstalled it on Monday and rebooted then carried on working without it. I have just need to reboot the PC because of the same problem. So, as I get the problem even without VA installed it can't be that.
On one hand I am really pleased as I can go back to using VA but on the other hand I am no closer to solving the problem.
feline Posted - Sep 05 2005 : 3:05:48 PM
hopefully it isn't VA causing this. my winXP pro SP2 machine has a similar problem, but it takes around a week. the trigger seems to be hibernating and resuming the OS over night. the only solution i have found is to reboot *sigh*
AdyR Posted - Sep 04 2005 : 2:43:05 PM
Hi feline,
I haven't studied the call stack in detail but it appears to crash in malloc. The problem is not related to one project and it is random as to which dialog will cause the problem. It is often the common file dialog but this is the one that appears the most so it is not surprising. Basically it is as if Windows just runs out of memory for GDI objects, which is why bugfix's post caught my attention.
While debugging I tend to do a lot of file opening and closing in VS as I step through code and search for things.
I have considered disabling VA to see if it helps but I just can't stand being without it, especially as it probably isn't the cause of the problem. I will try going back to 1301 as I used that for a long time without problems so if I still get problems I can be 99.9% sure it is not VA.
feline Posted - Sep 04 2005 : 1:11:45 PM
bugfix i have passed this onto the developers, thank you

AdyR are you able to get a call stack from the IDE when it crashes? i honestly don't know if this is related to VA or not. it doesn't sound likely, but it is not impossible. it is probably worth trying disabling VA before running your application in debug to see if this makes any difference.

does your program crash, or exhibit any odd behaviours when you open this dialog if you run the debug build without the IDE's involvement?

these tests should give some clues as to what is causing the problems.

if you find you need to go back to 1301 and have problems with VA not working then post here and we should be able to resolve them. ideally we want to find and fix the problem in 1418.
AdyR Posted - Sep 02 2005 : 2:10:22 PM
I have been getting lots of GPF's in VS 2003 recently where the whole environment dies, normally when I try to open a dialog box in an application that I am debugging. After several crashes I start to loose the icons from XP's start bar and dialog boxes all get corrupted. If I don't shutdown as soon as I start to see that happen then there is a good chance that I will not be able to get the shutdown window to appear.

Do you think this could be related?

The problems seemed to start after I updated to build 1418 but the reason I updated was to try it with VS2005 so that could be the culprit. I have also installed a few Windows updates and some other utilities so the problem could caused be any number of things.
I am reluctant to go back to 1301 as it cause problems on my home PC when the trial run out.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000