Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VAX 1426: bug in conversion from . to ->

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zteven Posted - Oct 12 2005 : 05:03:29 AM
Hi,

Consider the following:

class A {};
A* b;
A c=*b;

If I type 'c.' it gets converted to 'c->'. Furthermore, pressing backspace does not undo the conversion, it brings me back to 'c'. I have to resort to typing 'c .<left><backspace><right>'.

Using build 1426 and Visual Studio 6.

Bye,
Steven
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Mar 07 2006 : 6:34:48 PM
case 832 fixed in build 1442.
feline Posted - Oct 18 2005 : 5:25:44 PM
yes, the same happens for me. good catch backspace not undoing the conversion of dot to -> is a separate bug

case=850
Zteven Posted - Oct 18 2005 : 11:23:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline
as for backspace not working, i am mystified. backspace undoes the change for me in VC6 SP6 using VA 1426.

I did some more experimenting:

- Backspace after the arrow returns to 'c'
- Open Tools->Options->Compatibility
- Choose "Developer Studio"
- Backspace after the arrow returns to 'c.'
- Again, open Tools->Options->Compatibility
- Check an option, uncheck it, press OK
- Backspace after the arrow returns to 'c'

Hope this helps. At least now I now how I can get that undo back.
feline Posted - Oct 17 2005 : 3:30:29 PM
i have discovered that this problem also happens on references, and that this version of the problem does not care if you stop and let VA catch up with your changes.

as for backspace not working, i am mystified. backspace undoes the change for me in VC6 SP6 using VA 1426.
Zteven Posted - Oct 17 2005 : 02:52:07 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

interesting. when you pause VA's parser detects that you are idle, so it takes the opportunity to reparse any recent changes in your code. this suggests that the problem is that the parser is running behind.

do you have a particularly slow machine? or is the machine under a lot of load?

Yes, my machine is pretty slow (Pentium III Mobile 1.13 Ghz, 512 MB RAM).

quote:

however if this theory is the whole story then this should never happen on existing code that VA has re-parsed. also i have just inserted this code into VS 2003 with VA 1426, and after leaving it for about 1 minute the dot was still converted to an arrow.

I have VS 2003 here too, and I don't see the delay effect there. So it may be specific to VS6. By the way, I noticed that in VS 2003, typing backspace returns the dot. Nice feature, I'd like that in VS6 too. :-)

Bye,
Steven
feline Posted - Oct 14 2005 : 2:46:06 PM
interesting. when you pause VA's parser detects that you are idle, so it takes the opportunity to reparse any recent changes in your code. this suggests that the problem is that the parser is running behind.

do you have a particularly slow machine? or is the machine under a lot of load?

however if this theory is the whole story then this should never happen on existing code that VA has re-parsed. also i have just inserted this code into VS 2003 with VA 1426, and after leaving it for about 1 minute the dot was still converted to an arrow.
Zteven Posted - Oct 14 2005 : 05:01:52 AM
Both Alt-BS and Ctrl-Z delete the entire arrow and do not return the dot.

Strangely enough, introducing a pause of several seconds before I press the dot has the effect that the dot is not converted to an arrow.

Bye,
Steven
feline Posted - Oct 13 2005 : 3:27:03 PM
oops, my mistake. i have put in a case for the conversion.

case=832

i don't know why backspace does not work for you though. what happens if you press ALT-BACKSPACE or CTRL-Z (both shortcuts to undo) after the conversion? for me both of these undo the conversion.
Zteven Posted - Oct 13 2005 : 03:01:58 AM
Why do you expect '->'? Variable c is an A object, not a pointer. If i have 'A c;' as the last line (without the '= *b', it correctly keeps my dot when I type it.

It tried this in a new project, with the same results. Pressing backspace deletes the entire arrow, without returning the dot.

Bye,
Steven
feline Posted - Oct 12 2005 : 2:58:18 PM
odd. pasting this code into a cpp file in VC6 with VA 1426, when i add the line:

c.|

i get:

c->|

as expected. plus pressing backspace converts -> back into dot

can you check this in a new cpp file? do you have another project you could test this in? there could be something in your existing code that is confusing VA.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000