Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA and CodeRush issues

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cycnus Posted - Oct 20 2005 : 8:08:10 PM
Hi,
I owe some Developer Express products, including their CodeRush and Refactor! IDE tools for Visual Studio 2003.
While excellent and more wide-ranging in features than Visual Assist, I still love VA and find its intellassist and syntax highlighting to be more useful than what is offered in CodeRush.
The issue is that there is an exception thrown whenever you exit Visual Studio after working in it for a few minutes.

I reported the problem to Developer Express and they mention that after investigation the exception happens outside of their call stack, after their plugins have actually shutdown. They also mentioned making a bug report to you recently.

In any case, I would really consider purchasing VA, but not if I can't have a stable environment to work with as a result. I won't unload the Developer Express tools because they are very useful to me but I sure wish I could use VA at the same time.
29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cycnus Posted - Mar 16 2006 : 7:26:26 PM
Support contacted me a few days ago to try their the latest version of VA.
I contacted in turn Developer Express and asked them if they could check it as well.
They reported (check their coderush newsgroups on news.devexpress.com) that the new version doesn't cause the crash on closing of VS any longer and that they even identified an issue with CodeRush that they corrected.
So hopefully we shouldn't suffer any more major issues between VA and DXCore products.

I just hope and wish that both companies keep testing their products for potential conflicts with others. I think that it's in everyone best interest that all of these excellent tools play along, after all, we expect of them to help us, not aggravate us...

Thanks a lot to both support teams for their fixes.
support Posted - Mar 06 2006 : 8:59:18 PM
We isolated the problem and the fix will be in our next release -- due in a few days.

Thank you for everyone's assistance.
Mark Miller Posted - Mar 03 2006 : 4:23:23 PM
I think the best thing to do is to have one of your devs contact me (markm aatt devexpress ddott ccomm), and we'll get this sorted out.

The challenge for us so far has been that the DXCore and all the products that rely upon it are completely unloaded by the time the exception is thrown, and VA_X.dll is the closest (and only) third-party product in the call stack. There simply does not appear to be a way that Developer Express can solve this problem without some direction from Whole Tomato.

And yes, it is important for us to resolve this issue. Developer tools should all work well together (it's good for everybody's business).

When we originally investigated this problem in October 2005, the following exception was thrown on shutdown, after our products were unloaded:

Unhandled exception at 0x791ef5d2 (mscorwks.dll) in devenv.exe: 0xC0000005:
Access violation reading location 0x029110fc.

And here's the call stack:

> 080376da()
user32.dll!_InternalCallWinProc@20() + 0x28 bytes
user32.dll!_UserCallWinProcCheckWow@32() + 0xb7 bytes
user32.dll!_CallWindowProcAorW@24() + 0x51 bytes
user32.dll!_CallWindowProcA@20() + 0x1b bytes
VA_X.dll!1ee5f844()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for
VA_X.dll]
VA_X.dll!1ee5fee0()
VA_X.dll!1ed0fdbf()
VA_X.dll!1ee5ee0d()
VA_X.dll!1ee84868()
VA_X.dll!1ee5f016()
user32.dll!_InternalCallWinProc@20() + 0x28 bytes
user32.dll!_UserCallWinProcCheckWow@32() + 0xb7 bytes
user32.dll!_DispatchClientMessage@20() + 0x4d bytes
user32.dll!___fnDWORD@4() + 0x24 bytes
ntdll.dll!_KiUserCallbackDispatcher@12() + 0x13 bytes
user32.dll!_NtUserPeekMessage@20() + 0xc bytes
user32.dll!_PeekMessageA@20() + 0xfb bytes
msenv.dll!ThunderMsgLoop() + 0x5fa2a bytes
msenv.dll!CMsoCMHandler::FPushMessageLoop() + 0x1f bytes
MSO.DLL!SCM::FPushMessageLoop() + 0x92 bytes
MSO.DLL!SCM_MsoCompMgr::FPushMessageLoop() + 0x2b bytes
msenv.dll!CMsoComponent::PushMsgLoop() + 0x26 bytes
msenv.dll!_VStudioMain() + 0x137 bytes
devenv.exe!util_CallVsMain() + 0xb4 bytes
devenv.exe!CDevEnvAppId::Run() + 0x614 bytes
devenv.exe!_WinMain@16() + 0x4c bytes
devenv.exe!_WinMainCRTStartup() + 0x5f88 bytes
kernel32.dll!_BaseProcessStart@4() + 0x23 bytes
Harald Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 09:02:50 AM
i second that. it is time to get this sorted out. fortunately, i am not seeing crashes with vax and refactor pro but they sure don't like to share the same bed... in my installation the vax drop lists disappeared and none of the suggestions i read in this forum are helping.
i think it is time for the wholetomato team and the developerexpress team to COOPERATE on this issue.
i bet this would yield a solution very quickly...
svschfer Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 05:25:27 AM
If begging does not help, what would help? Now that Developer Express is playing with C++ support in CodeRush and Refactor! it may be about time to get this sorted out.
feline Posted - Feb 04 2006 : 3:25:29 PM
i will ask support about this one. unfortunatly begging is unlikely to help much, this problem seems to effect multiple plugin's, so could be relatively fundamental in nature.
nsxdavid Posted - Feb 03 2006 : 7:23:34 PM
If we begged, would that help? :)
feline Posted - Dec 28 2005 : 5:09:51 PM
none that i am aware of unfortunately. this seems to be a somewhat tricky matter.
cycnus Posted - Dec 27 2005 : 10:06:34 PM
Any progress on solving these issues?
svschfer Posted - Nov 29 2005 : 06:04:41 AM
For me the context and definition fields do appear and Alt+M works as always, I only get the crash on IDE shutdown.
support Posted - Nov 28 2005 : 7:59:25 PM
We can reproduce the problems. Our context and definition fields don't appear, Alt+M makes the IDE disappear, and lots of exceptions on shutdown.

We suspect the conflicts are a result of having two add-ins subclass the same windows.

We assume Darren was unable to reproduce the problem because he tested VS2005.

We'll continue to look into the conflict and see if we can find a solution.

case=896
svschfer Posted - Nov 27 2005 : 7:10:23 PM
Darren,

Mark Miller from Developer Express replied in this thread

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3082

on the same topic. They have done some in-house testing and, according to Mark, already contacted WT support with details on their findings. If you do not succeed in reproducing they problem it may be worthwhile to look up Marks mail or to contact him directly.
svschfer Posted - Nov 27 2005 : 6:52:44 PM
Darren,

According to Developer Express the problem is reproducible even with DXCore only installed (both CodeRush and Refactor! Pro basically are Plugins for DXCore).

It appears that we mixed Refactor! and Refactor Pro! in this thread. I referred to Refactor! Pro since this is the only product which is available standalone. As far as I know Refactor! ships with Visual Studio 2005 but is available for VB .NET Projects only since C# has native Refactoring support. A trial version of Refactor! Pro is available from http://www.devexpress.com/Downloads/NET/Refactor/. The current version of DXCore is available from http://www.devexpress.com/Downloads/NET/DXCore/.

I'm currently using Refactor! Pro and VA X 1434 with VS .NET 2003 and VS 2005. To date I only have converted some Smart Device projects to VS2005 and haven't had the time to test everything thoroughly but it looks like that the crash does not occur with VS2005.

The key to reproduce the problem in VS .NET 2003 appears to be to have some files open for editing. So to reproduce the problem in VS .NET 2003 make sure both, Refactor Pro! and VA X are enabled on IDE startup. Create a C# project with some files in it and open/edit the files in source view (add some method stubs and variable declarations, this is not always required but to make sure the crash will happen). Optionally save the changes and compile the project. Close the project and exit VS .NET, VS .NET will crash on exit.
Darren Posted - Nov 27 2005 : 10:54:51 AM
cycnus, svschfer,
I've tried to reproduce this crash unsuccessfully. Can you give me a step by step procedure? The only thing different is that I only have Refactor Pro! installed and not CodeRush.

I also noticed that you reference Refactor! and not Refactor Pro! I don't see that on the Developer Express website. Does it come with Visual Studio or something? Maybe a "lite" version of Refactor Pro!?

Thanks,
Darren
support Posted - Nov 24 2005 : 12:16:50 PM
We goofed by mixing Resharper and Refactor. We are doing some more testing.
svschfer Posted - Nov 23 2005 : 2:41:13 PM
As far as I can tell this problem does not exist in the released version of VS 2005 with VA X 1418 and the latest release of Refactor! Pro installed.
cycnus Posted - Nov 22 2005 : 8:32:54 PM
Any chance of a proper reply from support on this long standing issue?

Thanks for any help...
feline Posted - Nov 15 2005 : 7:01:59 PM
i think ReSharper is just a habit response, we get quite a few threads about it. apologies for this, i have emailed support pointing this out.
cycnus Posted - Nov 14 2005 : 11:54:22 PM
Who is talking about Resharper?
This thread is about CodeRush and Refactor! from Developer Express.
I tried VA X Build 1432 and the problem is still there: VS2003 crashes on exit.

Sorry, but this issue is not closed.
support Posted - Nov 13 2005 : 6:44:14 PM
We are able to run Resharper in VS.NET without problem using VA X build 1430.
feline Posted - Nov 07 2005 : 5:03:58 PM
i have emailed support about this, but due to illness they are running a little behind at the moment.
cycnus Posted - Nov 06 2005 : 7:52:23 PM
Well, the workaround didn't work for long and now VS2003 will crash again on exit, systematically.
Any hint of a news on what we can expect in the next releases?
Any work being done on this issue or could we at least get some kind of official answer on this, all I've seen so far are pseudo-answers blaming technical issues that do not explain anything or let anyone know if a fix is even under investigation, or if nothing is planned.

I'm sure if the developers of VAX would contact DevExpress directly, they will find them accomodating as they really want Visual Studio addins to work together (it impacts their business too).

Just as a note, this issue is not on the list of known problems http://www.wholetomato.com/support/problems.html, so if there is no plan to attempt to fix it, it should be clearly mentionned.
svschfer Posted - Oct 26 2005 : 5:35:05 PM
Preventing DXCore from loading on startup appears to fix the problem, however this is a workaround and I'd like to see a real solution. To coexist with other AddIns should really have more priority for WT. If this takes as long as the solution to the ReSharper issues (CodeRush and Refactor! were affected by this as well, 1418 is the first general release build of VA X which actually works with any of them)...
cycnus Posted - Oct 24 2005 : 02:14:08 AM
Actually, the folks at Developper Express take this seriously.
They can't solve the issue completely but have found a workaround that, if not completely convenient, at least seems to get rid of of the crashing on exit.
I quote their answer from a recent thread that I started on their newsgroups devexpress.public.dotnet.coderush:

There may be a work-around until you get a fixed VAX.

In our tests, we were unable to reproduce the problem if we loaded the
DXCore *after* VS started (VAX is already loaded by then).

To make this work, you'll need to load DXCore manually after starting VS,
but this is pretty easy to do.

Steps to try this work-around are as follows:

1. From Visual Studio's Tools menu, select "Add-in Manager...".
2. In the list of "Available Add-ins", find "DevExpress Tools".
3. In the "Startup" column on the right, clear the checkbox.
4. Click OK.
5. Close VS.

Now, when you start VS, do this:

1. From the Tools menu, select "Load DevExpress Tools".

This will load CodeRush and Refactor!.

So far, it worked for me too.
I would also recommend disabling any features that you don't use in each plugin. For instance, I disabled CodeRush's intellassit and options for the Smart bracket/parentheses management (with the exception of the "Smart semi-colon" which is still useful).
In VAX, I removed all templates since some of them interfere with Coderush which has a much more extensive templating system.
svschfer Posted - Oct 23 2005 : 06:41:35 AM
I'd like to add my vote here, I'm using Refactor Pro! from Developer Express along with VA X in Visual Studio .NET 2003. The crash on exit is annoying at best, especially since this prevents modifications to the toolbar layout etc. from being saved.
cycnus Posted - Oct 22 2005 : 9:56:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

unfortunately VA is incompatible with CodeRush

But then I have a question: how does VAX play with Visual Studio 2005?
Visual Basic will ship with a refactoring tool Refactor! integrated within the IDE. This tool uses the same underlying technology that CodeRush uses: DXCore. In fact, CodeRush and Refactor! are plugins of DXCore.
Is VS2005 built differently that now multiple IDE addins can coexist without stepping on each-other's toes?
support Posted - Oct 22 2005 : 1:53:55 PM
Try unloading one addin (but not at startup) just prior to exiting your IDE.

Tools|Add-in Manager
feline Posted - Oct 22 2005 : 1:16:59 PM
unfortunately VA is incompatible with CodeRush

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3082&SearchTerms=CodeRush
cycnus Posted - Oct 22 2005 : 12:14:18 AM
OK, so I took the plunge and bought a license for VAX, hoping that this will help raising the consideration this issue will get.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000