Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Email re Compaq Fortran

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RhinoBanga Posted - Jan 04 2006 : 03:52:06 AM
Hi,

I am a registered user with a years support and sent an email to support on the 20th of December and haven't had a response.

I can appreciate that the holidays is a factor in getting a reply but I'm starting to feel that it has got "lost".

What is the normal turn around time for support?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
fpaynter Posted - May 07 2006 : 10:42:15 AM
Thanks to the poster for the great detective work and the clear workaround steps!

I had the same thing happen to me recently after installing Compaq Visual Fortran on my system. After the install I got the same error the next time I launched the VC6 IDE from the desktop. Changing the associations for .DSW & .DSP back to msdev.exe, re-enabling VA under Tools > Customize > Macros and Add-Ins, and closing/re-opening the VC6 IDE got me back to VA-land again - yay!

Frank
support Posted - Jan 09 2006 : 12:26:46 PM
Clever detective work.

Thank you for posting the workaround.
RhinoBanga Posted - Jan 09 2006 : 09:18:57 AM
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys.

Compaq Fortran installs a new executable DFDEV.EXE which (IIRC) is just the same as MSDEV.EXE except it shows a different splash screen.

I changed the .DSW association from DFDEV.EXE to MSDEV.EXE and now everything is fine.
support Posted - Jan 07 2006 : 10:48:30 PM
feline's assumption is consistent with what we can ascertain -- there is some sort of conflict between VA X and Compaq Fortran. Fortunately, you have reasonably good workarounds to the problem.

Can you craft a small, sample solution that exhibits the problem? Send it to us via email. We can take a look for anything obvious that might confuse VA X but without Compaq Fortran ourselves, we might not have much luck.
feline Posted - Jan 07 2006 : 2:16:31 PM
interesting. if i am reading your email diagram correctly this problem is being reported by something called "Compaq Visual Fortran", which i assume is something you have installed, and has installed its self as a plugin in VC6.

from the following web page

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechSoftwareDetailPage_IDX/1,1703,7088,00.html

it seems that this product is no longer for sale, so they are probably not providing a demo version that i could download and try.

i tried double clicking on a DSP file in explorer, but since i have VC6, VS2003 and VS2005 installed on the same test machine i had to right click the DSP file and select "open with" to open it in VC6. for me the solution opened quite happily, and VA is enabled and working fine.

if you get the same problem as above when using "open with" then this is probably a conflict between the Fortran plugin and VAX.

without access to a copy of Compaq Visual Fortran i am not sure how much can be done about this.
RhinoBanga Posted - Jan 05 2006 : 05:40:22 AM
Hi feline,

The email was titled "VAX being disabled when firing up a DevStudio workspace via Windows Explorer" and here is the contents:

quote:

Here is our license info:

VA_X.dll file version 10.2.1438.0 built 2005.12.16
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2006.09.14
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.1.9
VATE.dll version 1.0.4.11
MSDev.exe version 6.0.9782.2
Devshl.dll version 6.0.9782.0
Devedit.pkg version 6.0.9782.0
Font: Lucida Console 11(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Single processor

Platform: Win32 (x86)
Stable Includes:
D:\\Development\\Perforce\\C\\ThirdParty;
C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\MICROSOFT SDK\\INCLUDE;
C:\\vega\\xp\\rel\\STL;
C:\\vega\\xp\\rel\\include;
C:\\vega\\xp\\src\\modules;
C:\\vega\\xp\\rel\\Tango\\include;
C:\\vega\\xp\\rel\\Oracle\\include;
C:\\vega\\xp\\rel\\Carnac\\include;
C:\\vega\\xp\\rel\\VTK\\include;
C:\\vega\\xp\\rel\\QScintilla\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\ATL\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\DF98\\Include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\Include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\DF98\\IMSL\\Include;
C:\\Program Files\\ArrayVisualizer\\Include;
D:\\Development\\Perforce\\C\\ThirdParty\\cppunit\\include;
D:\\DEVELOPMENT\\PERFORCE\\C\\JCLASSLIB;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\SRC;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\ATL\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\CRT\\SRC;

Other Includes:

I have noticed an annoying problem when double-clicking on a .DSW in Windows Explorer. When DevStudio fires up I get the error:

---------------------------
Compaq Visual Fortran
Visual Assist X Add-in in C:\\vega\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X\\VAssist.dll

Unable to load this add-in because its server object failed to be created. This add-in will not be loaded by default in the future.
OK

However when the workspace finally loads I can go into "Tools/Customize/Add-ins and macros" and enable VA just fine.

Also I can startup DevStudio from the Start menu and open up a workspace and VA works fine there.

Any ideas?

feline Posted - Jan 04 2006 : 4:50:34 PM
it is possible the email was lost, and never reached support, or was filed as spam

i will chaise support about this. what was the email about, so they know which email to look for?

also you can post the bug report to the forum and i will have a look, so long as it does not require attached files.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000