Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 My Experiences with VA

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
soundman32 Posted - Jan 13 2006 : 04:22:23 AM
I used VA at my previous job on a medium sized project (~300K lines, 10dlls), and couldn't live without it. At interview for my current job, I mentioned it and raved about it.

Upon starting the job I found the major product was a Linux/Windows hybrid, designed by Unix guys, using makefiles for both Linux & Windows.
This is a large project (>500k lines 30dlls) built with VC6.

I set about making a dsp/dsw to ease my way in and also installed a demo version of VA-X.

Twas then I found that the majority of classes used automatically generated class definitions where most of the class definition is stored in a .dbH file which is included in the .H file.

e.g.

MY.h file
#ifndef MY_H
#define MY_H

#include "My.dbH"
public:
   void more_functions();
};

#endif MY_H

My.dbH - auto generated at build time

class My_Class
{
public: // etc

This of course breaks the parser in normal intellisense as well as VA.

Recently I've tried to use VA with a standalone project (VS2005) and even then is seems not as good as before. Of course my 30day trial is now up, so I can't continue to evaluate.

So in summary, it's good, but perhaps not for a large non-VS project.

p.s. Can't wait to use it on a small VC6 project again. It's like a homecoming :-)
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Jan 14 2006 : 01:16:24 AM
If the dbH files remain after your builds, you can have VA X parse them by telling the IDE and VA X about the special extension.

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.html#extension

Make sure the IDE settings include the path to your dbH files. (We presume this is already the case since the compiler must resolve the #includes.)

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000