Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Symbol Search

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
daThomas Posted - Jan 25 2006 : 12:09:35 PM
Hi,

is there a possibility to change the kind of symbols searched or perhaps the files that are parsed for this feature?
Ich have a very large project and it would be great to be able to just select member functions for example.

thanks,
Thomas
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Feb 06 2006 : 12:49:46 AM
We try the FSIW dialog with a large project on a slow PC -- 800 MHz. We maximize and PageDown six times before the thumbnail moves one pixel. Performance seems fine. That said...

The dialog is really meant for filtering, not as a browser. Type a few letters to reduce the number of entries in it.

And make sure "Show only symbols defined in the current workspace" is checked if appropriate.

feline Posted - Feb 04 2006 : 3:20:08 PM
what you are asking for is very interesting. i am wondering how feasible some of these filters are. filtering out #define lines used to avoid multiple includes is possibly hard, is you want to leave other #include entries in the list, since you are then effectively asking VA to assign additional meaning to your code.

all symbols actually included, or in current scope could be tricky some of the time, i am thinking of code with a lot of #ifdef blocks in it, e.g. code that targets multiple OS's.

having said that setting the dialog to only show you certain classes of symbols, e.g. functions or enum's makes sense. how does some for of pick list "only show type: " sound? you could then select the type of symbol to show in the list. the problem with this is that you have to open the dialog to set the pick list, so it does not help with the initial speed.

does this sound like it would do what you want? such a simple pick list would not allow you to see all functions and enums while ignoring everything else.
daThomas Posted - Feb 03 2006 : 09:33:21 AM
No. I meant, that i wanted to decrease the number of symbols displayed. I have a big project with lots of symbols. When i maximize the symbol search window, there are about 50 symbols visible. After pressing page down 8 times (400 symbols!) the scrollbar button moves down one pixel!
The search is very slow (3 sec for update and about 5 sec until the list of symbols appears) because it is so much to search in. Thats ok.

But therefore, it would be cool to have the possibility to define the kind of symbols i want to see.
For example, i never want see any #defines in my headers to avoid multiple including.
It would be great for example, just to see all functions or the global variables or all symbols in the actual scope or all symbols directly/indirectly included.

Isn't that a featurem, that more people would like to use?
feline Posted - Jan 25 2006 : 5:49:46 PM
if you mean the FSIW dialog then type the class name, then a dot, then start typing the member function name.

if you want more flexibility then type the class name, then a *space* and then type part of the member function name. all words separated by a space are searched for, regardless of order.

you do need a fairly recent build of VA to use the space separator method.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000